Anyone else using AI generated faces for FaceGen/Face Transfer/Headshop?

The question of the day is: What site do you source your images from?

I have used Artbreeder since - well, since before I was even using Daz. My whole original purpose in learning to use Daz was to use FaceGen to create characters from Artbreeder portraits. I have nearly three years of files - entire groups of related characters - at Artbreeder that as of sometime in the last week and a half got dumped, presumably as a result of recent changes at the site. Not a single thing I have ever created is still left there, including something I created 10 days ago. I'm inquiring, but I have to assume that everything is lost.

In recent times, thispersondoesnotexist.com also disappeared. There is another site I know, Generated.photos, which creates decent images but is a pay-only model.

I just tried out a few other sites and am generally not excited about the output, very little of which is suitable for the purpose.

If I have to start over from scratch, I figured I'd at least ask around and see if anyone else is doing this and find out what their site(s) of choice are.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,822

my images are still up at Artbreeder but I don't have many

I see Stability has taken the  This Person Does Not Exist site

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,106
    edited March 2023

paulawp (marahzen) said:

The question of the day is: What site do you source your images from?

I have used Artbreeder since - well, since before I was even using Daz. My whole original purpose in learning to use Daz was to use FaceGen to create characters from Artbreeder portraits. I have nearly three years of files - entire groups of related characters - at Artbreeder that as of sometime in the last week and a half got dumped, presumably as a result of recent changes at the site. Not a single thing I have ever created is still left there, including something I created 10 days ago. I'm inquiring, but I have to assume that everything is lost.

In recent times, thispersondoesnotexist.com also disappeared. There is another site I know, Generated.photos, which creates decent images but is a pay-only model.

I just tried out a few other sites and am generally not excited about the output, very little of which is suitable for the purpose.

If I have to start over from scratch, I figured I'd at least ask around and see if anyone else is doing this and find out what their site(s) of choice are.

If they should reappear download them all or do screen shots etc...  Never trust any storage sysytem but what's in your computer/hand 
    Sorry for the loss.  
    Try logging in with a different brower might help

Post edited by alan bard newcomer on
  • I'm seeing Discord chatter at Artbreeder from my inquiry. It does turn out that the files are there, there's just something wiggy today about seeing/saving things when logged in.

Alan has a very good point about trusting other people's storage systems.

• paulawp (marahzen) said:

I'm seeing Discord chatter at Artbreeder from my inquiry. It does turn out that the files are there, there's just something wiggy today about seeing/saving things when logged in.

Alan has a very good point about trusting other people's storage systems.

been doing computers sincd '78 I don't even trust my system which is why I have 30tb on line and have picking up at 24t back up the two 12t s that are a couple years old. 
    Okay to have dups online but primary backup for yourself is good. 
    Still sorting for dups in the backup but I have copies of it on two drives
    ===
    Even your own cloud storage .. I know a couple people who have been locked out for a week or two when a login file got corrupted. 

daz scenes back.jpg
    545 x 680 - 136K
  • https://thispersondoesnotexist.xyz/facegenerator.php

There's also a full body generator now too.

And if it matters, might want to read over their license too.

• Suddenly realizing that old is when you think back to your costume and makeup class in your second year of collage and it was 1965. 
    Anyway our instructor said you have to do a Makeup Morgue and that's an assignment . 
    Life was simple then find images, cut and paste the real old way. I still have mine downstairs in a file cabinet... maybe I should dig it up but there's stuff in front of that cabinet. 
    ---
    But there are photos everywhere. 
    The redhead popped up on the net, the 40s dude is my Uncle and the girl in the middle was in a photography magazine in the 60 and that image was used for the character with the falcon. 
    I think I did them with head shop but all I use is the shape ... skins are done with skinbuilder etc. So yeah, you still have your highschool yearbook?

headshop sampler.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 1M
    sample 9f.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
    eirlyse falcon back flipped 1.jpg
    4000 x 2000 - 1M
  • Artbreeder appears to be fixed as of recent moments. Apparently, there was a site update yesterday that might have caused this. Definitely was a wakeup call to get anything I might want saved locally, but I would be seriously bummed if all those existing characters were no longer available to breed new images from. I used thispersondoesnotexist for occasional one-off characters, but afaik, nothing else offers what Artbreeder does in terms of face creation. 

I like Artbreeder in particular because you have extensive control over the output. I can't speak for now, but back in 2020 when I created most of my characters, there were so many people playing with it, creating such a huge population of faces to draw on, I could scroll through existing images, pick a few I liked, cross them until I got something that started to resemble how I pictured a given character, and fine-tune from there. In particular, the story I'm working on involves several families, so I needed relatives, which are almost what Artbreeder Portrait was designed to do. Find a source image that the siblings/parents/kids/cousins will eventually derive from, then twiddle and outcross until I get what I'm looking for. 

I use Face Transfer, having switched over from FaceGen about a year and a half ago. I use the shape and the skin. This was my newest gallery image using FT-sourced characters, from a week or so ago. (Ironically, after all of the Artbreeder fuss, these happen to be "instant people" created from thispersondoesnotexist images. This was just a random image created from testing some new products.)

AfterTheStorm.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 873K