Saving a new character

Dunno if it's just me:- I make a new character using Daz 4.8 in windows 10 and using headshop, I save said character, save as character preset and also support asset figure/prop. all is hunky dorey until I make another new character, save it the same but with a diff name and it overwrites the other one. How can I create a figure/character that cannot be over written? A stand alone character? I have tried saving to a new folder, changing character name, vendor name. I have basically tried all I know.

I thought I would give Daz a go after a clean install of windows 10. I am a long time Poser user and after this week, that's exactly where I'll be heading back to, it's a shame becuse I have found it so much easier and more use friendly than Poser! (never thought I would say that.) Please help.

Comments

• If this is a new figure, newly rigged, don't use the same names. If you are creating morphs for an existing characters save a morph asset.

• I am using G2F. then go into headshop, change the face, body etc and save as a new character, tried to save as a support/morph, support/figure/prop, saved as character preset also the problem is that next time I use headshop/faceshop to create a 2nd new character it overwrites the first one, no matter where I save it, or how I save it. Is this a windows 10 problem? I doubt it, as somebody that has a degree in C++ this makes no sense lol. I no understand!!! 

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2015

That sounds like a headshop specific issue. I save Morph assets and figures all the time with no issues.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • I have tried everything now I did a quick redo saved in and as all the above, the first quick render is how I left it, close Daz, Open Daz load model again, only to find a bad copy of Rose Byrne with a lip malfunction, 

Lisa1.1.jpg
    655 x 851 - 294K
    Lisa1.12.jpg
    655 x 851 - 294K
  • Can you go through the steps you follow to get to that point? Ignoring the actual set up and shape cration in Headshop.

• Sorry about the delay. So here it is.... I start Daz, open a brand new Genesis 2. or 3. go into headshop and change the character, headshop finishes and I then save my new character, I have tried three ways of doing this.

(1) File > Save As > Charachter Preset

(2) File > Save As > Support Asset > Figure/Prop Assests

(3) File > Save As > Support Asset > Morph Assests

Once saved I mess around, knowing I have a new character saved. Then the next time I open Daz to load my new figure, it's all gone belly up, or, if it has not gone belly up at this point I cannot create another new figure, becuase no matter what I call it (and there have been a few choice names), it overwrites the first one, well blends the two together.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, if Daz is doing something wrong or windows 10 is doing something wrong. It's a real shame because I am loving Daz at the moment, I just can't create more then one figure, and if I try, I end up with two misfits.

edited August 2015

When you send to headshop are there any morphs dialed into the figure already?

What settings are you using when you send the morph back to Daz Studio? I don't use headshop, but when you import morphs settings are very important, I would assume the same for headshop.

When you import the morph into Daz does it look good initially, before you save it as a morph asset? I think the answer is yes which means you are saving the morph wrong most likely.

Part of the problem I see in the picture may be a UV issue. sometimes DS gets confused about which UV you need to use, did you check to see if this changed by accident.

• No I didn't check UV, I wil do that, as for sending to Headshop, I just send G2F straight out the box, I change nothing, when it comes back, it looks great. It's when I then try to do a second new character, it overwrites the first, no matter where I save it to, or when I open Daz again the model has gone sour.

edited August 2015

I see you say you are naming them different, but where are you naming them? When the morph is loaded in DS?

I hve lots of custom morphs/characters. No issues. My guess is you aren't renaming the right thing.

When you send from Headshop to daz, it triggers the Morph Loader Dialog box right?

• No, I thought that too, I rename them, change vendor name, figure name etc but stiil no joy. I will keep trying, I have been watching Daz (While using Poser) since 2012 and now it just feels right, less clunky, so I do want to keep trying.

edited August 2015

do you have this problem with programs other than headshop?

also do you know where your morphs are saved in the data folder? are you sure it's saving them to different files?

Also when you save the morph asset, are you only checking the morph you created?

• It's just headshop. So to ask the obvious then. How do you save a character? A character that is as stand alone as Genesis or Victoria say?

You would save as a new figure. so intead of morph asset, figure asset.

• At this point I would just like to say sorry, sorry to me, sorry to you and sorry to headshop. When creating a figure in headshop, contrary to what the tutorial vid shows, always change the name in the material field, even though it say's not to worry about it, If you do not, you will, like me, keep creating figures that all have the same material name and end up with, like me, a patchwork quilt of shite. I cannot believe that I didn't see it before, my tail is well and truely between my legs and I hang my head in shame. I fart in my general direction!!! 

at least you figured it out :)