Poses not working similarly on similarly rigged figures

Hi all,

I've rigged some simple figures (poseable ropes with 16 bones). They were rigged separately but very similarly for two different geometries.  What I'm finding is that a pose on one is not properly transferring to the other - and vice versa.  I don't understand why.  It seems certain of the 16 bones just are not reading the pose information the same way.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to overcome this so that a save pose can be shared between the two figures?

Cheers, Lx

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Check and see that all the bones are oriented the same, because if one is XYZ and the other is ZYX things will be 'off' when applying a pose for one on the other.  Also make sure there are no initial rotations...they'll act as an offset.

• Thanks for the quick reply mjc.  All bones in both rigs are yxz as planned. When I load both figures afresh, the only diffference I can see is one has bones "showing" and the other does not.  Any other suggestions?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    stitlown said:

When I load both figures afresh, the only diffference I can see is one has bones "showing" and the other does not. 

That is probably just a matter of which one is selected...

stitlown said:

Any other suggestions?

Weight mapping...

Of course if the items are not completely identical, there will be differences that may not be able to be adjusted by adjusting the mapping.

• Hmmm,  Asking a different way.  Is there an easy way to make them identical.  What I started out wanting to do, but did not find a way, was to have one set of bones with two different geometries that I can toggle between.

Might have to be one of those things lived with..  Thanks,  Lx

• stitlownstitlown Posts: 278
    edited September 2015

OK. So chance led me to discover what the issue is.  I'm just not sure how to overcome the issue - apart from starting from scratch.  I have 8 very similar figures for a "versatile" rope I've been working on - must be the boy scout in me.  Their rigging is meant to be "identical" although each was rigged from scratch. There are 16 bones in a simple parent / child heirarchy from 00 to 15.  Each figure has different geometry and the bone length is in three sets - 2x short bones, 4x medium bones and 2x long bones.

Seven of the eight behave virtually identically, but the eighth is it's own beast in as far as a pose transferred from any of the 7 does not produce the same result on it.  And the reason is that, for it, bone09 settings are applied to bone11; bone11 to bone14; bone13 to bone15; bone14 to bone13 and bone15 to bone09.  All other bone stettings transfer as expected; 00 to 00, 01 to 01 down to 08 to 08, then 10 to 10 and 12 to 12.

I can see nothing in joint editor that hints at a difference.  If I "copy from selected figure" in figure set up I appear to get the same expected heirarchy from the seven or from the eight (I did not experiement with making the figure). But if I extract donor bones in joint editor I get the same 5 bones not working per their heirarchy in the donor figure.

I'm going to rerig the mischief-maker from scratch to see if I can avoid the issue - but I'm really curious to understand why it happened and more importantly how to fix it using the tools rather than starting again.

Any suggestions or insights? Cheers. Lx

Still interested in thoughts / suggestions for next time - but the upshot is that starting afresh has fixed the problem and now all 8 behave virtually identically. Cheers. Lx

Post edited by stitlown on