DAZ and Poser

1235»

Comments

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447

Alas, I can't work without being able to use dynamic clothing, without the collision-aware morph brush, without lighting that has different attentuation settings,and without the ability to rapidly and easily cut and slice up props (and generate actual geometry from them) -- all inside a single application. DS can do many things, but even if I could get a good looking render from it, it would still severely hamper my workflow if I had to keep switching from one app to another to do what I currently do in just one.

Hoping either Poser OR DS adds the needed features to make one of them the do-it-all for me. I honestly don't care which one does it. I'm game for either. :D Otherwise, I'll stick with whichever one requires the least app to app switching. Right now, that's Poser. In future, it may be DS. No point trying to guess at this time, though.

There is one feature of Poser that I actively dislike.

When I'm working at the bar at my local watering-hole (which is notoriously 'family-friendly'), and I do a test render, I do not like to be vividly reminded that the last render I did was of a naked dude!  It freaks people out (particularly me!), and makes people look at me like I'm some kind of pervert!

(Which, of course, I am, as anyone on these forums could tell you.  But that's not the point.)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

I need to render more 'naked old guy with his wang out' shots. Ha ha ha

Oh, thank you so much for that mental picture!  Do you have any idea how much brain-bleach it's going to take to scrub that image out of my head!?

And speaking of which, it's almost cocktail time!  My Martini awaits!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

If you want to see him in all his glory, my deviantart awaits!

If you want to see him in all his glory, my deviantart awaits!

Don't need to; my place has mirrors.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,961
    Fisty said:

lighting that has different attentuation settings

. . .

and without the ability to rapidly and easily cut and slice up props (and generate actual geometry from them)

1) AoA lights do.

...as I understand flagging surfaces that use SSS is still broken and has been since Daz 4.7.

edited October 2015

One cannot talk of "workflow" when pretending to do everything in one single application. Workflow implies the cooperation of several application, each specialized for its purposes.

I totally disagree with this. Workflow can be a single operation in a single app as long as it is repeatable and consitant.

...it can work well with multiple dedicated applications provided there is a vehicle for transferring work  between them (like the bridges to Photoshop, ZBrush, Bryce, and Hexagon). I've said my peace on what I call "jack of all trades" applications vs. more dedicated ones..

...apologies Richard for nudging the train from the side again.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Oh, thank you so much for that mental picture!  Do you have any idea how much brain-bleach it's going to take to scrub that image out of my head!?

And speaking of which, it's almost cocktail time!  My Martini awaits!

...brain bleach and Oxy Clean™ here.

...oh yeah, it's happy hour...Nice day out will be back later.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

What Ken said /nod

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694

Would that be NOGWHWO?

• Fisty said:

lighting that has different attentuation settings

. . .

and without the ability to rapidly and easily cut and slice up props (and generate actual geometry from them)

1) AoA lights do.

2) That's built into DS and has been for a good while, polygon editor tools.

I remember asking about attenuation on lights -- in these very forums -- and I got no answer. LOL. Good to know such a thing exists -- not an add-on, I hope.

Polygon tools: Someone needs to explain how to use these to the poor guy in another thread who is having trouble rendering "through a wall" because it would completely eliminate his problems! (I think I've seen 20 threads about the same problem over the years, and everyone suggests making walls transparent. But that's such a kludgy fix when you can just split the prop up and resave to the library for future use.

• Use the tools that get the jobs done for you and be happy :-).

Poser has lost market mostly due to the same reasons that tablet sales are slowing...  no need to upgrade because "the old stuff still works" and "the new stuff isn't giving enough reason to spend the $$ to upgrade".  When there is a cost to upgrading, there is an inherent Return-On-Investment calculation that happens ... and for most Poser users, the features in the new Posers weren't enough to justify the costs.  DAZ went the other way with 4.x.  Remove the application cost and the software ROI calculation is mostly removed from the equation.  Sure, the user may need new hardware, but they're getting that pressure from multiple directions, not just DAZ.  So the pain is justifyable because multiple software packages will benefit.

Now, IMO, DAZ is looking for competition in higher directions.  Does DAZ need Poser as competition?  I don't think so.  These days the competition is from Unity, Unreal, iClone, etc.  Some of those directly compete, others indirectly.  The mesh for G3 is more palatable for other "high-end" packages, and the "no purchased content" bigotry that has existed in the high-end CG market is starting to die out.  This will probably lead to DAZ sold content being more used in the wider industry.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

The mesh for G3 is more palatable for other "high-end" packages, and the "no purchased content" bigotry that has existed in the high-end CG market is starting to die out.  This will probably lead to DAZ sold content being more used in the wider industry.

And that is definitely a 'plus' for Daz...

