Make clothing more useful, please!

2»

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited November 2015
    L'Adair said:
    ... I'm still more willing to buy items that support both G2f and G3F in one product. If the item is something I'd normally buy, that is.

Here is a perfect example of an item that supports both G2F and G3F that will never end up in my cart.
    sad

I want to support vendors that create for both figures, but I have no work-related use for something like this. And I've spent so much money on content these past 13 months, I can't rationalize buying a fantasy outfit that can't be kitbashed for contemporary uses.

http://www.daz3d.com/tangled-outfit-for-genesis-3-female-s-and-genesis-2-female-s

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • lx_2807502lx_2807502 Posts: 2,996
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:
    ... I'm still more willing to buy items that support both G2f and G3F in one product. If the item is something I'd normally buy, that is.

Here is a perfect example of an item that supports both G2F and G3F that will never end up in my cart.
    sad

I want to support vendors that create for both figures, but I have no work-related use for something like this. And I've spent so much money on content this past 13 months, I can't rationalize buying a fantasy outfit that can't be kitbashed for contemporary uses.

http://www.daz3d.com/tangled-outfit-for-genesis-3-female-s-and-genesis-2-female-s

Ironically I can immediately see uses for that. Not as an outfit, but for people being taken over / monster type scenarios. Still pretty niche though.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    atozed said:

BTW. Check out the Rectifier outfit. Part Sci-Fi female contemporary military outift, part lingerie. Oy Vey!

LOL... But look at the boots! No spiked heels to go along with the part that's lingerie...

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    lx said:

I'm wondering what people think of things like this http://www.daz3d.com/attica-for-genesis-3-female-s

Personally I think it's pretty cool, and generic enough to be used multiple times.

Also while I was browsing around to look at things I can't buy, I found this http://www.daz3d.com/tau-ceti-overseer

And I guess it might not be to everyone's tastes? But to me that is insanely cool. I love the design, it's practical, it's pretty without sticking out like a sore thumb, it has many parts and adjustments as well as hide mods on top of that, and 3 complete textures out of the box. Yes, it's a bit more expensive than other clothing, but to me 100% worth it.

Note: Not trying to advertise any particular items or vendors, simply showing examples of things I came across that I think constitute really useful clothing, as the thread is titled.

You can rely on the quality with Aeon Soul.

The other item has flat heels, which automatically gets my consideration - I couldn't find a use for it; maybe one day.

Wilmap said:

I refuse to make anything that is skimpwear. There is far too much of this sort of thing in the store.  My items have to be either historical or everyday wear, or I won't make them.

I have some use, but even as a guy, I really do like my women dressed most of the time. :) All joking aside, appreciate all the work you put into to what you provide.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Thanks for the thread, and for bringing my attention to the Mischief outfit. I must say I didn't even glance at it in the store until now.

In general, I really agree with the comments about the artful holes in what is supposed to be protective clothing, and don't even get me started on how our female warriors are supposed to get anything done while tripping around in the muck of the wilderness wearing stilleto heels.

But this outfit is really good. The "jacket" is a seperate piece leaving an asymetreical, it is true, but really serviceable and stylish tank top underneath. The tank top has nicely modeled wrinkles, doesn't stick like cling wrap, and I'm picturing it with that long bohemian skirt of Emma and Jordi's, or pick any skirt or pants really. A tank like that can go anywhere, and do anything. Hey, if Sarah Conner can fight Terminators in a full coverage tank top, my girl can run around in the steamy woods fighting trolls in one too.

The pants, I'm with you and I don't get the hole in the side held up with an industrial buckle, except that Rhiannon has used that sort of detail before, and it is a mark of her style. I swapped in a the pants from Dark Storm, and stuck a leather shader on them to blend in with the rest of the outfit. A couple quick collision adjustments for the pants with the boots and thigh band, and problem solved.

The boots, OMG the boots. Flats, really well made, excellent details, FBM adjustment morph, and a removeable throwing dagger? What is not to like? I would (and have) paid more than the asking price of under $6 just for boots by Rhiannon. This set gives me a really great tank top, excellent boots, bracers, thigh band and swords. I snapped it up.

Here is a pic without the jacket.

The asymetric look adds to its believeability imo; it looks well used and worn, so it certainly adds nothing negative. Image looks good too.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

Wilmap's clothes are awesome, and the fabric patterns that come with them are handy elsewhere; I use one of several of the fabric textures as a bump map for nearly all clothes, for the many many cases where other clothing sets lack decent bump.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281
    lx said:

I'm wondering what people think of things like this http://www.daz3d.com/attica-for-genesis-3-female-s

Personally I think it's pretty cool, and generic enough to be used multiple times.

Also while I was browsing around to look at things I can't buy, I found this http://www.daz3d.com/tau-ceti-overseer

And I guess it might not be to everyone's tastes? But to me that is insanely cool. I love the design, it's practical, it's pretty without sticking out like a sore thumb, it has many parts and adjustments as well as hide mods on top of that, and 3 complete textures out of the box. Yes, it's a bit more expensive than other clothing, but to me 100% worth it.

