the 980 & 980ti snob thread, Titan users tollerated

Comments

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 552

Yes, it's all in fun and jest

i was just taking the mickey out of all those gaming forums and YouTube users boasting about their rigs actually as someone with just an Intel chip could create excellent art, just might take a tad longer and a person with 4 Xenons and a bookcase of cards on a rack might produce utter crap is all in the skill of the user.

also I know zilch about hardware, the guy at the shop talked me into it instead of a Titan X for value for money.

Which was a smart move. The Ti has always been a nice alternative to the Titan line of cards for the people, not like me, who don't want to spend $1000+ on GPUs.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,953

Sadly for me in Australia it was, our dollar is crap

• I've a 970. How much of a performance upgrade is a single 980 or a Titan?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,155

I hate you all!  crying  cheeky  devil

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    RAMWolff said:

+1

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

2 X 980Ti read them and weep Wendy read them and weep !!!devil

no wonder there are cascading power outtages in the neighbourhood.

how much wattage does those suckup?   lol

Dear Santa, I want 2 titans and a 3d printer.  angel

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,709
    jag11 said:
    RAMWolff said:

+1

Yeah - what he said  

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Ivy said:

yes I had Ibuypower.com build it for me for gaming mosnter its 3d vision  i7 Ivy brdige Intel processor    I ordered it with a samsung scarlet 3d  32" in monitor. that came with gogles,   Running SLI is how it came set up,  I can tell you  this is best rendering machine I ever own., even though I have tons of games i hardly use them anymore since i've been rendering with daz . that is why I refuse to upgrade to windows 10 because this machine was built with & for  windows7 pro and everything i have for programing on it I know run optimal where windows10  not so much.

It should be faster still if you remove the SLI component. NVidia recommend not to have when used for rendering. I would also keep your eye out, incase Direct X 12 (Windows 10 only) actually makes better use of the two cards working together and the shared memory; actually that will happen, but it may or may not be applicable to rendering though.

Visuimag said:

Yes, it's all in fun and jest

i was just taking the mickey out of all those gaming forums and YouTube users boasting about their rigs actually as someone with just an Intel chip could create excellent art, just might take a tad longer and a person with 4 Xenons and a bookcase of cards on a rack might produce utter crap is all in the skill of the user.

also I know zilch about hardware, the guy at the shop talked me into it instead of a Titan X for value for money.

Which was a smart move. The Ti has always been a nice alternative to the Titan line of cards for the people, not like me, who don't want to spend $1000+ on GPUs.

Wll, performance - depending if it is overclocked more - then it might slightly out-perform a Titan; memory-wise, if it wouldn't fit on a ti, but would on a Titan then obviously the Titan is massive amounts faster. It is a lot extra to pay though, if running out of the 6GB would be a rare occurance.

• MistyMist said:

2 X 980Ti read them and weep Wendy read them and weep !!!devil

no wonder there are cascading power outtages in the neighbourhood.

how much wattage does those suckup?   lol

I think they put in a 1200 power supply ?

• 8eos88eos8 Posts: 170
    edited August 2015
    nicstt said:

It should be faster still if you remove the SLI component. NVidia recommend not to have when used for rendering. I would also keep your eye out, incase Direct X 12 (Windows 10 only) actually makes better use of the two cards working together and the shared memory; actually that will happen, but it may or may not be applicable to rendering though.

Do you mean you have to physically remove the SLI bridge? Or can you leave it attached and just disable SLI in the Nvidia control panel?

And tomorrow when my new power supply, and case fans that light up in PURPLE get delivered, I'll be posting some pics.... :D

Post edited by 8eos8 on

1200?  My power would be flipping off all the time where I live.. so that's a pipe dream and will remain one.  I'm happy to have the card I have, which was a steel but only after I had to send it in to have it replaced, that was fun... NOT!  I have only 650 Wt power supply and I get on pretty good.  I do notice that 3Delight does lag allot compared to iRay!  I can see why DAZ wants everyone using iRay.  Transmaps on 3Delight are horrid, even with this faster card.... it's hurry up and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait............... indecision  no

1200 jiggawatts?!!

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,087
    edited August 2015
    RAMWolff said:

1200?  My power would be flipping off all the time where I live.. so that's a pipe dream and will remain one.  I'm happy to have the card I have, which was a steel but only after I had to send it in to have it replaced, that was fun... NOT!  I have only 650 Wt power supply and I get on pretty good.  I do notice that 3Delight does lag allot compared to iRay!  I can see why DAZ wants everyone using iRay.  Transmaps on 3Delight are horrid, even with this faster card.... it's hurry up and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait............... indecision  no

It really isn't that bad. I was worried for a while, as I have one 15 amp circuit feeding all outlets in my entry way and both lower bedrooms. The big bedroom is being used as my den. I have a 1000 VA ups and an 1100 VA ups plugged into a two-outlet box; each ups is feeding a couple of multi-outlet strips. I have a Dell 9100 (500W power supply), a Dell 390n (550 W power supply), my render box (1200 W power supply), 2 monitors, an Epson scanner, a laptop, a KVM switch, and two network switches plugged into the multi-outlet strips. In addition I have a Xerox color laser printer plugged into a different outlet on the same electrical circuit.

