Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.9.0.21!

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Pendraia said:

As vendors are fond of saying the vocal majority are not always the best way to plan how to develop your products. Many have complained in the past of how this has led to problems for them...just a thought.

And that's the problem, Pendraia. This whole thread is almost entirely made of people saying "that new way of doing things, we don't like it. Adress known problems first!" and the Daz team is busy trying to forcefully sell us the thing no matter what. This cannot end well.

Addendum: I just thought about something, while reloading the DAZ3D homepage. You have that quote, up there:

“...accurate character tolerances made Daz a go-to solution on CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, and IRON MAN.” - RON MENDELL

Hey, Daz people? When you're working with Hollywood people and such, if you do as this quote suggests, I wonder if you're being as rigid as with your regular punters, that is, us. Somehow, I doubt it a bit.

Post edited by second_technician_rimmer_9571136c47 on
  • AnotherUserNameAnotherUserName Posts: 2,727
    edited October 2015
    BeeMKay said:

Figures - People - Female.

Smart Content in 4.8, "Default"

Actually, you can test it out with 4.8. Open the Smart content Pane, it works, as far as sorting is concerned, the same.

(and what I just found out, which I wasn't aware before... the Categories I created for myself in 4.8 are actually usable as Smart Content categories, so I can use my own sorting in Smart Content. Interesting. Is this the same in 4.9?

Smart Content using my own Categories which I use for sorting from the Content Library)

EDIT: I've decided, after long deliberations, that I will install 4.9 on my main machine. That means that I still have some backing up to do, and of course I have added a new "first" directory to my DAZ Studio Formats folders, which is outside of my regular library folder. If I remember correctly, ther was something about 4.9 Categorized content not showing up properly in 4.8 Categorization , or something, so I will have to give this a closer look.

Its combining ALL of your characters for ALL of your figures together? I have alot of characters. That would be tedious to search through. Can you filter that list?

Post edited by AnotherUserName on
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    L'Adair said:
    atticanne said:
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

I do nearly everything on my desktop computer, but I do have a laptop. If I install 4.9 to my laptop and try out DAZ Connect, will content on my desktop be affected and start requiring DAZ Connect if and when I upgrade to 4.9? Or will the fact the two computers won't be using the same database be sufficient to prevent that?

First, nothing will happen to your existing installs - only the content installed with Connect is encrypted. As for using both the laptop and the desktop, it is my understanding from official posts that while the rules say one active machine only in fact, in the majority of cases, you would be able to have both machines actively registered to use Connect-installed content - but there are a number of fctors involved which make it impossible to be definitive (I hope it will be possible to be clearer in future).

I understand this. I'm not worried about the encryption. My concern was about your end. Was there anything on the servers that would require I continue to use DAZ Connect. My instinct says, "No," but I wanted to verify this first. I'm not planning on using 4.9 for anything other than looking at how it works, for now. If I like what I see, I'll be installing it on my Desktop once changes via 4.8 are visible in 4.9 and vice-versa.

L'Adair said:

I do nearly everything on my desktop computer, but I do have a laptop. If I install 4.9 to my laptop and try out DAZ Connect, will content on my desktop be affected and start requiring DAZ Connect if and when I upgrade to 4.9? Or will the fact the two computers won't be using the same database be sufficient to prevent that?

The answer is:  if the two computers are NOT using the same database, then no your content on your desktop won't be affected by 4.9 being on your laptop.  At least, that's how I understand things.

Thanks. As I mentioned above, I'm just verifying there isn't anything on the DAZ servers/cloud that will muck up my install on the desktop.

I suggest you be very careful.  I tried 4.9 and installed my Genesis and Genesis 2 Starter Essentials.  Even though I uninstalled the new ones, through DIM I cannot get my regular unencrypted files to download or install.

Was this on a different computer as your 4.8 install, or the same computer?

One of the first things this thread told us was once something gets converted over to DAZ Connect, we'd have to continue using connect for that product. That's why I'm not willing to install the Beta on my desktop computer. I don't want to be stuck if I happen to not like DAZ Connect.

