Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.22.1.136! (*UPDATED*)

12345679»

Comments

• nomadraccoonnomadraccoon Posts: 33

anyone else noticing that after changing any parameters while Iray preview is enabled the Iray preview stops rendering until you go back to a different preview method and go back to Iray again?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,238

nomadraccoon said:

anyone else noticing that after changing any parameters while Iray preview is enabled the Iray preview stops rendering until you go back to a different preview method and go back to Iray again?

No, I haven't experienced that.

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 745

nomadraccoon said:

Yes; I think this may be new but I can't be sure.  It seems that changing anything which is not visible (directly) in the viewport does not result in a re-render (i.e. flipping back to 'smooth shaded' then drawing with Iray).  I was messing around eliminating objects not directly visible in the viewport today and I noticed that when I made something "not visible" (i.e. the global "not visible" which disables everything) the viewport did not re-render.  I'm not sure it's a helpful optimization.

In fact I did eliminate an object which was obscuring a light source and I *believe* I didn't get a re-render but I might be wrong; for sure the annoying shadow disappeared in the real Iray render.

jbowler said:

nomadraccoon said:

Yes; I think this may be new but I can't be sure.  It seems that changing anything which is not visible (directly) in the viewport does not result in a re-render (i.e. flipping back to 'smooth shaded' then drawing with Iray).  I was messing around eliminating objects not directly visible in the viewport today and I noticed that when I made something "not visible" (i.e. the global "not visible" which disables everything) the viewport did not re-render.  I'm not sure it's a helpful optimization.

In fact I did eliminate an object which was obscuring a light source and I *believe* I didn't get a re-render but I might be wrong; for sure the annoying shadow disappeared in the real Iray render.

I simply get downgraded to shaded view each time I change a parameter. have to switch to shaded, back to iray and it renders fine. Latest Nvidia drivers, latest public build. For me it's definitely new, never had this issue on previous beta builds.

nomadraccoon said:

I simply get downgraded to shaded view each time I change a parameter. have to switch to shaded, back to iray and it renders fine. Latest Nvidia drivers, latest public build. For me it's definitely new, never had this issue on previous beta builds.

That's the expected behaviour.  It's not "downgraded"; if you look in the viewport view-type dropdown it will still be set to Iray.  That's the initial state before the first iteration has been obtained from Iray but after the geometry has been set up.  Sometimes it can take a long time to get the first iteration sometimes it might never happen if the video card runs out of oomph.  I won't speculate on precisely when the state in the video card is reset and precisely how much, doing so is against the forum rules, however it is worth your while lookinig for errors in the log file and running a separate GPU monitor program.  You may find that some other app has sucked up all the video resources.

The bug I detected is worse than I thought.  Last night I decluttered the same scene some more by removing more "out-of-view" furnishings; the Iray preview did not change but some of the furnishings I removed were visible!  When I rendered the newly !visible furnishings were missing.  When I swapped between outline-box and Iray modes the ghost stuff did disappear.  I rarely use Iray preview for decluttering; it's normally easier in CPU (texture) mode as I can set the ceiling to not show for interior scenes (this doesn't work in an Iray preview).  Consequently this may be old behaviour that I've only just encountered.

DS 4.22.1.123, NV GRTX4090 with Studio 552.22 of 4/16/2024 (the latest Studio)

edited May 2

jbowler said:

nomadraccoon said:

That's the expected behaviour.  It's not "downgraded"; if you look in the viewport view-type dropdown it will still be set to Iray.  That's the initial state before the first iteration has been obtained from Iray but after the geometry has been set up.  Sometimes it can take a long time to get the first iteration sometimes it might never happen if the video card runs out of oomph.  I won't speculate on precisely when the state in the video card is reset and precisely how much, doing so is against the forum rules, however it is worth your while lookinig for errors in the log file and running a separate GPU monitor program.  You may find that some other app has sucked up all the video resources.

The bug I detected is worse than I thought.  Last night I decluttered the same scene some more by removing more "out-of-view" furnishings; the Iray preview did not change but some of the furnishings I removed were visible!  When I rendered the newly !visible furnishings were missing.  When I swapped between outline-box and Iray modes the ghost stuff did disappear.  I rarely use Iray preview for decluttering; it's normally easier in CPU (texture) mode as I can set the ceiling to not show for interior scenes (this doesn't work in an Iray preview).  Consequently this may be old behaviour that I've only just encountered.

DS 4.22.1.123, NV GRTX4090 with Studio 552.22 of 4/16/2024 (the latest Studio)

You didn't get what I meant. It renders. You change a morph parameter during Iray preview, it no longer updates renders. EVER. You can wait 1 hour, it won't update. If you switch back to shaded/texture and back to Iray, it renders back in under 1 second. I also have a 4090, if that makes you feel any better.

