how to change the pivot on rotation

R1CH1R1CH1 Posts: 80

simple question..  I'm laying out some primitives in DAZ..  I want to rotate the object from the center pivot point rather than the edges.  How do I move the universal widget?  or change its position on the object.

thanks

prim_sample.jpg
1377 x 871 - 97K
Post edited by R1CH1 on

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited September 2015

what you could do is make a null and position the null in the center. then use the null as the parent of the object and manipulate the null.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,416

I believe you can do it in the joint editor. I could be wrong though. I've never tried it but worth mentioning.

edited September 2015
    frank0314 said:

I believe you can do it in the joint editor. I could be wrong though. I've never tried it but worth mentioning.

Redacted. For some reason I thought this would jack up the bones. It doesn't seem to do that. I can't test extensively but this does work and it doesn't seem to have immediate negative impact.

So this is a good option sometimes, but if not the null is a non-destructive way to do it.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,416

I was think for props and not figures. Sorry didn't specify.

edited September 2015
    frank0314 said:

I was think for props and not figures. Sorry didn't specify.

Yeah I can't see a problem just yet for props, figures i would have to test more but intial test seems to say it wouldn't break anything.

He did say primatives, so that should work for him.

• R1CH1R1CH1 Posts: 80

what you could do is make a null and position the null in the center. then use the null as the parent of the object and manipulate the null.

I forgot about the null.  That should work.  thanks

• jtbetheljtbethel Posts: 42
    edited September 2015

Yes! this really bugs me.

In previous Daz versions, probably before 4.6, if you saved a prop (obj) in 3D Max or Rhino wherever the 0,0,0, was would be the pivot point when imported to Daz.

Then for no apparent reason the pivot point became the bottom middle of the bounding box. It worked so well before.

All other 3D software progs, when you create a sphere, the pivot point is in the center of the sphere. Be hell if our World pivoted on the bottom!!

Both above methods work either using the Joint Editor move the yellow (on my setup) dot to the pivot point, sometimes the prop will move when you do this, that doesn't matter, just get the yellow dot to the pivot point.

This is usually best done using Front View, a Side View, or Top View rather than Perspective or Camera View

The problem with this method is that when you import the same prop again, you'll have to redo the Joint Editor, if you need more props of the same OBJ use the Edit - Duplicate.

Parenting to a Null works well, but remember when you want to pivot your prop, you need to pivot the null. (I think, unless I'm missing something)

I just wish Daz would bring the old method back angry

Post edited by jtbethel on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    frank0314 said:

yes that is correct. Engage the Joint Editor and manually move the Red and Green markers to the centre of the object.

edited September 2015
    jtbethel said:

The problem with this method is that when you import the same prop again, you'll have to redo the Joint Editor, if you need more props of the same OBJ use the Edit - Duplicate.

OMG we finally have a duplicate option! I never knew. OMG that is so awesome, learn somethign new every day!