Same computer.  If this is true, then I'll just scratch DAZ and use Poser and Carrara.  

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited October 2015

After I reimported my metadata, more showed up. Not all. But some. 

Although I'm trying to figure out how on earth the DAZ Monstrostries: Infernal Behemoth got categorized as " Figures/People/Female/FantasySciFi" to show up in my Smart Content as that. If i change it to creatures/fantasy/land, and then 'export user data'...the category gets changed, but it does NOT show up in Smart Content under that section. 

See, that sort of mistake is what I DON'T make when I am organizing the files myself. Which is why Smart Content is not going to work for me. At all. 

BeeMKay said:
    jakiblue said:

Is there any clear, easily understood documentation on Smart Content at all?

Something that will explain to me: 1. What EXACTLY is Smart Content? 2. Is it metadata that organizes Smart Content? 3. What is the difference between 'files' and 'products' view? 

I am seriously trying to work out if Smart Content can replace my organization - if i can use DS via the Smart Content only - as that's the major problem I have wiht the beta ideas. Cos if Smart Content actually WORKS, then when I go to "Figures" in Smart Content...where is my Eva 7? Where are all my FWART characters? And Silver characters? Why is there only ONE Silver character in there? Where is Genesis 2 adn Aiko and Stephanie etc etc? Why does my Figures in smart content only show 13 'people' instead of the gazillion I have from the DAZ Store. 

Actually, you can test it out with 4.8. Open the Smart content Pane, it works, as far as sorting is concerned, the same.

(and what I just found out, which I wasn't aware before... the Categories I created for myself in 4.8 are actually usable as Smart Content categories, so I can use my own sorting in Smart Content. Interesting. Is this the same in 4.9?

Smart Content using my own Categories which I use for sorting from the Content Library)

EDIT: I've decided, after long deliberations, that I will install 4.9 on my main machine. That means that I still have some backing up to do, and of course I have added a new "first" directory to my DAZ Studio Formats folders, which is outside of my regular library folder. If I remember correctly, ther was something about 4.9 Categorized content not showing up properly in 4.8 Categorization , or something, so I will have to give this a closer look...

Post edited by jakiblue on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 7,018
    BeeMKay said:

EDIT: I've decided, after long deliberations, that I will install 4.9 on my main machine. That means that I still have some backing up to do, and of course I have added a new "first" directory to my DAZ Studio Formats folders, which is outside of my regular library folder. If I remember correctly, ther was something about 4.9 Categorized content not showing up properly in 4.8 Categorization , or something, so I will have to give this a closer look.

Its combining ALL of your characters for ALL of your figures together? I have alot of characters. That would be tedious to search through. Can you filter that list?

Yes, there's a textbox at the top of smart content that allows search, both in 4.8 and in 4.9. The 4.9 search is supposedly superior to the 4.8 one.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,598
    edited October 2015
    Pendraia said:

As vendors are fond of saying the vocal majority are not always the best way to plan how to develop your products. Many have complained in the past of how this has led to problems for them...just a thought.

And that's the problem, Pendraia. This whole thread is almost entirely made of people saying "that new way of doing things, we don't like it. Adress known problems first!" and the Daz team is busy trying to forcefully sell us the thing no matter what. This cannot end well.

Having finished reading the thread I'm still confused about what is the best way to go...I'm busy at the moment writing reports for school so I think I will just wait and see. After all at the moment it is still a beta. Like many people here I'm not fond of DRM and feel the only thing it ever accomplishes is to punish the people who actually buy products (like myself).

I like using categories (the smart content tab not so much) especially as I now have it arranged to my liking.

I feel for the vendors who believe that they are losing sales thru' piracy but I'm not sure that this is really the case. I'm not sure that I believe that the people downloading at torrent sites would ever actually buy products from a store but can see how vendors might think that it does cost them sales. Recent articles that I've seen and read seem to point to pirates not buying content also...some of these have already been linked to.

