iRay - weird problem...

Hi,

I'm a newbie to iRay having just converted over from 3Delight and had an issue that was driving me mad using a point light

I've noticed that when I was rendering a scene that the eyes, eyelashes and hair on the model were not rendering properly.   The thing that is unique with the scene is that the set is large and the rendering location is at around 1500 on both the X & Z positions.

The scene has a point light set up to angle light onto a figure as shown in the attachment.    If I render at a location like X & Z at 500 it renders properly...  When at X & Z at 1500 I get weird stuff happening to the lashes and hair.

The solution was to move the room to as close as possible to the centre of the grid / floor.

Not sure if there is a way to increase the size of the floor / grid to compensate, but I have a workaround.

Interested to see if there is a more permanent fix or I'm going to have to stay within the grid when using iRay!

Cheers,

NB

render_01.png
1000 x 750 - 97K
render_02.png
1000 x 750 - 578K
render_03.png
1000 x 750 - 577K

Comments

• I've had similar issues. It seems to effect only a few of the materials - anything with fine texture and that includes hair as well. 

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,822
    edited September 2015

Check the eyelashes shader in the Surfaces tab to make sure that their shader is Iray Uber and not omUbersurface. For some reason, the Daz presets don't always handle the eyelashes properly, and since some vendors understandably use the Daz preset as for a base for their shaders, that gets repeated. Most times, Iray can handle the autoconversion without issue, but sometimes it goes wonky.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • Also, make sure you're using the proper Iray Optimized MAT (if your figure is Genesis2). This assigns the proper material types to non-skin things like finger/toe nails, eyes, lips etc. The basic Iray Uber Base MAT just converts everything into the same basic Iray material type.

• Have you tried rendering larger, like at 2500+ pixels? I had some fine lace in an image I was working on, and at smaller sizes it just didn't come out right. I had to crank up the width to get the clean results I wanted. Since the image was destined for print, this large size was not a problem (although it did -- of course -- slow down my render time).

• Thanks all for responding.  I tried the above and had no luck.  I actually created the same test scene with Genesis 3, ensured the shader on surfaces is set to iRay Uber.  I'm going to try this my laptop which has a fresh install of Daz 4.8 and see if it does it also.

I may upload a test scene and get somebody try it and see if they have the same issue...

It's not a big issue as long as I keep my render within the defined grid / floor within the scene.  It's just annoying...