Miraheze and Daz/Poser Freebies?

Recently saw that Miraheze has announced that it will be shutting down all of its wikis: https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Board/Policies/20230615-Statement

Presumably, that would include the enormous Poser and Daz Free Resources collection (https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page), which is an amazing resource. I'd hate to lose it.

Comments

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,092
    Oh. Not good news. @DollyGirl do you know of any plans being discussed for PoserDazFreebies?. Regards, Richard.
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,649

As 3WC has pointed out Miraheze is not closing down. We, Poser DAZ Freebie wiki, are staying on Miraheze. It should be noted that the Freebie wiki is living in it's second home. We had to move after our first host closed down after some massive data lose. We have taken steps to ensure that we can move if needed to another home. We have been on Miraheze for around 10 years. Miraheze hosts hundreds of wikis and has centers world wide. We are prepared and committed to continue providing this resource to the 3D community.

A great bit of news to hear, thanks DollyGirl. Regards, Richard.

I want to give thanks to Blando and Richard. It is always nice to know that people care about the wiki.

I must admit to caring about the wiki for two very selfish reasons. I am a total cheapskate and love a central resource for finding free stuff, and secondly, I am foolishly attached to a couple of older characters and still enjoying using them despite their limitations. This needs access to stuff that has mostly disappeared, and that's the biggest strength of PoserDazFreebies with all the references to the WayBackMachine entries (it's absolutely miraculous that you can find them). Regards, Richard.
    edited June 2023

Not miraculous but labor intensive. I read the readmes to find clues to creator's old websites. When I find one I not only look for free stuff on the site but look through the 3D content creator link list to find others. Then you can use the wayback machine to look for web sites of some of the more active creators such as Runtime DNA or aerysoul. They changed their domain names back in the early days or had a second website in tandum with their main site. I know how a teasure hunter feels when they find something. Take artist Jamie Cordell, digital.intoxication: the.digital.artwork.of.jamie.cordell (archive.org). Jamie's outfit is fetish but with Jepe's Sample Sheetz for V4, (Free Sample SheetZ For Victoria 4 by jepegraphics on DeviantArt ) you can make a lovely battle queen.  I found Jamie's site through the above process. Then when I looked on the wiki there was his stuff already listed. It is a wonderful place for getting back some of the old content.

Post edited by DollyGirl on