Very High Ram Usage

Hi, I have rtx 3060 with 12 gb vram, and 32 gb ram. When I try to render the scene the daz crushes, becuse it is out of ram(not vram). For example I render a scene and mu ram usage is 8gb, but I use all of my 32 gb of ram and program crashes. The problem also doesn't lie in the other aplications running, because I turn off most of my aplications, and my ram usage before I hit render is only 6 gb. Is it possible that daz uses only 8 gb of vram, but more than 24 gb of ram? I have ryzen 1600 cpu, but I don't think it's important in this situation.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,517

Simple answer, Yes.

• The scene data Daz Studio works with has all sorts of tings Iray dosn't need - morphs and joints and so on. Iray needs final resolution geometry (usually, for SubD figues like Genesis, the Viewport has a lower resolution) and textures (usually the Viewport works with reduced resolution maps). So everything needs to be processed to get from the working scene data to the data that is to be sent to Iray, and that potentially consumes a lot of memory.

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

A figure often touted is 3x your vram as ram, minimum. In your case that's 36gb. That amount is not an achievable amount but I'd err on the side of caution anyway and go 4x minimum, which is 48gb minimum. This allows a bit extra for OS and any other programs you have open (background stuff, browser, music etc). I've 64gb and I've seen Daz use up to 72% (46gb) when processing a scene that just fits in the 12gb of a 3060.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,522

One important thing is that when rendering, DS will grab about the same amount of RAM as it will use VRAM while creating the render data it passes to Iray.  

• globallyglobally Posts: 119
    edited January 2023

After having a similar issue I had a search and found this thread but the resolve of allocating more vram didn't help. May still be conencted so I will post here.

I am trying to render a scene that I have rendered 5-6 times with no issues and then all of a sudden Iray is filling all memory and falling back to cpu. I am getting this error in the log: "Unable to allocate 463.380mib from 100.322mib of available device memory"

I have a laptop 3060 so I think 6-8gb of ram and I am running nothing but Daz. Like I said the same scene has been rendered before so what could be cas using this memory issue? I did recently update to the latest studio drivers but I'm sure I had rendered after that with no issue, and I tried downgrading to the last driver with no change to the outcome.

any ideas what could be happening here?

cheers

Post edited by globally on

globally said:

After having a similar issue I had a search and found this thread but the resolve of allocating more vram didn't help. May still be conencted so I will post here.

I am trying to render a scene that I have rendered 5-6 times with no issues and then all of a sudden Iray is filling all memory and falling back to cpu. I am getting this error in the log: "Unable to allocate 463.380mib from 100.322mib of available device memory"

I have a laptop 3060 so I think 6-8gb of ram and I am running nothing but Daz. Like I said the same scene has been rendered before so what could be cas using this memory issue? I did recently update to the latest studio drivers but I'm sure I had rendered after that with no issue, and I tried downgrading to the last driver with no change to the outcome.

cheers

This thread was about high consumption of RAM.

Consumption of VRAM is something different, and the only way to increase VRAM is to get another GPU with more VRAM, one cannot just "allocate" more VRAM.

• globallyglobally Posts: 119

PerttiA said:

globally said:

cheers

This thread was about high consumption of RAM.

Consumption of VRAM is something different, and the only way to increase VRAM is to get another GPU with more VRAM, one cannot just "allocate" more VRAM.

sorry for the mistake, I am still very new to windows and graphics ram. I just thought as the og poster was also experiencing high ram usage it may be related. Sorry to be off topic. I shall ask elsewhere.

globally said:

sorry for the mistake, I am still very new to windows and graphics ram. I just thought as the og poster was also experiencing high ram usage it may be related. Sorry to be off topic. I shall ask elsewhere.

No problem, but it's probably better to open a new thread.

RAM = Memory that is physically installed on your motherboard, sometimes called "System RAM" , which is used to run your operating systems and programs.
    VRAM = Memory physically installed on you GPU (Graphics adapter), which is used for example in rendering Iray scenes.

• Hey guys, I opened a thread similar of iroscox user yesterday and unfortunately I'm having the same problem as him/her. My hardware is similar, as I have 32GB of DDR4 ECC RAM with a Xeon E5-2670 v3 (12C/24) processor and an RTX 3060 12GB VRAM, and last Sunday when I tried to render a scene with more than 15 characters G9M, G9F, G8M and G8F, my Daz simply crashes and RAM usage is extremely high, around 95%. I tried using Scene Optimizer but without success. I was on version 4.21 of Daz and ended up updating to version 4.22, but the crashes still persist and rendering becomes impossible. Is my PC too weak for this? Will I need to upgrade the RAM? I always thought 32GB was enough, I don't understand the problem with that!

luan.yang said:

Hey guys, I opened a thread similar of iroscox user yesterday and unfortunately I'm having the same problem as him/her. My hardware is similar, as I have 32GB of DDR4 ECC RAM with a Xeon E5-2670 v3 (12C/24) processor and an RTX 3060 12GB VRAM, and last Sunday when I tried to render a scene with more than 15 characters G9M, G9F, G8M and G8F, my Daz simply crashes and RAM usage is extremely high, around 95%. I tried using Scene Optimizer but without success. I was on version 4.21 of Daz and ended up updating to version 4.22, but the crashes still persist and rendering becomes impossible. Is my PC too weak for this? Will I need to upgrade the RAM? I always thought 32GB was enough, I don't understand the problem with that!

32GB is about the minimum for the latest versions of DS when using relatively recent assets.

More than 15 characters and crashing... Smells like running out of virtual memory (on your drive) too.

• pctech4nypctech4ny Posts: 181

I use a RTX 3060 12GB card and just increased my RAM to 64GB from 32GB, then re-rerendered a scene with about a dozen G8 figures in it (Scene Optimizer was applied to several in the background). I now have GPU-Z so I can see how much VRAM and system RAM is being used, and the scene was using only about 7GB VRAM above the baseline for the OS and Daz program, but the system RAM usage was over 35GB, so I had been hitting a RAM bottleneck before without realizing it.

I am still using Daz Studio 4.16, and I imagine the newer versions consume more VRAM overhead than what I end up with. (Also I was using only 2/3 the VRAM capacity of my GPU, so imagine if I had really overstuffed the scene.)