Note: Not trying to advertise any particular items or vendors, simply showing examples of things I came across that I think constitute really useful clothing, as the thread is titled.

The Attica one is a great outfit because it provides a proper underlayer. There are some really nice texture add-ons for it too. OOT has one on Rendo which is quite beautiful, and the two in the store today look very usable.

And the underlayer may fit under some of the more problematic stuff with the stupid holes and provides a base for shaders. (And no spike heels!)

To be honest, I was wondering about the lack of spike heels on the Tangled "outfit"... (grins, ducks and runs)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,726

Thanks for the thread, and for bringing my attention to the Mischief outfit. I must say I didn't even glance at it in the store until now.

In general, I really agree with the comments about the artful holes in what is supposed to be protective clothing, and don't even get me started on how our female warriors are supposed to get anything done while tripping around in the muck of the wilderness wearing stilleto heels.

But this outfit is really good. The "jacket" is a seperate piece leaving an asymetreical, it is true, but really serviceable and stylish tank top underneath. The tank top has nicely modeled wrinkles, doesn't stick like cling wrap, and I'm picturing it with that long bohemian skirt of Emma and Jordi's, or pick any skirt or pants really. A tank like that can go anywhere, and do anything. Hey, if Sarah Conner can fight Terminators in a full coverage tank top, my girl can run around in the steamy woods fighting trolls in one too.

The pants, I'm with you and I don't get the hole in the side held up with an industrial buckle, except that Rhiannon has used that sort of detail before, and it is a mark of her style. I swapped in a the pants from Dark Storm, and stuck a leather shader on them to blend in with the rest of the outfit. A couple quick collision adjustments for the pants with the boots and thigh band, and problem solved.

The boots, OMG the boots. Flats, really well made, excellent details, FBM adjustment morph, and a removeable throwing dagger? What is not to like? I would (and have) paid more than the asking price of under $6 just for boots by Rhiannon. This set gives me a really great tank top, excellent boots, bracers, thigh band and swords. I snapped it up.

Thank you! In a sea of negtivity these days, it's refreshing to read thoughtout and useful posts such as yours.

lx said:

I like the design and it does look good, but I have quite a few armor sets very similar to this from Xurge3D and I have found that I don't use them that often.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

let this quality get to be standard

http://www.daz3d.com/neo-ayane-bundle

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609

It is not only the "holes" it is the fact that a lot of clothings have not the adjustment morphs needed to mix and match them with other clothes. All tops for example should have adjustment morphs for the waist and hips and all pants and skirts also. Better would be hip adjustments like : front, front left, front right, right, left, back, back right, back left and hip wider/narrower. That would be much helpfull for mixing and matching clothes of different sets.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609

Pants should have adjustments for the ankle area so we can mix them with different shoes like boots and sport shoes for example. So adjustment morphs for the feet region would be cool.

• lx said:

That is one of the best female armors I've seen. If I did SF combat scenes, and used G3F, I'd snap it up in an instant.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,506
    edited November 2015
    lx said:

That is one of the best female armors I've seen. If I did SF combat scenes, and used G3F, I'd snap it up in an instant.

This armor fits perfectly onto G2F with the G3F for G2F product. In fact, I bought the G3F for G2F *specifically* for the amazingly good scifi content that has been appearing as of late. I'll migrate to G3F sooner than later, but I need a good set of skins and poses first.

Y'know what the weird thing is? I really wanted to buy the Mischief outfit because it *was* amazingly versatile, but ended up getting the Tangled Outfit despite its skimpiness. I guess it's because I already have a bazillion fantasy outfits but rarely something as evocative/chaotic as the Tangled Outfit. 

Post edited by mtl1 on
  • AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited November 2015

I just saw the Mischief Outfit for G3 Females.

First impression: Whoa, great!

Second impression: Oh no! Another one with "sexy" holes!

Bare midriff side, only one arm covered, one thigh exposed.  Plese, content creators, could you make your clothing stuff more versatile? Just adding an option to this new clothing which would cover up these bare regions would have made it the perfect clothing for my needs. With these gaping holes, it would look ridiculous on my character. Which sane woman would dress with what should be protecting clothes in the wilderness, if theses clothes would leave crucial parts of her body unprotected?

Okay, this "holes included" way it might appeal more to male buyers,  but would it really be so difficult to give us an option with AND without these gaping openings?

I agree 100000000%. I am ready to buy more often than I do. I use these professionally and I need versatility above all. I can't tell you how many purchaes DAZ has lost from me bacuse of a lack of versatility. Again, I'm ready to buy, wallet is open -but I keep having to reluctantly close it.

Post edited by Ademnus on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

I bought it for the boots.  I mean to the extent that I took one look at it, didn't actually notice the partial leg, but noticed the boots, and added it to my cart.

I looked at it again afterwards, saw the hole, the underbutt shots, and shrugged, mumbling, 'Yeah, but...dat boots!' and bought it. smiley  Plus it was $7.18 at the time, which is about my sweet spot for boots.  Oh, and there's a whole outfit that I can kitbash attached to them, as a bonus, along with cool props. wink

--  Morgan

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited November 2015

I picked up the Attica outfit the other day, I think it was one of the Spotlight specials in the PC sale where you get it for 50% off if you buy a new release. 

