HDRs

Daniel BarnettDaniel Barnett Posts: 389

I have a folder of HDRs but they don't show in my content directory. i see the folders but no file. I have a feeling that they are loaded so other way!?! any pointers?

dbb

edit: nothing in user guide!!

Post edited by Daniel Barnett on

Comments

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited August 2015

I dunno if this will help you but when I use Third party HDRi's I use the render editor to add them to the scene under the eviroments option

see picture below.

Capture3.JPG
    1882 x 1109 - 264K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • Ivy said:

I dunno if this will help you but when I use Third party HDRi's I use the render editor to add them to the scene under the eviroments option

see picture below.

Thank you - I thought it might be done in this way but I wasn't sure what menu to select & plug it into!

dbb

Thank you - I thought it might be done in this way but I wasn't sure what menu to select & plug it into!

dbb

You may need to play around with the dome rotation to get the light at the right angle and adding a IDL back light really helps in creating realism too :)

Good luck Like to see what you have when your done :)

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    Ivy said:
    adding a IDL back light

You've mentioned this before .. what is an 'IDL' light in Iray? I thought by definition there were were only direct light sources (with the possible exception of a mesh or light with the matte mode applied). Or do you mean a light facing a reflector that then bounces back into the scene? Or is there another way to do it?

edited August 2015
    Tobor said:
    Ivy said:
    adding a IDL back light

You've mentioned this before .. what is an 'IDL' light in Iray? I thought by definition there were were only direct light sources (with the possible exception of a mesh or light with the matte mode applied). Or do you mean a light facing a reflector that then bounces back into the scene? Or is there another way to do it?

I guess I can see the confusion.now.lol  thats because I keep mixing up my terms what I mean is IBL (Image Based Lighting)  the mix up comes from I use IDL in poser  which is means Indrect lighting that is why I keep calling it IDL instead if IBL because thats where i am formilur  term using. which IBL would be the proper term so thanks for correcting me  once you load the HDRI scene in daz,  you point the HDRi light source behind the subject and then add a sun dial present with the hdri, & set it to give you the back light  yuo will need to make ajustments to darken or make it more light  , at least that is how I have been doing them. and they work really nice that way

Post edited by Ivy on

Ah, now I get it!  Know that setting in Poser well - the long hours of watching the screwy points of red dots as it calculated the lighting. I don't miss that at all!

What HDR image sets do you use that have a sun dial control? That sounds pretty nifty. I'm always turning on the Draw dome feature, and looking at the Iray image render in the Viewport to set the sun direction. Is the sundial control something found in some of the HDRi sets sold in the store?

edited August 2015

I like to use what ever I can find there is a good list of frebbies HDRi here at daz. and sometime I find some stock panorama images and make them using photoshop. that is what I did with those Disney copy render i did recently

when you load your scene have the HDR scene light inmage behind the subject your using.   this will place the HDR light also bhind the subject. turn the head lamp off on the camera and go to render presets and click preset Sun Dial  and when you click it you can set the direction of the light bounce of the HDRi  to give that Caustic look to the subject using the defualt "Back HDRi light"  . Give me a  a little bit and I'll do a quick render of it with the sun behind a girl with and without using that setting.

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited August 2015

Okay Please keep in mind I did this very quick and I used the basice settings .. and my graphic cards was rendering these fast i was barely able to get a captuer

1 picture set you HDRi Map

2 picture: rotate  your Map to put the light behind the subject, shut off Default Head lamp on your camera your using also

3 Picture. rendering with just basic setting no sundial

4 picture withn out the sun dial just default HDR light and settings

1 set hdrI map.JPG
    860 x 845 - 82K
    2 no sun dial.JPG
    1039 x 1097 - 121K
    2a no sun dial.JPG
    1733 x 1073 - 166K
    2a no sun dial .jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 587K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    edited August 2015

Picture 1 -  Add a sundial under the Iray render presets

Picture 2 Adjust Sundial to the location you want for light bounce, in this case i want it behind also the subject

Picture 3 This rendering with sun dial in use with same setting I used without sun dial

3 render presets.JPG
    1334 x 910 - 85K
    4 sun dial chain.JPG
    1900 x 972 - 150K
    5 render sun dial.JPG
    1840 x 1098 - 161K
    Post edited by Ivy on
    edited August 2015

Final Render using the Back light  it give it a more caustic looks  it was hard to capture this live my card was rendering these so fast

you can clearly see how that back sun dial with the HDRi IBL light set in the back gives a diffrent look  Keep in Mind this was rendered with just my Graphic card GPU.  well anyways thats how I've been doing my renders right or wrong I hope that helps :)

5 sundail render .jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 576K
    Post edited by Ivy on

That's very clever! I had assumed the sundial helper was just for Iray's Sun-Sky Only mode. But it looks like setting it even with the Dome (which doesn't use the sun) affects the color temperature and brightness of the environment. Useful in not having to set those things manually.

I thought maybe you were using some HDRi sets that included a "sundial" helper for visualizing and setting the sun direction, rather than relying on Draw mode and watching the Iray render paint in the Viewport. Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea. Would take a lot of the guesswork out of using some of these HDR images...

edited August 2015

I never knew what that sundial was even for before chris told me..lol  That painting idea would be like the old skydomes y'll have to work that one out for sure now..lol

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Ivy - thank you for thr info!!! I'll be trying this again this weekend. I really screwed things up - all I'm getting is a black box when I render so I'll need sometime to step thing backwards to see what I did!!

Thank you!
    dbb