obj file splitting to 3d print

Does anybody know how I can split a character in 2 so I can 3d print her? I have the obj file but she is one person and needs to be chopped in half so I can then make the stl file and then I can print her 

Comments

• Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740

You could use Hexagon (or any other Software that can handle the wavefront object file format), select the polys of the geometry you want to have removed, then delete them and finally export your newly chopped-in-half person as a new obj. Will work with horizontally or vertically chopping.

The most complicated part would be to create a surface for the "interior", for the figures are (like politicians :D) hollow by nature.

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited August 2015

3D printing only prints the shell, in most instances, it fills the solid with bridge-work, if you use that option.

Yes, Hexagon should work. No need to fill the insides with anything. But flip the other half 180-deg to build it upside-down, unless you are adding a base, you want the "guts" to both be flat seams for post-welding or glue.

However, your conversion software to 3D should also give you the option of printing cropped objects too. What are you using to print in 3D?

Wait, which way are you cutting her? Abdomen, or length-wise?

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • I want to print her from the feet up to the waist, then I want to make another print from the waist upto the head so I can double her size as my printer only allows a model so tall to be printed. And I am not sure what conversion software it is I got one programme with the Wanhao I can print the stl files from the mem card so once I create them they go on there and then I just print it is a little confusing for me right now and is hexagon a free software? 

• Netfabb is like serious money which I dont have and I am really struggling with this now 

• I would pay if somebody would do this for me as I am struggling badly and need to progress with my project so is anybody willing to do this? 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Unfortunately there is no way anyone can do this for you legally as, if your figure is based on a DAZ 3D figure, it would be against the DAZ 3D EULA to send the OBJ in question to someone else.

• So it cannot be done even though it is nothing like any figure daz has on its site? and also it is for personal use? as a hobby for a project I am doing? this is ridiculous 

Is it based on a DAZ 3D figure?

• How do you mean is it based on a daz 3d figure? the figures can be loaded in daz and I am not sure what was used, but seriously it is a bit stupid if daz owns all the work you create dont you think? if I designed it I should be able to print it 

I mean did you start off with a DAZ 3D figure,  Ie V4, genesis i,2 or 3 or any other female figure purchased at the DAZ 3D store?

• I am not sure I did not craete them I saw them on Renderotica and asked for the designs to use, but if they was created using a V4 ect they have been altered and look nothing like this.

• If it's an original mesh, entirely made by the person from who you obtained it, then they can give you permission to pass it to another for splitting. However, if it is a human that's unlikely to be the case - most humans derive from the DAZ figures or the figures included with Poser, neither of which may be distributed (so even giving you the OBJ would then have been wrong). You need to find out what, if anything, was used as a source mesh for the item before you can go any further - check any read me for starters.