Sci-Fi Square (rendering problem)

Does anyone have a problem with iray preview/rendering with the environment Sci-Fi Square by Mely3D (https://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-square#:~:text=Sci-Fi Square is a,scenes in the smallest details.).

It seems to be unable to iray preview or render. sometimes it does but its only a small chance of it actually previewing correctly.

Comments

• pctech4nypctech4ny Posts: 181
    edited March 21

Yep me too in 2024. I think the included Iray scene presets are broken. I am going to try loading the props and rebuild my own scene and see if that works.

(If a mod could move this to Technical Support might be helpful if we want to troubleshoot.)

Post edited by pctech4ny on

Oh for... all I get is a black render, even with reboot of PC and load Daz fresh.

Checking log, all I was able to get out of it was that my 6GB VRAM GTX 1660 exceeded memory.

And it seems even the plant pots have 8k textures...

This asset clearly calls for using Scene Optimizer on it to reduce the texture sizes.

Plus doing the rendering on my newer PC with 12GB VRAM RTX 3060.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,076

Yes, a 6GB card is pretty limited with recent versions of Iray - mine wouldn't even handle a base figure and the default lighting.

Yeah but the asset is from 2017. I found  some comments about this set in the thread for Scene Optimizer; it is just chock full of 8k textures for stuff like plant pots and such. According to a report in that other thread, letting Scene Optimizer turn the 8k textures into 4k allows it to load even onto a card with only 4GB VRAM.

I was hoping to build my scene on the older PC but I guess it has to go on the same one I use for rendering since I cant' even make a test render to check the Iray lighting on the older one.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,076

pctech4ny said:

Yeah but the asset is from 2017. I found  some comments about this set in the thread for Scene Optimizer; it is just chock full of 8k textures for stuff like plant pots and such. According to a report in that other thread, letting Scene Optimizer turn the 8k textures into 4k allows it to load even onto a card with only 4GB VRAM.

I was hoping to build my scene on the older PC but I guess it has to go on the same one I use for rendering since I cant' even make a test render to check the Iray lighting on the older one.

That may help, but regardless of the content used Iray needs more memory now - especially on non-RTX cards

• kprkpr Posts: 53
    edited March 22

pctech4ny said:... for Scene Optimizer; it is just chock full of 8k textures for stuff like plant pots and such. According to a report in that other thread, letting Scene Optimizer turn the 8k textures into 4k allows it to load even onto a card with only 4GB VRAM.

yes

You can go lower than 4k

(Save default texture maps 1st).

Run SceneOpt, sort objects by Nearest to the Camera

(in the screenshot below all of the clothing has been optimised /2... and/or see the scene-opt prod page: https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer)

Anything further back than the figures can be /4

Any close small objects can be /4 and even greater, cos you won't see the diff in textures.

Anything "far background" can be /8 or even more

There is trial and error involved, so you do spend an hour sometimes tweaking everything - but IME you can easily get the stated "render-savings" and more.

Here's a link to one I did... 5 figures, buildings, spaceship, water reflections, rain, fog, weird lighting - the nearest 2 figures and nearest building are /2 ... everything else is more (l was after the "comic-book look", but even so): https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/5444756578500608#gallery=newest&page=1&image=1321641

Post edited by kpr on