I know and can say though, that I have tested products for some vendors and still buy their products simply because I want to support that vendor and like their products and their attitudes towards their customers. So attitudes of vendors towards customers do count and can affect their sales.

I worry that so many companies these days only look at the bottom line and not at the ripples that their actions cause. These days I like to buy from companies that I believe have an ethical base and a loyalty to their customers especially when it is discretionary spending for hobbies. 

Will I be downloading DS4.9? I don't know...I think I'll wait and see what happens before getting too concerned about it though. After all it's a beta at this moment no one is forcing me to use it. So I will let the dust settle and take it from there. I am someone who loves using Daz Studio and I have been using it since 2005...so in the meantime I will be reading these forums with a view to finding out more about this latest version of DS and how the users who download and use it find their experience.

Post edited by Pendraia on
    jakiblue said:

After I reimported my metadata, more showed up. Not all. But some. 

Although I'm trying to figure out how on earth the DAZ Monstrostries: Infernal Behemoth got categorized as " Figures/People/Female/FantasySciFi" to show up in my Smart Content as that. If i change it to creatures/fantasy/land, and then 'export user data'...the category gets changed, but it does NOT show up in Smart Content under that section. 

See, that sort of mistake is what I DON'T make when I am organizing the files myself. Which is why Smart Content is not going to work for me. At all. 

Where are you changing it to "creatures..."? In the metadata? (sorry, very confused here)...

• CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    mjm said:
    Daikatana said:
    mjm said:

I've read this entire discussion – people expressed many concerns about not being able to use the content library (as is the DAZ Studio Formats section) or to rearrange their files. But in my opinion, there is another, far more important and insidious problem. What if one day DAZ goes out of business or, for some reason, is no longer able to provide their services? It's not something we want to happen but nevertheless it's within the realms of possibility. What happens with all the content we bought? Since it's encrypted, it can't be used in other software. Even if someone creates an application meant to replace DAZ Studio, they won't be able to make it compatible with the encrypted content. So, in the end, we'll be left with gigabytes of unusable stuff that we paid quite a lot of money for. Now, this is a discussion that we've already had in the gaming industry – what if, say, Steam goes out of business? Valve said that they have contingencies in place should something like that happen and games would still be playable. And that brings me to my question – is DAZ going to give us a guarantee that they will provide us with a way to decrypt the content when they are no longer able to support their software/store?

This is a main concern of mine as well.  I really wish someone at DAZ would chime in on this.

DAZ_Jon addressed this concern here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/936241/#Comment_936241

Fair enough, I must have missed that. Still, I'm not really on board with this entire DRM idea. I've been a gamer long enough to know that in the end it always hurts the honest, paying customers while pirates find a way around it.

Other than "I can no longer hack someone else's files" I am still waiting for a practical, real (not hypothetical) way this encryption hurts the honest paying customer. 

I'm not sure if my post addressing one specific example didn't actually post or got removed. On the chance that it didn't post I'll redo:

A lot of boots for G3F are being built by the PAs as geografts. This means that I can not add translucency or transparency (for example fretwork opacity) to the boots' texture because there is no leg to show under the boot. So I ended up hand editing a copy of the data files to remove the geograft.

Is there a way, with the new DRM'd content, to

1) edit the boots in DS using some part of the toolset to remove the geograft, and then

2) save the updated, geograftless boots to my library as wearables.

• atticanne said:
    L'Adair said:
    atticanne said:
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

First, nothing will happen to your existing installs - only the content installed with Connect is encrypted. As for using both the laptop and the desktop, it is my understanding from official posts that while the rules say one active machine only in fact, in the majority of cases, you would be able to have both machines actively registered to use Connect-installed content - but there are a number of fctors involved which make it impossible to be definitive (I hope it will be possible to be clearer in future).

I understand this. I'm not worried about the encryption. My concern was about your end. Was there anything on the servers that would require I continue to use DAZ Connect. My instinct says, "No," but I wanted to verify this first. I'm not planning on using 4.9 for anything other than looking at how it works, for now. If I like what I see, I'll be installing it on my Desktop once changes via 4.8 are visible in 4.9 and vice-versa.

