Merging surfaces and removing unneeded vertices

2»

Comments

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited May 2023

stitlown said:

The Transfer Utility is actually a very versatile and effective tool that does a very good first-order job of transferring morphs ..... It appears to work on similarilty of vertex position -

Every once in a while, I happily learn something new in 3d.  Did not know transfer utility can do that.

You are "guilty" of just opening a new ge0graft project for me. That's another way of saying Thank you!

Will check out limits of "similarity of vertex position".

Loss of limits wouldn't bother me and i rarely change bones (so no erc).   Do change mesh and adjust rig though.  Sorry for your product. 

Do use alot of controls.  Imagine they are gone too?

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on

follow up:

in less than 10 minutes, added some new verts and exported as obj.  Imported to Daz and used transfer utility with just one bigger morph active.  Changed a few transfer util settings (worked first time and not sure how necessary).   Wow!  New higher vert node has old morph.

Then tried with lots of morphs.  Custom weights for new bones there too. All worked.

And using bridge to Hex for geograft and then OBJ export/import resulted in scale difference as well.  Quick change to 1000 for obj import and all was fine again.

Glad i stopped in here. Thanks again Stitlown.  smiley

• stitlownstitlown Posts: 277

I know everyone is telling me it's not so, but I had cause to do it again today and ...

• Bridge over from DAZ to HEX
    • Export .obj from Hex
    • Import .obj into DAZ at 100% and it's just 1/10th of what it was before.
    • Import .obj into DAZ at 1000% and presto! Same-same

Maybe it's just my system or my settings. In the past I've tinkered with the HEX export settings without any obvious change in behavior. It's not a problem, as such, although wierd. It's just a quirk I have to work around, and the work aound is easy.

Think you misread my post direct above-yours or i wasn't clear enough.

Did have same same scale difference using your workflow.  Had to use 1000%.

Thanks Saxa--SD. Good to know it's not just my set up messing with my mind. And I'm guilty of responding to First Bastion without first reading the subsequent posts in my whinge comment. Ah Well!

Re the ERC etc.,  it's not just when changing the skeleton etc.  I often create what I guess are hybrid poses / morphs where part of the outcome is from unaltered bones translating or rotating or scaling and part is vertex deltas (to fix up stuff that a mere pose cannot achieve) and I save these as "morphs", and Transfer Utility does not pick up the bones part of the transferred morph. But, all up, that Transfer Utility is pretty impressive!

Think the expression is something like, All is well that ends well :)

Got denser geograft done. Morphs all transferred.  Rebuilding erc controls.

Worst part so far was the re-UVing to match.

Sounds likey you were aiming to add verts without re-uv'ing. Did you get that to work?

Saxa -- SD said:  Sounds likey you were aiming to add verts without re-uv'ing. Did you get that to work?

The heart of the issue! Yes, ... in the end.

I started with 1 model with 3 different UV maps (to match existing source textures) and I was tweaking that into 4 models, one with the same vertex count as the original, so no big deal. In the end I did get the other two to work without having to re-UV (the nightmare scenario). The modeling tool I use is AC3D - far less ornery than Hex, but the vertex orders got changed hence the massive  whirlwind I went through. A different workflow might have got me to the end sooner - who knows. Transfer Utility was a savior as I had circa 100 morphs on the model and TU managed close to 95% of shiflting that across (in terms of vertex deltas).

I did have one UV funny where parts of one UV map got garbled on loading, and I never understood what the issue was. It was only about 12-ish vertices affected in 2000, so I edited the UVs in Hex, ported back as a prop, exported from DAZ and reloaded from that.

As you said .... "Alls well that ..." :)

Well sounds awesome that you got what you planned and hoped for.

I got same.  Have fun with your geograft!. Know i sure will. smiley