Scenes and assets Daz Studio 4.8

Hi

I cant find the answer to this, which seems curious, as it must be a common question.  Does the new Daz system for exporting scene assets and scenes allow the files to be opened on another PC?  I have tried testing this with a model I made but as it uses Iray shaders I cannot view it propertly on my laptop as it does not have an Nvidia card.  I understand that Daz saves all items with the path to local folders and that just saving somthing and trying to open it on another PC will result in lost textures and broken links.  Is this the case with exported assets?

Many thanks

Keith 

Comments

• Oh and this is the model

D2.jpg
    1004 x 819 - 597K
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2015

The duf format basically just references other assets(with the exception of few bits..). So if you want to use them properly on another machine it will need to have the same content already installed.(been this way since 4.5)

The duf format is much better than the old .daz file days. I hate the fact I have so much stuff in .daz format I can never open again because the original computer died. The files often load nothing at all that is usable. With DUF you just need to know which pieces of content need to be installed. For laptops, I suggest copying your content folder to an external drive and setting up that drive as the content path in the Studio preferences.

You should be able to see Iray fine on PC without Nvidia. I know I can. It's slow as all, but it surely works.

Regarding any particular 4.8 stuff I can't help, but sure someone will :) What particular exporting feature are you speaking off, my export options are the same as they have been for years with the exception of MI option. I don't think you want to use an export option personally. It won't be a proper DS file at that point.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • R1CH1R1CH1 Posts: 80

hey ,, I'm currently using Daz 4.6...  how long has 4.8 been out?  is it still in beta?  is it buggy?  Did you install it over 4.6  or is this your first install?

I'm just being curious thanks

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

The beta was in March, the general release came out of beta in May, I updated from 4.7 using DIM.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    R1CH1 said:

hey ,, I'm currently using Daz 4.6...  how long has 4.8 been out?  is it still in beta?  is it buggy?  Did you install it over 4.6  or is this your first install?

Well....you missed 4.7 so, it's been over a year since you've updated.  4.8 has been out of beta for  six weeks or so.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    mjc1016 said:
    R1CH1 said:

Well....you missed 4.7 so, it's been over a year since you've updated.  4.8 has been out of beta for  six weeks or so.

more like 10 weeks

• Hi larsmidnatt

Thanks for the info.  I'm a bit slow replying as I didnt have my notication settings set up to tell me when somone commented.  I wish there was some way to save everthing together without having to worry about folder structure.  How did people make clothing and stuff that could be loaded with an installer?  Does anyone know how to do this or alternatively know of a good tutorial?

Best wishes 

Keith

• The option for exporting that I am talking about is circled in the attached picture.

Capture.JPG
    647 x 743 - 65K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    mjc1016 said:
    R1CH1 said:

more like 10 weeks

I keep forgetting that the first version of 4.8 was 4.8.0.55....and yeah, that's right it was few weeks between them.

• Maybe saving from Carrara as a Daz Collada file would be a better option?

ps I notice that I am alone in my discussion;)

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2015

Maybe saving from Carrara as a Daz Collada file would be a better option?

ps I notice that I am alone in my discussion;)

"You are not alone. I am here with you. Though your far away, I'm here to stay" Or some such rubbish. *wink*

You would not save it as a support asset.Support assets are local and you would have to package those assets as products to share with any sort of ease, more work...and they still tuck the geometry somewhere kinda hidden.

You would save it as a scene subset. Which is going to be a DUF file. Again, the items will need to also be installed on the other computer for this to work as DUF doesn't typically contain textures/geometry and only references them. You could force geometry into DUF...but not textures. So might as well just install the content on both machines and you won't even need to save as a scene subset.

So just install the content on both boxes. It's not avoidable. I kinda recall they didn't want to give away free content if people shared DUF. So in order for it to work you still needed to have those assets on the machine to work.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Thanks Larsmnatt

I made some progress today (of a sort).  I discovered how to make it into a product and this saved the model with some, but not all, textures.  I'm now wondering if things woukd have worked out fine if I had built the right folder structure and save the textures in them so that the paths would work.  I'm sure what I am trying to do is possible because I have bougt and installed producte made by others.  I am begining to suspect that either content producers are not keen on sharing information or they are on some other forum.  

Regards

Keith