Somehow I had totally missed seeing it when it was first released otherwise I would have nabbed it then. I absolutely LOVE it. I initially pegged it as a Midnight_Stories outfit till I saw it wasn't him - I love his scifi bodysuits. I haven't used Attica as yet in a render - I'm waiting for Porsimo to do some scifi guns for Genesis 3 female laugh

I do love my skimpy outfits - but I also want a good range of NON skimpy stuff for the girls. That's the problem - non-skimpy sci fi or fantay (rangers, hunters, archers, elves, etc) are far and few between. But there is a plethora of skimpy stuff for those genres. I want to do sexy sci fi girls in barely there armour/clothing...but I also want to do rangers and hunters and archers who actually LOOK like rangers and hunters and archers...I want them to look like they can run around a forest with a great big sword, chopping up goblins and trolls and not show all their skin. 

The Mischief outfit almost had me - I just can't get around the asymetrical look. If the pants had two legs, and the jacket had two arms, that wouldn't been an absolute insta-buy for me. The boots! omg the boots are BRILLIANT. But it's that half-leg thing.....I just can't come at it. It looks....silly. Mischief with two full legs and jacket with two full arms is the sort of fantasy outfit i WANT to buy. 

Then you see something like that "Radioactive Bundle" - the guys outfit is excellent! great pants, kneepads, boots, a fantastic jacket, it's my favourite style. And the female counterpart? Leotard/tiny shorts body suit, exposed stockings and garters, boob tube. :disappointed sigh:  The male is pretty much covered up from neck to toe...the female is flashing her bits everywhere. Really disappointed in that - I would have snapped that up if the female side of the outfit had have been the same as the males. 

It reminded me of when that Yee Haw Bundle came out - http://www.daz3d.com/yee-haw-bundle

Genesis 2 Male got this wicked Old West Cowboy outfit with face bandanna, long coat etc. Genesis 2 Female got two skimpy saloon girl outfits (not ONE skimpy saloon girl and ONE wicked looking Old West Bandit Cowboy outfit....but TWO skimpy bargirl outfits).  I want my Genesis 2 female to wear that bad-ass Old West Cowboy outfit!!! Not be sent to a saloon where she's kept upstairs 'entertaining' the cowboys! I want her to BE the cowboy. :sigh:

lx said:

Post edited by jakiblue on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

I'm REALLY enjoying some of the recent clothing. Wide variety of styles, covering everything from various historic periods, scifi, fantasy... Last two days, picked up the Radioactive bundle, with some nice basic clothing, plus the Salamis, MFD for G2F, cloaks, Grantham suit...

I am a happy duck. QVAK QVAK

Yeah sadly I don't have any money to buy anything for a couple of days, so I hope I don't miss the current sales; the past few days especially have had a really nice range of selections.

One thing I'm kind of curious about: is there any point to the new MFD for G3F? Can't she just wear the G1/2 ones?

The MFD is one of those outfits where it really matters that the dress be fitted to the character. A lot of people use it as a rigging base, too.

Oh right, and with the new rigging it'd be really important, too. Clearly I'm still half asleep, thanks.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,717
    edited November 2015

Rhiannon was one of my favorite vendors back in the V4 days, I'm really glad she has started creating more for Genesis 2 & 3 (I'm a Carrara user, so I still prefer G2 stuff). The quality of her stuff is always very good, and well worth the price. I'm not a big fan of most of the asymetrical cut-out fashions, but obviously they must sell well, or there wouldn't be so many. I'm just glad that the vendors produce the great quality items at such a reasonable price!!

For those interested in the Mischief outfit, but don't want the inbalanced pant legs, Rhiannon has a great outfit at Rendo for G2 that would work perfectly to kit bash with Mischief. The attached Iray render shows the outfit (Soul Hunter) on EJ Valeria so you can see how it works on G3 (be sure to zoom to full resolution to see all the great details). The boots from Mischief would be a perfect stylistic match with the pants from Soul Hunter - with low heels! For anyone interested, more info about the outfit and textures can be found in my rendo gallery post here (using a G2 character).

Valeria Soul Hunter3.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 600K
    Post edited by DustRider on

I've tucked that into my wishlist over at Rendo. I was tempted by it before, but that open front on the shirt was a bit of a deal-breaker. Those are good boots, too. Not so much for trudging through the woods, but for a rider on horseback, sure.

There have been a whole slew of things in the store over the course of this sale which I've passed on because of the mysterious holes or the stupid boot heels. But some of those sets, on closer examination, have bits that could be very good for kit-bashing.

Although you really have to laugh at some of the names people give these sets. Like OOT's 'Hunter Queen'. I don't care if it does come with a bow and quiver. It belongs more in the category of things like AS's Classic Fantasy. It's body jewelery, not clothing.

Actually, as of today OOT released a texture set for it on Rendo which to me looks like you just need to hit G3F with a metalic shader, dress her in it and you would have a marvelous bit of fantasy statuary.