No blown breaker, and neither ups complains about the load - although my maximum run time on one is 11 minutes and the other only supports 8 minutes if the power goes out. But that's long enough to do an orderly shutdown and report the power outage on the utility website.

I haven't managed to get the ti above 72% total power consumption in any render.  (The lights do fliker when the laser printer drops out of hibernation to warm up and print smiley )

Post edited by namffuak on
  • RAMWolff said:

I totally went on what the computer tech said I had an 800Wt down but said it would barely make it. I watch TV once a week if I'm lucky so power bill is low.

I think doing it leaner and meaner for a while will toughen you up and make you use resources better, till you can get a better rig !

I don't want to be any meaner! lmao cheeky

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2015

OK time to crash da party!

GTX 760 and 660 ti user in da house. I got like 2500 cuda yo! Funk ya'll overrated power hungry boxes. HA!

I got a spare 1200 cudas in storage yo.(that I wish I could figure a way to use, i5 2500k and  2700k. two computers that haven't been used in over 6 months) And monies to spare on the doggies. I don't have hardware pics, but photos of my gangsta doggies!

8eos8 said:
    nicstt said:

Do you mean you have to physically remove the SLI bridge? Or can you leave it attached and just disable SLI in the Nvidia control panel?

I did this cause I never want to accidentally have SLI running. Eva. 

I got like a 500 watt power supply in this box too. No issues! Last one was 750 and only had 1352 cudas and an i5. Got a i7 4770K and two cards with no issues. And I render in the background while playing games in the intell 4600 HD. HA!

Post edited by larsmidnatt on

My computer shares the same outlet as the aircon which I may need to remedy when summer comes, as both will need to run simultaneously, they did last summer when I used Octane but had less power demands, I may get a UPS for the PC to isolate it a bit.

• My workstation has two GTX 980's (not TI).

Hey, how do I attach my signature on-demand?  I don't want it to always appear...

edited August 2015

My computer shares the same outlet as the aircon which I may need to remedy when summer comes, as both will need to run simultaneously, they did last summer when I used Octane but had less power demands, I may get a UPS for the PC to isolate it a bit.

Sometimes that doesn't help any, sadly. You still might have the breaker flip. I had to move one power backup to a different outlet in the room to get around this.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on

in all honesty I probably will not render on days I need the aircon anyway, but am thinking of getting a portable one I can plug in elsewhere too.

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,368

I still love my dual Xeons.... each 10 core, 20 threads..... now... how do I turn it on....... :) 

• genericffusergenericffuser Posts: 10
    edited August 2015
    Visuimag said:

I think you took me too literally. ;)

That said, I wasn't comparing rigs. It's all about how practical things are. I have two rigs, both with multiple purposes, and I can assure you, while I use the M6000s, the Titan Xs are, for most intents and purposes, very comparable cards. I actually use them more because of gaming, which Quadro cards aren't as good at.

You certainly CAN compare workstation and gaming GPUs, either way. There were a few comparsions of the Titan X and M6000 at their launches, in fact.

Nope, it's all good banter :)

As for the rest of your post, how about some benchmarks from both of your machines?

I don't game BTW and I'm fully aware of what Quadro cards can and can't be used for ;)

Post edited by genericffuser on
  • Ivy said:

yes I had Ibuypower.com build it for me for gaming mosnter its 3d vision  i7 Ivy brdige Intel processor    I ordered it with a samsung scarlet 3d  32" in monitor. that came with gogles,   Running SLI is how it came set up,  I can tell you  this is best rendering machine I ever own., even though I have tons of games i hardly use them anymore since i've been rendering with daz . that is why I refuse to upgrade to windows 10 because this machine was built with & for  windows7 pro and everything i have for programing on it I know run optimal where windows10  not so much.

I believe Iray won't work in SLI.

I do have another machine apart from my workstation with an older i7 3970x CPU and two GTX 780 Ti's and I found it a little slow when rendering using Iray and Daz, yet it's super fast in Max 2015 with Iray!

I lso tried Windows 10 on the i7 machine and found it slow. Like you I'll also keep Windows 7 on it.

• namffuak said:

Might as well add mine to the list.

You'll have to clean that camera lens as I thought "what a dirty machine" until I looked at the larger image :)

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Not sure if they just mean disable it in NVidia's software, or physically remove the bridge.

8eos8 said:
    nicstt said:

And tomorrow when my new power supply, and case fans that light up in PURPLE get delivered, I'll be posting some pics.... :D

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,087
    namffuak said:

Might as well add mine to the list.

You'll have to clean that camera lens as I thought "what a dirty machine" until I looked at the larger image :)

Yeah, I know. Even with the lens cover closed the silly thing is a dirt magnet.sad

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

Could this one be competitive, or is an upgrade in order? I can get it cheap! cheeky

dusty computer

Oh Ewwwwwwwwwww  OMG!

nicstt said:

Not sure if they just mean disable it in NVidia's software, or physically remove the bridge.

8eos8 said:
    nicstt said:

almost positive you can do it via software. I disabled the cable in my rig though cause I'm strange like that and didn't want to accidentally turn it on ;)