Edit: Instead of updating renders, you simply revert to shaded preview, and if you move the camera around it updates Iray for a few miliseconds then reverts back to shaded. Only way out is to manually move to texture/shaded and back to iray

Post edited by nomadraccoon on
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,374
    edited May 3

I tried opening a ticket about this in January 2023, but it has never received any response or reply, despite my following up on it every few months.

After being loaded into a scene and rendered in Iray, some shaders reproducably experience noticably different results based on which frame of the timeline Daz Studio is rendering. These shaders only appear to work correctly if loaded as part of the initial scene load. Put differently, load a scene with Jada 8.1 in it, and it's fine. But add Jada 8.1 into a scene, and this bug occurs until the scene is saved and reloaded.

This is an extremely tedious problem, as my standard practice is to build my scenes on Frame 30 (as this gives me space on the timeline if I need to later set up a dForce timeline, without any hassle with moving around frames), and the workaround can take several minutes to save and reload a scene before I can correctly render or preview it.

So far, the shaders I have noticed this most prominently with are PBRSkin (most obvious on dark skins) and UltraScenery's custom shader, but they're affected so differently that I do wonder whether it's a universal problem that instead affects less commonly used or less noticeable parameters on other shaders.

On PBRSkin, Jada 8.1's skin for example gets - for lack of a better word - "Flatter" as the timeline progresses:

Frame 0:

Frame 15:

Frame 30:

UltraScenery's custom "UltraScenery Terrain (MDL)" shader instead experiences problems with its tiling:

My ticket for this was originally on DS 4.21.0.5 (although I'm certain I noticed it earlier), but I can report that it is still completely replicable for me in the latest Beta, and I've since confirmed that other people are witnessing the exact same on their systems (note that if you're checking it in Iray Preview, you may need to come out of Iray Preview and back in to see the change happen), so I'm posting it here in the hope that someone finally spots the report and moves it up the stack for fixing.

Jada_Frame0.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 283K
    Jada_Frame15.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 281K
    Jada_Frame30.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 260K
    US_Frame0.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 527K
    US_Frame15.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 479K
    US_Frame30.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 508K
    Post edited by Matt_Castle on

I've not been able to reproduce my issue on a basic project, however I can't seem to figure out what the issue could be. Could it be related to Squishy Humans product? My scene is empty besides one character with Squishy armatures.

The UltraScenery tiling problem on frames other than 0 is something I have seen, too. I posted about it a long time ago, but I can't find that message now. I think HowieFarkes said he didn't know what caused that to happen. He uses custom terrain shaders, so I don't know if that has any impact or not.
    Customer support for technical problems is no longer very useful. I've experienced delays of many months with absolutely no response at all, just like you have. Richard Haseltine has posted that adding comments to the help request can further delay it my pushing it back to the end of the queue. So, you might be better off just leaving the help request as it is. I've also had the repeated  issue of some of my help requests being closed and marked "Solved", without any resolution to the problem at all, just because they get old. It infuriates me that Daz can calls this customer support.

edited May 3

Some observations about the UltraScenery tiling problem:

• Not all UltraScenery features have the timeline tiling problem. The Walking Trail 1 and Walking Trail 2 features in Landscape Features Volume 2 definitely have the problem. But not all features in Landscape Features Volume 2 have that problem.
    • The tiling problem does not appear in the Texture Shaded preview. It appears when rendered (Iray is what i render with.)
    • The tiling problem seems to occur during the UltraScenery Build process.. Just moving to another frame after building the UltraScenery in frame 0, does not cause the tiling for me.
    • I seems like only the terrain feature is tiled. The ecology instances are not tiled. The terrain shape is not tiled. (I used a custom arrow shaped height map in the attached images. It was not tiled.)
    • This problem is not new in the 4.22.1.123 Public Build. It is most likely an UltraScenery problem and not a DS problem. I now believe this is a DS problem, after more thoroughly understanding Matt_Castle's bug report, and how it is not just UltraScenery that demonstrates the problem with shaders in timeline frames other than 0.
    DS 4.22.1.123 UltraScenery Walking Trail 1 Built in Timeline Frame 0.jpg
    1753 x 1733 - 1M
    DS 4.22.1.123 UltraScenery Walking Trail 1 Built in Timeline Frame 1.jpg
    1664 x 1716 - 909K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • I have also opened a ticket regarding the timeline texture issue when i had it happen to me, i haven't had a response.

edited May 4

@Matt_Castle I can reproduce your problem with the PBRSkin shader in the timeline on frames other than frame 0. These attached renders are what I see: I think the reason we see the shader rendered correctly after saving and reopening the scene, is that the character added in a later frame, now appears to have been moved to frame 0. See the screenshots I attached. It would be nice the get an explanation of what is going on and whether this is considered a bug by the Daz developer team.

Jada 8.1 added in frame 0 and rendered (looks correct)

Jada 8.1 added 9 in frame 2 and rendered ( looks wrong, no specularity/gloss)

Timeline when Jada 8.1 was added in frame 2. Her keyframe appears in frame 2.

When the scene is saved and reloaded, Jada 8.1's keyframe appears in frame 0.

