[Released] Universal Gamma Adjuster [Commercial]

Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554
edited November 2023 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Hi everyone!

I don't know about you but I'm looking forward to the autumn weather - we've had a weird heatwave in the UK and I'm over it hehe.

Following on from the success of 1-Click PBRSkin, I wanted to create a product that allowed gamma adjustment of any textures, not just those on Genesis figures - enter Universal Gamma Adjuster!

Universal Gamma Adjuster is a handy script dialog that will allow you to change the appearance of Base Color/Diffuse and Translucency Color textures, for any prop or figure, greatly expanding your Iray material options.

Perhaps you like a material on a figure/prop, but:

• Wish the textures were a bit darker or lighter?
  • Wish the texture colors were inverted?
  • Wish you could apply different settings to surfaces that share the same texture?

Now you can, all within Daz Studio, and no need to edit textures directly so non-destructive!

Purchase here: www.daz3d.com/universal-gamma-adjuster

Have embedded a couple of promos below, but now that attachments are working again (yay!) please click on those for full size versions and more examples.

main.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 929K
popup_01.jpg
2311 x 1300 - 2M
popup_02.jpg
2311 x 1300 - 2M
popup_03.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 1M
popup_04.jpg
2311 x 1300 - 1M
Post edited by Silas3D on

Comments

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554
    edited September 2023

Can this be used on figures, as in Genesis characters?

This product is in part a spiritual successor of 1-Click PBRSkin, the latter of which is focussed on Genesis 2 - 9 skin conversion, tone improvement and includes it's own gamma adjustment scripts.

Universal Gamma Adjuster uses the same foundations for gamma adjustment but can be used on any prop or figure (where figure refers to any 3D object with a skeleton/bones).

Other key differences:

• Ability to invert textures (which provides more color variations for shaders and materials without editing the textures)
    • This script allows fine-tuned gamma control of selected surfaces only
    • Separate LIE (Layered Image Editor) instances will be created for all selected surfaces, allowing multiple of the same base/translucency textures in the same scene to be controlled separately.

So if you had two of the same character in one scene (and therefore using the same skin textures) you could use Universal Gamma Adjuster to adjust each characters gamma separately, which isn't possible in 1-Click PBRSkin.

Another example woudl be changing the gamma for the sleeves of a tee, that by default use the same texture as the body of the tee.

Note: Bear in mind the more surfaces that are selected at the same time and the higher the resolution of the textures, the slower the script will be. This is why we chose not to convert every base/translucency texture to LIE in 1-Click PBRSkin (several textures, mostly 4K and even 8K in some instances).
    For best performance, hide scene assets that you're not working on, especially if it's a large scene.

I've enabled the 'Invert' checkbox and it washes the texture out.

Most of the time when enabling Invert, the texture will likely appear very washed out, because 2.2 as default gamma will be too high. Changing the gamma to a lower value will bring detail back into the texture and you can go as low as 0.01.

When enabling/disabling invert, the slider labels (lighter/darker) get swapped because invert also affects image gamma.

Post edited by Silas3D on
  • Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited November 2023

Hi, is there any way to export the result to a new image file?

Guessing not, as bound to DAZ LIE system.  
    Did try mutiple ways, including save Lie Preset, but DAZ LIE seems to operate by dufs controlling not just orig mat but forcing a duplicate of mat in temp folder.
    But just in case am missing something want to ask!

For your interest, just bought this script a few days ago.  Still prefer Uber Iray to PBR and most of my stuff is Iray Uber.
    Tough that one 4096x4096 material in DAZ temp LIE folder must be a png at 64mb.

Ended up using this tool to preview and decide what i like,
    and then using photoshop, with a totally different gamma correction value system, to make the .jpg.  
    Same size at 4096x4096, but file size is 1.4mb at 100% quality save. Need smaller mat sizes for bigger scenes.  So 64mb per map at 4k, not so keen.

This is where export would be handy.

Was using V3DigiTimes "Ultimate Iray Skin Manager" but that one saves via it's own text files. And only works on figures.
    Whereas yours also works on clothing and props!
    So will keep this product as a handy quick preview of many options, and keep using photoshop to make new mats.  
    Invert though is out for photoshop, i think. Unless you can think of a way?

So thank you for making this!

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
    Hi Saxa! As you've discovered the gamma change is a temporary change to the textures, which has the added benefit of being non-destructive. For a more permanent change I would've recommended what you're already doing in PS, making sure of course to duplicate the textures rather than editing the originals. Photoshop does have an invert option, I believe the keyboard shortcut is Ctrl + I (CMD + I on a Mac). You could also save out textures at a lower resolution from PS so the LIE filesize is smaller. I think there may even be LIE setting slider for quality Vs performance, where the latter would probably generate smaller files.
  • Haha yes CTRL+I in photoshop does it! Thank you!

• Just wanted to quickly add.
    It's so cool even though i have one map plugged into both diffuse and translucency, your utility lets me quickly preview gamma differences with different settings for each.
    That's so handy!

You're welcome!
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861
    edited November 2023

Great product.

I just wonder, if you could create something to match some image to the Daz Studio scene,

so it will create a good, consistent composition.

I think matching 2 different images to each other is included with Adobe Photoshop Elements 2024.

Would be very useful to have such possibility in Daz Studio.

Post edited by Artini on
    Hi @Artini, thanks! I'm not familiar with the feature you speak of and not really clear on what you mean by matching two images?

I mean something, like that:

The Color Match tool in Photoshop Elements 2024

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 475
    edited November 2023

I found this thread very helpful so adding a link to product so I can find the thread when viewing the product in the store using Daz Deals (browser extension): https://www.daz3d.com/universal-gamma-adjuster

The extension doesn't read linked text, only URLs, so it didn't show up when you added a link in the click here text.

Thanks for creating this cool product!

Post edited by Shimrian on

@Artini thanks for the clarification - that would need to be a feature of Iray, it's not something we would be able to create a product for unfortunately. The closest setting to that in render settings is white point color picker, but that will just change the tone of the whole image and not match colors of an input image.

@Shimrian thanks for the heads up, when I have time I'll go through and update all my product threads so it's just the url and not link text. I used to be a frontend developer and this is usually considered bad practice, but in this case I understand why it's needed ;)

Thanks for the explanation, Silas3D