Sudden and unexplained slowdown with Iray

Good afternoon,

Before I begin, here are the particulars of my rig:

DAZ3D 4.8

CPU = 3.7ghz AMD A10 APU

GPUs = 1x GTX 960 1x GTX 660

RAM = 16gb.

me problem is this, just recently, my renders have started to slow to an absolute crawl. normal I render a complex enough image inside of 1hour. however, just latley the iterations of the render are only appearing one at a time, and very very slowly. renders are now taking 10+ hours.

I have tried many things, reinstalling DAZ and all of my drivers, I've tried the undo cache removal, I've even tinkered with every NVIDIA perfomace centre setting I can see. All to no avail.

Please, I really need some help with this as It is very irritating.

Regards,

Jack

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Have drivers updated for IRAY, sometimes the game only ones seem to lack cuda support; have you made sure that Iray cards are still selected and not cpu; check the logs, under help menu to access. If the scene is large enough it will default to cpu, so worth having checked for that reason, but I prefer to change it, knowing that the scene is too big.

See what GPU-z says - make sure it is still seeing your cards, and that CUDA is hightlighted (tick in check box), at least for the one used for display purposes. I presume the more powerful card is for rendering? If not then it will be doning other things.

• nicstt thank you for your reply, I have a few questions back if that is okay.

how do i go about updating the drivers for iray ?

where do i locate GPU-z ?

other than that i'll try what you've said now, many thanks for your kind asistance.

Jack

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

TechPowerUp GPU-z is the full product; it is usually first on the list when searching. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

You get them from NVidia; don't be tempted to get them anywhere else, there can be bugs or worse in them. If you have NVidia software installed, the NVidia Geforce Experience can get you the latest, just sometimes they don't have Cuda drivers. Version 350.12 drivers do for sure, as I'm using them. I accidentally installed the latest and had to roll back to these as they didn't have Cuda drivers. There website offers other versions you just have to look on the pages about drivers.

I use the 640 for display purposes, and it struggles at times; notice that GPU-z has a tick to show it has Cuda, it won't necessarily show Cuda for additional cards. If, with the display card selected, it shows Cuda, you know the drivers are OK.

gpu-z.jpg
    400 x 492 - 180K
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2015

How much memory is on each GPU?

If your scene has become more complex, it may have become too large for the GPU.
    When that happens, GPUs that are too small are dropped and you're left with only the CPU!

Post edited by prixat on
  • Freinds,

I've sort fixed the issue now, thanks for the recommend to check my log file, as this revealed I was indeed defaulting to CPU only. However, after toying with a few settings I am able to render at full speed but only for three or four renders before I default back to CPU, then I have to restart my machine before I can get full speed renders again.

At a guess I would say this is due to my GPU memory filling up, so my next question would be, how do I go about clearing down this memory so I can continue without having to restart my machine all the time ?

Kind regards,

Jack

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

Hi Jack

Will just restarting Studio do it, or does it have to be a full restart?

• prixat,

It has to be a full PC restart. I even tried starting up a PC game and closing it again to see if that did anything. It did'nt unfortunately.

Jack