Geometry Editor affecting parent mesh.

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591

...I have bene working on a scene that uses the Magnus Manor set and was going to do a bit of "kitbashing" with the organ. I wanted to make what is called a "Postiv" whihc is a smaller division of the organ that is placed behind the organist on the railing of the balcony/loft which oiften looks like a smaller representation of the main organ case (see pic below).

So I loaded a second copy of the organ scaled it down to about 40%,  then deleted what I could of the console and such after which I used the Geometry Editor to make a separate surface for the the bottom of the case so I could turn off the opacity (effectively rtemoving it).  Worked like a charm except for one issue, after I moved it to the location on the balcony railing, I noticed that the bottom part of the main organ already in the scene was gone as well (the console and lamps were still there) but none of the woodwork for the base.

I backed out without saving (losing about a half hour's worth of  work) so that the main organ in the scene wouldn't be changed. I then did a little experiment opening a blank scene, loading the organ, saving it as a scene subset and then made the same modification. After that I loaded in a second copy of the organ, and noticed the bottom of the case had been given the same surface designation as the one I kitbashed. So what this means is somehow the geometry editor is treating multiple copies of the same mesh as if they were instances of each other instead This is no good.

I have never seen this happen before and I've used the Geometry editor a lot, all the way back to ver. 4.5. Is there any way to get around this at all?

Fig 1. Organ with Positiv.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Comments

• You've probably already thought of this, but maybe save it as another object (perhaps an FBX or OBJ) then reimport it?

• I would think exporting and importing under a new name would work, but - assuming you aren't using Instances or Geometry Shells  - this should be reported as a bug/design issue. I suspect that DS is using a single copy of the geometry for each copy of the item to reduce overheads, but editing the geometry should - at least by default - spawn a new mesh for the edited item.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

I can concur that I have had this issue also.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591
    edited September 2015

I would think exporting and importing under a new name would work, but - assuming you aren't using Instances or Geometry Shells  - this should be reported as a bug/design issue. I suspect that DS is using a single copy of the geometry for each copy of the item to reduce overheads, but editing the geometry should - at least by default - spawn a new mesh for the edited item.

...that is what I would think. I first deleted the console portions of the organ renamed it "Positiv" and saved as a scene subset. I then closed it, opened it again, loaded a second copuy of the organ, and that one had the "new" surface I created with the geometry editor applied to it as well. As this is Daz Content, it doesn't need "importing". 

I'll issue a ticket, but in the meantime, I also need to find some kind of "quick and dirty" solution so I can get the scene completed.

Is there a way to spawn a new mesh (like you can with a morph) in Daz?

• i have had this problem as well! And they weren't even copies of each other. They were both Genesis 2 figures in the scene at the same time, but not named the same. I had to go back to an old save but fortunately didn't lose any work.

edited September 2015

...now that is serious especially as G2 ( as well as Genesis, G3, et al) is effectively the "unimesh" on which a number of different Daz characters are based.  Like Richard mentioned, it's beginning to sound more and more like some kind of optimisation was recently done to save on resources as in older versions of the programme, I never had this occur.

Guess I could try saving it as an asset and see what happens.

• for me I just deleted the mesh I didn't want with the new surfaces on. Went to an old file and got the pure version. Made the change i wanted with only one figure in scene then merged them. both kept their different new named surface. So glad it's still possible to merge them and not jack things up again, but yeah certainly a bug.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    kyoto kid said:
    I first deleted the console portions of the organ renamed it "Positiv" and saved as a scene subset. I then closed it, opened it again, loaded a second copuy of the organ,

Don't save as a scene subset, that uses the same mesh data files as the original object. Try saving as a Figure/Prop Asset instead, using different folder names from the original so that should force D|S to create new mesh data files from the edits you've done.

..that's what I am thinking of doing. Been busy with RL rubbish but when things settle down I'll give that a try.