DAZ suddenly very slow

Hi all,

I'm very surprised about Daz Studio behaviour this morning.
I was working on a scene, i've duplicate this scene to start a new version (make some adjustments) and this scene is very very slow to work with... For example, when moving an arm (with mouse), it takes 10 seconds to move. Same when using a dial...
What could be wrong ?
Is there something to clear (i'm not using rendern / simulation or animation).
Thanks a lot

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,235

It sounds like too many things are being drawn or you're using Iray as the viewport. 

Not exactly sure what you meant by "Duplicated". If you meant that you actually duplicated the scene withinn itself, well then. There's your answer. But I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant.

Sometimes I get crashes. When that starts to happen I restart my machine and Studio zips along like new again. 

Be mindful of how much is running on your machine while working. Sometimes a hefty Windows Update download can bog up the works. Smoothing Modifiers turn to Interactive Update = On can help slow thing down. Lots of high res figures can too. Some scene kits are really really large. They might be fine on their own, but not so friendly when a bunch of other stuff is added.

I usually work with my main characters all by themselves (but I'm animating) and I might have several background characters in the same scene, even though they might all be high res Genesis 8 or 3... but just like the main characters, I don't have the actual scenery scene open. I just work with the people. Then I do the environment stuff by itself, sometimes some foreground elements, backing elements... I render it all separately and then sandwich them together in post. Works really good and I'm noticing that, since I started working this way it's easier and to me it looks a lot better because I have more control in the end.

Just some notes that I thought might help your workflow.

• cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 435

Just a guess here:

I had a situation where the sub-d settings of a G9 figure switched to 5 instead of my choice of 2. Whenever I opened that scene the viewport sub-d was 5 and everything was slow. I had to manually set it back to 2 to solve this. But even after saving the scene with sub-d = 2, the next time I opened it sub-d was back to 5.

Maybe check in parameters -> Mesh Resolution -> View SubD Level if this happened in your case as well.

• It sounds like too many things are being drawn or you're using Iray as the viewport. 

Not exactly sure what you meant by "Duplicated". If you meant that you actually duplicated the scene withinn itself, well then. There's your answer. But I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant.

Sometimes I get crashes. When that starts to happen I restart my machine and Studio zips along like new again. 

Be mindful of how much is running on your machine while working. Sometimes a hefty Windows Update download can bog up the works. Smoothing Modifiers turn to Interactive Update = On can help slow thing down. Lots of high res figures can too. Some scene kits are really really large. They might be fine on their own, but not so friendly when a bunch of other stuff is added.

I usually work with my main characters all by themselves (but I'm animating) and I might have several background characters in the same scene, even though they might all be high res Genesis 8 or 3... but just like the main characters, I don't have the actual scenery scene open. I just work with the people. Then I do the environment stuff by itself, sometimes some foreground elements, backing elements... I render it all separately and then sandwich them together in post. Works really good and I'm noticing that, since I started working this way it's easier and to me it looks a lot better because I have more control in the end.

Just some notes that I thought might help your workflow.

I'm able to pull that off very rarely. I find it nearly impossible to match lighting and reflections that way.
  • JamesJames Posts: 892

@mike_disc I had similar situation. Even after I delete everything, the movement still terribly slow. Don't know what happened.
    I would suggest just start again from the scratch. Because it probably would save more time than if you persist on working on the scene.