Which CMS to back up?

With all the new features of Daz Studio, where on my C:\ drive would I typically find the "content" database file and Content Managment Service?  I want to back up the newest cms & "content" files to an external drive and am running Windows 10 64-bit and Daz Studio 4.8.0.55 Pro Edition. I have found one version of the cms at C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service, however, the "modified" date of all those files are 2011, 2013 and 2014.  I would expect the newest pro edition's files to have a 2015 "modified" date??

I also have a PostgreSQL CMS directory under C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\ - would I need to back up both?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

If you're using PostgreSQL CMS you don't need the older Content Management Service.  However, in terms of backups it's better to Export User Data, then the information will be in your Runtime/Support folder in a plain-text XML file, which is much more reliable as a backup method (and also casn handle changes in content folder location).

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363

I tried that earlier today (Export User Data) and then checked the UserData_1.dsx file but the "modified" date was 2/5/2013.  I thought the date should have been today's date so that didn't seem correct to me.  I also looked inside the file but didn't really know what I was looking for.  How can I tell which cms I am using?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

For the UserData_1.dsx file, you might want to run a search on your entire PC in case there is more than one and you are accidentally looking in the wrong location.  Also, although I don't know if it applies for this file, at least in certain circumstances creation of one of the other backup files (for your content paths, if you don't want to re-enter those) required exiting DAZ Studio to force the buffer to be flushed to the file.  If you still had DAZ Studio running, you could try that and see if that forces the file to be created. 

Also, personally I delete this file immediately prior to regenerating it so that if I miss a step or something goes wrong, the file won't be there to move to a backup location and I'll know it didn't work, rather than accidentally using a leftover old file and thinking I got it.

If you are using the PostgreSQL CMS (and it is running), you should have options "start CMS" and "stop CMS" in the Content Library pane's menu, also you should have a bunch of postgres.exe processes in the Windows Task Manager .

edited August 2015

I ran a search on my entire PC and only found one UserData_1.dsx file.  I also discovered that it was the file created date that was shown in my File Manager rather than the date modified

To test the UserData_1, I was sure I was exited out of Daz, deleted  the file in File Manager, purchased & installed a new product, categorized it, Exported User Data, but when I looked for the UserData_1 in the Runtime\Support directory, it was nowwhere to be found.  I did another search of my C:\ drive, and the file is still nowwhere to be found.

I checked the Task Manager and a whole bunch of PostgreSQL CMS processes are indeed running when I open Daz Studio.  So my question is:  is the UserData_1.dsx file only created if you are running the old cms?  Or should there be a new UserData_1 created when I delete the old one and do Export User Data with the PostgreSQL CMS?

Post edited by Mari-Anne on

A new one should be created every time you export user data; it seems something isn't working right for you.  Did you get the dialog that shows the progress bar for Writing User Data?  Are there any errors in the DAZ Studio log file after that finishes?  After mine finishes, I see a message added to the log file like "Writing User Data file:" followed by the full path and filename.

You can see your content in the Content Library's Categories, right?  (just to make sure it didn't somehow get lost since you last used it, and thus DS has nothing to export.  That's probably not it, but worth checking.)

Hi, sriesch and thanks for trying to help me.  No, I don't get the dialog that shows the progress bar for Writing User Data.  I thought that was strange. But I do have all my categories so I didn't lose anything there.

The log file shows that I am running Windows 8 instead of 10.  Wonder if upgrading to Win 10 somehow created this? The log file also shows:

Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit

and the log file ends with this:

Executing startup script...
    DEBUG: Updating the ACSEL database with adjustments for the bumpMapStrength value
    Started in: C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4
    DAZ Studio Started
    Creating Pixel Buffer
    Pixel buffer - Width: 1024 Height: 1024
    Compiling OpenGL Shader...
    Fragment Shader:
    Fragment Shader compiled successfully.
    Linking Shader:
    Shader Program successfully linked.

Loading Startup Scene : E:/Mari-Anne/DasStudio 4.5/Scenes/myDefaultScene.duf
    *** Scene Cleared ***
    File loaded in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    Loaded file: myDefaultScene.duf

so it appears the log file makes no reference to the Export User Data command.

I'm out of ideas as to why it wouldn't even start.  If nobody else offers any suggestions later, you could try reporting it.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,069

One question. Have you created any new categories or done any content association in smart content yourself? Export User Data only saves changes you have made. The concept DAZ is using for the database is that you can reset (clear) it at any time and rum Import Metadata to reload everything from DAZ; if you have made changes, these would be saved in the UserData_1.dsx file which is always written to the first DAZ Studio format directory in your defined list of content directories.

Second question - is the first studio-format directory writeable by the user id you run Studio with?

edited August 2015

Hiya namffuak -  I think you just hit the nail on the head. For some reason, my Reality directory was the first one listed in my defined list of content directories.  I just moved my My DAZ 3D Library to the top, and now I get a progress bar when Exporting User Data.  I think I am OK now.  Yep, there is a UserData_1.dsx filed dated todays date in my File Manager.  Hurray and thanks so much!!

Post edited by Mari-Anne on