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

Would attenuation be the same as general decay or does Poser actually do attenuation based on medium? If its decay studio has had that on spots and points for quite some time.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,821

Use the tools that get the jobs done for you and be happy :-).

Poser has lost market mostly due to the same reasons that tablet sales are slowing...  no need to upgrade because "the old stuff still works" and "the new stuff isn't giving enough reason to spend the $$ to upgrade".  When there is a cost to upgrading, there is an inherent Return-On-Investment calculation that happens ... and for most Poser users, the features in the new Posers weren't enough to justify the costs.  DAZ went the other way with 4.x.  Remove the application cost and the software ROI calculation is mostly removed from the equation.  Sure, the user may need new hardware, but they're getting that pressure from multiple directions, not just DAZ.  So the pain is justifyable because multiple software packages will benefit.

Now, IMO, DAZ is looking for competition in higher directions.  Does DAZ need Poser as competition?  I don't think so.  These days the competition is from Unity, Unreal, iClone, etc.  Some of those directly compete, others indirectly.  The mesh for G3 is more palatable for other "high-end" packages, and the "no purchased content" bigotry that has existed in the high-end CG market is starting to die out.  This will probably lead to DAZ sold content being more used in the wider industry.

This^
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,473
    edited November 2015

It seems I'm the only one interested in what Poser 11 can bring to improved Cartoon rendering (and no, I don't mean "Toon" rendering). The Cartoon mode and outlining models seem to be better in Poser, at least from what I've seen. This could be a big jump start to my illustration work.

Personally, I don't want Poser to die. I like competition. 

That being said, I did buy Poser 2014 Pro earlier this year while it was on sale, and I've yet to get it working correctly. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my computer at the end of the year, and trying one last time to get it working correctly. If not, I'll just have to suck up the loss and stick with Poser 2010 Pro, which does PLENTY of what I need it to do regarding dynamic cloth and handling legacy figures.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

It seems I'm the only one interested in what Poser 11 can bring to improved Cartoon rendering (and no, I don't mean "Toon" rendering). The Cartoon mode and outlining models seem to be better in Poser, at least from what I've seen. This could be a big jump start to my illustration work.

IF they are also leveraging Blender's 'Freestyle' as part of the renderengine upgrade, that could explain the improvements...

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128

I'll have to buy the new version of Poser ..... the new figures Paul and Pauline - same names as my parents smiley

I hope it's brilliant; it will certainly be interesting to see what it brings that's new, other than the render engine. I'm meaning specifically models.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694

If Superfly (I think that's what the version of Cycles being coded for Poser will be called) lives up to the promise of integrating with Poser's material room so I don't have to invest in a whole new set of materials, then I'll be happy. 

• marblemarble Posts: 7,482

I have to say that DAZ marketing is brilliant. I get sucked into ther sales despite swearing I'll stay away. Everyone likes a bargain even if the price was perhaps too high to start with. There are retail stroes on the High Street that use the same ploy and it works. I downloaded DAZ Studio more than 10 years ago and got used to it. I can't get along with either Poser or Carrara, even though I have bought versions of both - they are dead to me. Getting the initial interest using sophisticated software given away for nothing is just good marketing sense.

Unfortunately, they might ruin all that good work with DRM now. 

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Make that one of two people interested in this feature. 

• ssgbryan said:

Personally, I don't want Poser to die. I like competition. 

That being said, I did buy Poser 2014 Pro earlier this year while it was on sale, and I've yet to get it working correctly. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my computer at the end of the year, and trying one last time to get it working correctly. If not, I'll just have to suck up the loss and stick with Poser 2010 Pro, which does PLENTY of what I need it to do regarding dynamic cloth and handling legacy figures.

I wouldn't worry too much about Poser's future.  We have been hearing reports of Poser's impending demise since at least Dec 2004 from my own personal experience.

I wouldn't put much too much stock in what is being said here.

Whether you think Poser's future is in doubt is one thing, Smith Micro's is looking bleak.  Remember Poser is only one product in a division that has 10% of thier sales.  They are a publicly traded company, you can look up their status if you are interested.  What I don't think is going to happen is that the release of the next version of Poser is going to have any significant impact on Smith Micro's financials.

marble said:

I have to say that DAZ marketing is brilliant. I get sucked into ther sales despite swearing I'll stay away. Everyone likes a bargain even if the price was perhaps too high to start with. There are retail stroes on the High Street that use the same ploy and it works. I downloaded DAZ Studio more than 10 years ago and got used to it. I can't get along with either Poser or Carrara, even though I have bought versions of both - they are dead to me. Getting the initial interest using sophisticated software given away for nothing is just good marketing sense.

Unfortunately, they might ruin all that good work with DRM now. 

They might, but also, they might not.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,969
    Tobor said:

Make that one of two people interested in this feature. 

Make that one of three people interested in this feature.