L'Adair said:

The answer is:  if the two computers are NOT using the same database, then no your content on your desktop won't be affected by 4.9 being on your laptop.  At least, that's how I understand things.

Thanks. As I mentioned above, I'm just verifying there isn't anything on the DAZ servers/cloud that will muck up my install on the desktop.

I suggest you be very careful.  I tried 4.9 and installed my Genesis and Genesis 2 Starter Essentials.  Even though I uninstalled the new ones, through DIM I cannot get my regular unencrypted files to download or install.

One of the first things this thread told us was once something gets converted over to DAZ Connect, we'd have to continue using connect for that product. That's why I'm not willing to install the Beta on my desktop computer. I don't want to be stuck if I happen to not like DAZ Connect.

Same computer.  If this is true, then I'll just scratch DAZ and use Poser and Carrara.  

You can, to the best of my knowledge, uninstall the Connect version and install from DIM (or manually) - it certainly worked with a product I tried, though my bandwidth cap is limiting my ability to test at length.

• Pendraia said:
    You know.. this is the root of the whole problem. Daz has now decided they know what's best, easiest, more modern, etc etc. Smart content is easier, catagorizing in DS is better, savings new mat files is faster. No matter that some of us have been doing this for more than a decade. They still know what's best for us. Personally all I want is to sort, rename, and manage my files "like it's 1995" but the concerns are real in other areas and being told what's best is causing mounting frustration and annoyance to say the least.

We have been collecting data from the Customer Service tickets, forums, polls, surveys, watching users use the software, and the Daz Studio Improvement Program and using that data to address problems that our customers have demonstrated that they have. 

To be fair, and to give you input here, what other sources should we be using? 

Something to consider...most of this data is from users who have a problem with something. Frequently the only ones who answer polls or surveys are those who have a problem and want to change it. 

The thing you should ask yourself is how many of your users are included in that data?

Many of us are quite happy with the product we have and putter along without giving any input through those things you have mentioned.

I'm still reading and considering what my options are at the moment as I only found out about this today.

The DAZ Studio Improvement program is opt in, but it isn't a survey - it's the thing they added several versions ago (might have been 4.5 or 4.6) that sends anonymised usage data. If you can't recall whether you opted in or not check Edit>Preferences and look under Feedback in the General tab.

atticanne said:
    L'Adair said:
    atticanne said:
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

L'Adair said:

Have you checked if the essentials are still in the "installed" section of DIM? As DAZ Connect and DIM probably won't talk to each other, and DAZ Connect doesn't download ZIPS, DIM will probably still have its "I downloaded this already" files in the download directory.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    Pendraia said:
    You know.. this is the root of the whole problem. Daz has now decided they know what's best, easiest, more modern, etc etc. Smart content is easier, catagorizing in DS is better, savings new mat files is faster. No matter that some of us have been doing this for more than a decade. They still know what's best for us. Personally all I want is to sort, rename, and manage my files "like it's 1995" but the concerns are real in other areas and being told what's best is causing mounting frustration and annoyance to say the least.

We have been collecting data from the Customer Service tickets, forums, polls, surveys, watching users use the software, and the Daz Studio Improvement Program and using that data to address problems that our customers have demonstrated that they have. 

Something to consider...most of this data is from users who have a problem with something. Frequently the only ones who answer polls or surveys are those who have a problem and want to change it. 

The thing you should ask yourself is how many of your users are included in that data?

Many of us are quite happy with the product we have and putter along without giving any input through those things you have mentioned.

I'm still reading and considering what my options are at the moment as I only found out about this today.

The DAZ Studio Improvement program is opt in, but it isn't a survey - it's the thing they added several versions ago (might have been 4.5 or 4.6) that sends anonymised usage data. If you can't recall whether you opted in or not check Edit>Preferences and look under Feedback in the General tab.

I don't trust the claim it's anonymised; this isn't against Daz, it's just a general thing; when one sees reports of what companies do without telling their customers (and non-customers), it means the good/better guys can tarred with the same brush. It's tough to counteract.

