CMS failing... oddly...

So, I did nothing special, just played with a few existing models, closed DAZ, and later opened it...

Now "Smart content" only shows 322 files, but "Files", shows 2185 (Essentially, at-least 1/4 of what is actually there. Not the 322, the 2185 is a fraction of what I have.)

Reset, rebuilt, searched for files in known directories, rebuilt metadata DB, and Checked the pending que...

Nothing changed.

The "odd part", is that this stuff is not even all "smart content". I see a few things that I KNOW I had, but they never showed in the smart-content ever, when searching. (I always had to load them manually, after digging through the folder-tree.)

The only odd thing I did, when the program was last open, was "Mark all items as seen", because I was finding it annoying that everything it blue that you have not used, instead of highlighting things you USE. (New stuff should just be duplicated in a NEW area. But that is another topic for another day.)

So, how do I get it back... Nothing changes, ever... Except I have the few items disappear when I refresh. Until it comes-back with the super-reduced "content". (I can still access the items directly, from the tree-view, just not smart-content.)

Adding... No, there is no actual "user metadata", Well, none that I added. Some may have come with other installs, if that is what it considers "user data", which is actually just, "Not Daz Data", not actual "User" (Me) data... The user...

Also, Yes, the CMS is running. (I restarted it after closing it, prior to attempting to update it, and after updating.)

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Are you using PostgreSQL CMS or Valentina CMS?

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758

Are you using PostgreSQL CMS or Valentina CMS?

Whatever 4.8 has...

Do you install with DIM?

edited August 2015

Do you install with DIM?

The "Daz stuff" or the database?

Yes, many things were Daz items, installed with the manager tool... Genesis, Genesis 2, Genesis 3, every free thing for the past year... etc...

Some stuff has no installers, as the majority of things I use are my own creations or "Freebies" from other websites. (Many have installs, but some do not. They are usually just one file that has to be dropped somewhere, or they are shaders/materials/textures, etc...

The things showing-up are things like... "Genesis 3 essentials" but no actual genesis model. Same with 2, and other various things. I see many things on that same "smart content" page, in the "Items" tab. 2000+ items, what was normally ALSO in the "Products" area. Which only shows the 300+ items total. (When I click the "Items" tab, any sub-component, it always says "Searching" and displays the number of files found. When I am on the "Products" tab, on that same window, it does nothing but show the 300+ files.

I did a reset again, and also did "remove ...." for the removal of files/links, whatever...

Still no change. (Tested clicking on an actual model, and in open-space... It does show stuff for Gen3, when I click her, what few things are in the 300+ list of items.)

Post edited by JD_Mortal on

Did you install PostgreSQL CMS?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Time to check that everything is mapped correctly in Studio.

Studio and the DIM have different default install locations...by design..and if they are both not mapped, you can have this kind of problem.  Also nested content folders can cause/contribute to it.  It gets to the first part of the 'nest' and doesn't look any deeper.

edited August 2015

Did you install PostgreSQL CMS?

I did not manually install any CMS, just whatever DAZ installs when it installs with the install manager. It is automated and installed like 250 things at once..

Everything sort-of worked up until 4.8... 4.6 did this too, but it always recovered.

No, nothing is installed in the "defaults". Windows displays it as "public/public documents/my daz stuff", but in reality the path is "public/documents/my daz stuff", it botched many installers, trying to find a path that is not real. Apparently it is a virtual-path. "Hard link" pointer to another actual location. Works for 99% of the stuff, but botches-up things when people name files with the same name and installers try to install to "contents/runtime/..." or "contents/my daz stuff/runtime/runtime"... even better, when they try to install to "C:/", even when you specify a path, but the path fails due to ancient installers intended for win98/2k/xp/vista/win7...

Pure headaches. I rip out the files now, or install to a dump-folder, to baby-sit the files and then manually place them where they should be, which is a task and a half, since there is no actual install standards, anywhere and everything is all over the place, for no actual reason. Daz has a nice archive of where each file should be, and the files themselves tell you, when they are not full of errors or poor-saved paths, or hard-paths, or accidental double-quotes that makes the paths "" (null).

Thousands of files... Thousands of duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates... For even less of a good reason. 100% duplicates, down to the last CRC32/Sha256/MD5, and bit-matching. (Writing a dupe-killer that just replaces dupes with virtual-links. Essentially shortcuts to every actual "true unique" image in the entire folder. The shortcuts occupy no space, but maintain the horrible file structure that the hard-coded links in the files need... Another stupidity to do... Never hard-code absolute links in saved files that install and don't adapt to the installed locations. Which is 90% of DAZ content.)

Sounds like a corrupt Valentina database.  Close DS, install PostgreSQL CMS, then re-import metadata and it should be stable.

edited August 2015

Where exactly do I get that?

Shouldn't that have come with Daz 4.6?

It did... This is from my log-file

"Creating Asset Manager...
    Connected to CMS: PostgreSQL 9.3.4, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit
    Creating Authentication Manager...
    *** Scene Cleared ***"

Where is the database, I'll just delete it manually. Obviously it isn't "deleting", when we "clear it"... Everything is still there... Randomly sometimes.

Found the DB files, not suer which are safe to manually delete.

Logs there indicate on error over and over. (Success between errors, but this error is the only repeating one...)

(LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
    FATAL:  role "MyWindowsUserID" does not exist)

Edit > Preferences > CMS Settings has the location of the database (Cluster Directory)

Resolved... Thank-you... It got sorted-out, sort-of, on its own.

All the groups came back. (The groups were apparently what was missing, not the items.)

The last thing I did, database-wise, was "mark all content as seen"... or not new... or whatever that setting was. I'll blame it on that rarely used setting and just avoid it from now-on.

I suspect that Daz has an issue with refreshing windows. This happens a LOT in the tree-view browser. Going into folders lists no items, but if you move your mouse over the area where the icons normally appear below, they all instantly load-up. Until then, it looks as if the folder is empty.