Using Gen 2 skins on Genesis-- Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked and answered before...

cdemeritcdemerit Posts: 505

So, I'm trying to use a G2F skin on my G1 character...  When I load it, I do not see the G2F UV map in my G1 UVset dropdown choice.... googlefu has failed me, Forum search is useless, and searching for UV's in the store brings up hairs... All the thread I find are on going from V4/M4 or G1 to G2.... I'm pretty sure I've seen the going from G2 to G1 someplace... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post edited by cdemerit on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,050
    edited October 2015

What UVs does the skin use? For base G2F Uvs you'd need this: http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-male-and-female-base-uvs-for-genesis

For V6 UVs you'd need this: http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-6-and-michael-6-uvs-for-genesis

And there's a batch converter to convert the presets if you want to use multiple skins (you'd still need the first products I listed)

http://www.daz3d.com/batch-convert-genesis-2-to-genesis

Post edited by Leana on
  • cdemeritcdemerit Posts: 505
    Leana said:

What UVs does the skin use? For base G2F Uvs you'd need this: http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-male-and-female-base-uvs-for-genesis

Well, This was what I was looking for, I knew I saw something like it, but for whatever reason, it simply did not want to show up in searches...

However, basically I bought Anemone for G2F yesterday for her skins... I have a alien wasp creature that a couple of her skins will be perfect for... I didn't realize I lacked the UV's to go from G2F to G1... I'll definately be picking up that set as soon as possible... but for now, is there a tutorial someplace to show how to do it manually? At least for now... All the tutorials seem to be going the other direction, from M4V4/G1 to G2...

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890
    edited October 2015

There's a script out there for setting/migrating basic UVs. You'll still have to individually copy surfaces, but that's ... not so terrible. (Copy, paste, copy, paste...)

http://www.sharecg.com/v/73633/view/21/DAZ-Studio/UVSetterGen2-Revised

I've found this AMAZINGLY helpful for quickly and easily adding UV sets to figures. Note that you have to own the root figure. So if you want to add Stephanie to a G2F, you need to own Stephanie... 4 or 5. I think.

So, for example, if you have a Genesis figure, you can copy, say, Michael 5 from G2M -- copy M5's face, paste it to the face zone (which is... 4 or so surfaces?). Same for Torso, etc. It will look like a mess, probably. If Genesis UVs don't show Michael 5 as an option (I forget if they do by default), run UV Setter2 for Genesis: M5 and bam.

Post edited by Oso3D on

You can't add G2F Uvs to Genesis manually. Well, not easily anyway. I suppose you could do your own remap, since vendors have done it to create the product I linked to, but that would require a lot of work IMHO.

If you have v5, what you could do is use the Map Transfer function in DS to convert the maps from the UVs they currently use to V5 UVs, since G2F can use V5 UVs by default. I've never used that function but there are tutorials in the forums IIRC. Basically you load G2F, apply the materials you want, go to surface tab and find the "Map transfer" option in the menu. You'll need to select the surfaces you want to convert, the target UVs and a folder to save the converted maps. Once the conversion is done you should be able to apply the new maps to Genesis 1.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

Well, poo. I didn't look at that carefully enough... that script only works for Genesis 2, and I can't find anything equivalent for Genesis 1. My bad!

There's a script out there for setting/migrating basic UVs. You'll still have to individually copy surfaces, but that's ... not so terrible. (Copy, paste, copy, paste...)

http://www.sharecg.com/v/73633/view/21/DAZ-Studio/UVSetterGen2-Revised

This script doesn't migrate UVs between figures, it sets the UV to the value you want in the surface tab for all G2F or G2M surfaces. And you still need to have the required figures.

edited October 2015
    Leana said:

You can't add G2F Uvs to Genesis manually. Well, not easily anyway. I suppose you could do your own remap, since vendors have done it to create the product I linked to, but that would require a lot of work IMHO.

If you have v5, what you could do is use the Map Transfer function in DS to convert the maps from the UVs they currently use to V5 UVs, since G2F can use V5 UVs by default. I've never used that function but there are tutorials in the forums IIRC. Basically you load G2F, apply the materials you want, go to surface tab and find the "Map transfer" option in the menu. You'll need to select the surfaces you want to convert, the target UVs and a folder to save the converted maps. Once the conversion is done you should be able to apply the new maps to Genesis 1.

Yeah... I found that, and wasted 8 hours so far trying to get it to work... it sort of does, but then I keep getting gaps... or odd artifacts... Seems each time I run it, I get different results.. Oh well, maybe that UV set will go on sale soon... 

Edit: Well, It seems I have Vicky 4, 6, and 7 but not 5.... That might be part of my problems...

goober.png
    1024 x 768 - 430K
    Post edited by cdemerit on

Well, 10 hours later, I think I have a skin transfer that works... what a PITA....  Had to do the map conversion multiple times then put them together in gimp to get the errors out... I never realized at how easy the "Use UV set" Dropdown made using skins from other versions really was...

Do you have the v4 Uvs for G2F? If so, using map transfer but converting to V4 UVs could also work, as Genesis 1 includes those.