• Czexana said:
    mjm said:
    Daikatana said:
    mjm said:

I've read this entire discussion – people expressed many concerns about not being able to use the content library (as is the DAZ Studio Formats section) or to rearrange their files. But in my opinion, there is another, far more important and insidious problem. What if one day DAZ goes out of business or, for some reason, is no longer able to provide their services? It's not something we want to happen but nevertheless it's within the realms of possibility. What happens with all the content we bought? Since it's encrypted, it can't be used in other software. Even if someone creates an application meant to replace DAZ Studio, they won't be able to make it compatible with the encrypted content. So, in the end, we'll be left with gigabytes of unusable stuff that we paid quite a lot of money for. Now, this is a discussion that we've already had in the gaming industry – what if, say, Steam goes out of business? Valve said that they have contingencies in place should something like that happen and games would still be playable. And that brings me to my question – is DAZ going to give us a guarantee that they will provide us with a way to decrypt the content when they are no longer able to support their software/store?

This is a main concern of mine as well.  I really wish someone at DAZ would chime in on this.

Fair enough, I must have missed that. Still, I'm not really on board with this entire DRM idea. I've been a gamer long enough to know that in the end it always hurts the honest, paying customers while pirates find a way around it.

Other than "I can no longer hack someone else's files" I am still waiting for a practical, real (not hypothetical) way this encryption hurts the honest paying customer. 

I'm not sure if my post addressing one specific example didn't actually post or got removed. On the chance that it didn't post I'll redo:

A lot of boots for G3F are being built by the PAs as geografts. This means that I can not add translucency or transparency (for example fretwork opacity) to the boots' texture because there is no leg to show under the boot. So I ended up hand editing a copy of the data files to remove the geograft.

1) edit the boots in DS using some part of the toolset to remove the geograft, and then

You can tame geoGrafting, if not completely remove it (the ability to suspend GeoGrafting would be a faeture request, I keep meaning to make it). Use the Geometry Editor tool to select (at least) one polygon you don't mind hiding on the wearer, right-click, Polygon Assignment, Set Auto Hide Faces for Fitted Figure..., pick the boots in the dialogue, fit the boots to None, fit them back to the figure. The change should save with your scene.

• nicstt said:
    Pendraia said:

I don't trust the claim it's anonymised; this isn't against Daz, it's just a general thing; when one sees reports of what companies do without telling their customers (and non-customers), it means the good/better guys can tarred with the same brush. It's tough to counteract.

Yes, it is not going to have data from everyone - but it is probably going to be a fairly broad sample of users.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    >Czexena thank you!! I now understand why when I set some boots invisible, the actor foot often disappear too. as for me geo grafted figure has been only for gen or monster hand, then not think so.^^; Now I suspect if some boot set "auto hide faces when fit to" ,about all leg and foot area where surfaces which boots will cover. But if these auto hide face boots are all "geo grafted figures" too, when you see code? And I tried to detect which faces are set as "auto hide faces or "grafted faces" in daz studio, then hope to clear such faces in daz studio, (even though it hide pozing problem, I really do not like the way ^^; I must check next I get foot wear,, unfortunately,, now many boots seems use this option,, I feel,,, I often tweak opacity and change boot part visiblity. and gradually learn to make clean opacity map because I like to mix each assets of some products to make one costume set. then need adjust each part surfaces visiblity often. it must cause problem for my actor costume set plan^^; as you mentioned there seems no way in daz studio only. Please daz programmer tell the answer, I really hope to know, there is way to re set, or re tweak them in daz studio only. or may need rig again from exported obj, then save it as new original? (though it is modified product)
    nicstt said:
    Pendraia said:

Well, but it's not something new. If you check 4.8 (Edit-->Preferences-->General), you'll find the setting there as well.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    BeeMKay said:
    nicstt said:
    Pendraia said:

Well, but it's not something new. If you check 4.8 (Edit-->Preferences-->General), you'll find the setting there as well.

