Figure/Prop from OBJ File...do I still need the OBJ after making a Figure?

I made a OBJ in Hex, and then grouped/rigged in DS, and saved as a Figure/Prop Assets...

My question is this:  The OBJ that I used was sitting on my desktop when I did this.  This is something that I am going to sell, probably.  There are multiple refences in the generated figure DUF to a DSF in the Data directory.  Is there going to be references from the DSF to the OBJ on my desktop?  If so, how can I change those so that they point to where I want the OBJ to be (and will put it), in the Runtime/Geometries area?

...or does the DSF contain everything, and I would need to include that (not the OBJ) in a product?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Once the item is in Studio native format, all the geometry information is in the dsf file in the data folder.  The only use for the obj file, now, is if you want to include it for use by those who use other programs, like Bryce and Carrara.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

OK, good to know!  I am not sure it would work in Poser and others, since I rigged, weight-mapped and grouped in DS?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Bryce and Carrara also use OBJs

• sometimes it's nice to keep the obj around for safe keeping, but it's not immediately needed once you have a working daz file.

I dont think what I made would be interested to Bryce folk....more character realted.  Carrara and Poser, sure, but then again, I don't know if either can use something rigged and wm'd in Daz, and how I would make it workable for them.

• 3dOutlaw said:
    If so, how can I change those so that they point to where I want the OBJ to be (and will put it), in the Runtime/Geometries area?

Too late, the only way to make sure the D|S-format Asset is set up properly is to have the .obj file in a folder in the /Runtime/Geometries/ folder in the first place, and import it into D|S from there.

It's actually more of a belt-and-braces precaution than anything else, but the reason for keeping the Poser-compatible files around is that if the /data/ files get lost or corrupted, D|S will automagically recreate them from the original file. Of course, D|S must first know where the file is; if it's already in /Runtime/Geometries/ then everything will Just Work™ when installed properly into any content location in any D|S installation on any computer anywhere. If it isn't, then the recovery process will work perfectly only on your computer, because it's the only computer in the world with the exact file and folder structure set out in the Asset files.

That's what I thought, but after further analysis, neither the DUF nor the DSF it references has any link or reference to the OBJ file.  So, it does not appear that it would ever be able to "automagically recreate them from the original file" if the data directory is corrupted.

• Hmm, odd. I know it's supposed to work that way with actual Poser-format figures and props, but I was sure we'd been told (probably in the old forums) that the same thing also worked for imported .obj meshes. They're part of the Poser object format, after all.