MDL equivalent of the Altitude node?

SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521

I'm exploring IRAY and the shader mixer, wee. Is there an equivalent in MDL to the RSL altitude node? I found a Height node, but the output is I, not F, so I can't use it properly to blend materials. I'm assuming I is "integer", no idea what kind of units that's in, or what to divide it by to get a 0..1 range for my blend colors node. It has a choice of operating in texture_2d or texture_3d, but I'm not really clear what that is either. I'm particularly interested in the "Object space" version of the Altitude node.

I tried going to the online help link but apparently I don't have enough rights!?

Post edited by Syndaryl on

Comments

• SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521

More digging around. I found a "position" node, but I get a point out (naturally) and I can't figure out how to decompose a Point into separate X Y and Z values. In RSL I could cheat by shoving it through one of the colour processing nodes, but I can't find an equivalent. If I can isolate the Y value (and presuming this is the point of the pixel on the surface, not the origin of the object) I might be able to do something...

But I'd need to know the maximum point on the entire figure. ARG.