I know it's there and didn't join for the reason stated. I was tempted, which is actually an indication of my positive opinion of Daz, and how I feel about them. I'm just not trusting.

edited October 2015

For those worried that installing through DAZ Connect will somehow kill existing files - no, it doesn't.

I have tested this with several of my DIM-downloaded items. What happens is that DC downloads an additional copy of the data to the DC-directory (that would be the top directory on your Content directory manager).

To avoid that I have a big mess by the end of the day, here's what I did: I added a new directory to the Content Directory Manager, and moved it to the top of the listing. This will automatically make DAz Connect look & store there.

Now, if you download (re-download something through DC, it will leave everything else untouched. As you can see, after downloading through DC, my DIM still has the file available for download, so I can properly install it with DIM as unencrypted files, too.

Also, files that I have already installed through DIM remain untouched by DC.

EDIT: This still needs a lot of "getting used to". I am missing the simple sorting functions of DIM, but I am glad that at least Smart Content still uses my own created categories to show me, so I can still find my sorted content easily.

Betalib.JPG
    403 x 124 - 20K
    dimvin.JPG
    1726 x 337 - 81K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • I have a concern with DRM. 
    Currently a family member logs  onto my PC and uses my copy of Daz Studio along with my content. 
    I realise that this is not allowed under the EULA but you don't currently prevent it so it happens.
    Once the content becomes encrypted she would need her own account and be allowed to use only the content that she has purchased, is this correct?
    She has no problem with the idea of setting up her own account and paying for her own content but she is not very savvy with e-commerce so perhaps a Daz staffer could walk her through this and work out a way that a 7 year old can pay for her content.
    She is also concerned that if Daz Studio becomes abandon ware she will be left with unusable encrypted content.
    I know that it has been stated that in that situation Daz would issue a means of unlocking said content but we have taught her not to trust what strangers on the internet say to her.

• I have a concern with DRM. 
    Currently a family member logs  onto my PC and uses my copy of Daz Studio along with my content. 
    I realise that this is not allowed under the EULA but you don't currently prevent it so it happens.
    Once the content becomes encrypted she would need her own account and be allowed to use only the content that she has purchased, is this correct?
    She has no problem with the idea of setting up her own account and paying for her own content but she is not very savvy with e-commerce so perhaps a Daz staffer could walk her through this and work out a way that a 7 year old can pay for her content.
    She is also concerned that if Daz Studio becomes abandon ware she will be left with unusable encrypted content.
    I know that it has been stated that in that situation Daz would issue a means of unlocking said content but we have taught her not to trust what strangers on the internet say to her.

I would suggest discussing this with Sales support.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    Leana said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean there... DAZ Connect will manage everything you install with it, be it Poser or DS files.

'm coming from the standpoint that

1. Poser content for use with only Poser would not be installed with Daz Connect, It would not be encrypted, and there's no point (or sense) in managing one program's files from anoher. You use zips or DIM.

2. Poser content used in both would still not be encyrpted, and would be provided in zip/DIM format, so it would be up to the user whether or not to use Daz Connect. Each would have its advantages.

If you did use Daz Connect, and assuming you could drag-and-drop, as long as you kept the Poser-specific sub-folders (Character, Pose, Props, etc.), it would still work in Poser, and would be the mechanical equivalent to moving the files using the OS. The difference is that if you move the files with Connect, Connect will know about it. If you move them in the OS, it'll break file references, and then Connect will not be able to maintain the files.

So again, I don't see any reason Connect could not be used to maintain Poser files for use with both Poser and D|S. Of course, all of this is conjecture. What I describe above doesn't exist, and may never.

• Sorry Richard I was being a bit flippant, I only keep Daz Studio on my PC because my granddaughter loves playing with it.
    Her favourite character is a gorilla (sometimes dressed as a cop) riding a tricycle over her hand drawn backgrounds which always contain a house and at least one tree. LOL
    We will be sticking with 4.8 and buying no new content from Daz.
    It is a shame to see so many of your long term customers so upset about the changes being forced on them.
    I do appreciate having the use of the program and a lot of content for free but as I see it Hexagon stopped at 2.5 and Studio stopped at 4.8.
    So it's goodbye from me and Olivia.

I have my files set up in several separate runtimes (One for Genesis, one for Mil 4, one for Mil 3, one for toons, one for props, etc.)

This is how I work, too. It's my understanding that like DIM, Connect will only ever use a single runtime. Which makes it -- like DIM -- totally useless for me. To be truly useful for as many use cases as possible, Connect needs to work with all the runtimes you might have.

• CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    Czexana said:
    mjm said:
    Daikatana said:
    mjm said:

You can tame geoGrafting, if not completely remove it (the ability to suspend GeoGrafting would be a faeture request, I keep meaning to make it). Use the Geometry Editor tool to select (at least) one polygon you don't mind hiding on the wearer, right-click, Polygon Assignment, Set Auto Hide Faces for Fitted Figure..., pick the boots in the dialogue, fit the boots to None, fit them back to the figure. The change should save with your scene.

Thank you Richard! That really does help tame the geograft.

I guess from the avoidance answering question 2 that the answer will be 'no'. Although, saving the boots as a scene subset could work and allow them to be imported into other scenes?

• jakiblue said:

Is there any clear, easily understood documentation on Smart Content at all?

This is, almost literally, being worked on right now so hopefully something will appear very soon.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

I perfect miss ,richard answer sorry. cheeky   I felt ,it simply add the selected face to current hidden face, then not try it. now understand it work so.

(but the problem for me now,, (even though I could remove geo grafted area, I used editor easy,, ) those geo grafted shoes are designed to hide meshes

then .after  I remove it,, it seems need more and more  tweaking to usable at start point , ><;   though it is not topic of here,,, )

• Tobor said:

I have my files set up in several separate runtimes (One for Genesis, one for Mil 4, one for Mil 3, one for toons, one for props, etc.)

This is how I work, too. It's my understanding that like DIM, Connect will only ever use a single runtime. Which makes it -- like DIM -- totally useless for me. To be truly useful for as many use cases as possible, Connect needs to work with all the runtimes you might have.

Connect will install to the first listed DS format content directory for now (there is going to be a more flexible option), but it will happily read from any DS format content directory if you change the order in the Content Directory Manager between installs. What I don't know is what will happen if a product installed in a lower directory is updated - whether the files will go theer or will go to the current target directory.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460

I'm gettng the distinct impression that 4.9 will have to, hopefully, go through a lot more beta iterations before public release, so I shall look at the threads with interest. I just hope and pray that if Daz Connect is something we HAVE to use that it is 101% working properly before that happens. Apologies for coming over like a screaming luddite before, it's just that we often feel like we're never consulted about all these big changes and they're just suddenly dropped on us. Most of the negative feedback is a kneejerk reaction to this rather than the changes themselves. If you were to say "We're thinking of doing this with 4.9, what do you think!?", I think it would get a much better reaction than a sudden Beta thread and "This is what we're going to do, like it or lump it!" which is how, sadly, things have been coming across.

CHEERS!

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited October 2015
    Tobor said:

Except DIM does use several runtimes.  The downloads all go to one place, but I can tell it to install a given product (or selected batch of products) to any of the runtime directories I already have set up.

Though it does appear that Daz Connect will not have that flexibility (or it does, but it's currently kinda tricky to get it to work)

Post edited by DaWaterRat on

Connect will install to the first listed DS format content directory for now (there is going to be a more flexible option), but it will happily read from any DS format content directory if you change the order in the Content Directory Manager between installs. What I don't know is what will happen if a product installed in a lower directory is updated - whether the files will go theer or will go to the current target directory.

Since D|S allows multiple runtime folders, Connect really needs to work with all of them simultaneously. This means giving the option to install into an arbitrary runtime, as well as managing the content in all the registered runtimes. At one time, Daz understood the notion and importance of having muliple runtimes, but now that flexibility is being disregarded. 

This discussion has been closed.