Jada 8.1 added to scene in frame 0.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 294K
    Jada 8.1 added to scene in frame 2 - Render Queue 3.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 291K
    Jada 8.1 added to scene in frame 2.jpg
    662 x 460 - 29K
    Scene reloaded - Jada 8.1 moved to frame 0.jpg
    671 x 466 - 27K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,374

Matt_Castle said:

I tried opening a ticket about this in January 2023, but it has never received any response or reply, despite my following up on it every few months.

After being loaded into a scene and rendered in Iray, some shaders reproducably experience noticably different results based on which frame of the timeline Daz Studio is rendering. These shaders only appear to work correctly if loaded as part of the initial scene load. Put differently, load a scene with Jada 8.1 in it, and it's fine. But add Jada 8.1 into a scene, and this bug occurs until the scene is saved and reloaded.

This is an extremely tedious problem, as my standard practice is to build my scenes on Frame 30 (as this gives me space on the timeline if I need to later set up a dForce timeline, without any hassle with moving around frames), and the workaround can take several minutes to save and reload a scene before I can correctly render or preview it.

So far, the shaders I have noticed this most prominently with are PBRSkin (most obvious on dark skins) and UltraScenery's custom shader, but they're affected so differently that I do wonder whether it's a universal problem that instead affects less commonly used or less noticeable parameters on other shaders.

On PBRSkin, Jada 8.1's skin for example gets - for lack of a better word - "Flatter" as the timeline progresses:

Frame 0:

Frame 15:

Frame 30:

UltraScenery's custom "UltraScenery Terrain (MDL)" shader instead experiences problems with its tiling:

My ticket for this was originally on DS 4.21.0.5 (although I'm certain I noticed it earlier), but I can report that it is still completely replicable for me in the latest Beta, and I've since confirmed that other people are witnessing the exact same on their systems (note that if you're checking it in Iray Preview, you may need to come out of Iray Preview and back in to see the change happen), so I'm posting it here in the hope that someone finally spots the report and moves it up the stack for fixing.

Do you have any tools that can animate materials via nodes active, e.g. https://www.daz3d.com/pbr-skin-plus or https://www.daz3d.com/1-click-pbrskin ? In order for surface/material properties to animate they needto be linked to a node property

Butting in here, I have https://www.daz3d.com/1-click-pbrskin installed. I don't understand whether you (Richard) are saying that having something like that installed is a necessary thing or a problematic thing.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,374

barbult said:

@Matt_Castle I can reproduce your problem with the PBRSkin shader in the timeline on frames other than frame 0. These attached renders are what I see: I think the reason we see the shader rendered correctly after saving and reopening the scene, is that the character added in a later frame, now appears to have been moved to frame 0.

Okay, that's interesting.

Testing it, if I load Jada while the playhead is on Frame 0, the bug does not occur. If I load her while on Frame 30, the bug does occur. So I can actually end up with a bugged and a non-bugged version simultaneously in the same scene depending on what frame I was on when I loaded the figure. However, further experimentation with dragging either figure's keyframes around has no effect to either fix or cause the issue.

That's at least a slightly less ugly workaround (go to frame zero to load the models), but I still want to be able to effectively work on Frame 30 (and have that set in my default scene) so that I have the space available to do dForce timeline simulations. (DS is extremely sluggish about moving around keyframes - the tests I did above with moving the keyframes took a few minutes of the program locking out each time).

Richard Haseltine said:

Do you have any tools that can animate materials via nodes active, e.g. https://www.daz3d.com/pbr-skin-plus or https://www.daz3d.com/1-click-pbrskin ? In order for surface/material properties to animate they needto be linked to a node property

Not as far as I am aware.

Certainly, neither of those products was available at the time I rendered these examples. (I have reused renders from my original bug report in Jan 2023, but I have confirmed I am still experiencing the bug in both the main release and public beta releases).

1) I don't understand how the subdivision is supposed to work when it is selected in the Create New Primitive dialog. If I create a 1 M cube with 1 division and select Catmark subdivision, the cube is created with subdivision, but behaves completely different than if I create the cube without subdivision and apply subdivision later. When  cubes' mesh resolution parameters are set to identical values in the Parameters pane, the shape of the cubes are entirely different.

2) Why are the subdivision choices in the Create New Primitive dialog different than the choices in the Parameters pane? In the dialog, Catmull-Clark (Legacy) is missing.

Cube Primitive 4.22.1.136 subdivision selected in create dialog.jpg
    2077 x 1661 - 210K
    Cube Primitive 4.22.1.136 subdivision added after creating cube.jpg
    2027 x 1554 - 211K
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,990

barbult said:

1) I don't understand how the subdivision is supposed to work when it is selected in the Create New Primitive dialog. If I create a 1 M cube with 1 division and select Catmark subdivision, the cube is created with subdivision, but behaves completely different than if I create the cube without subdivision and apply subdivision later. When  cubes' mesh resolution parameters are set to identical values in the Parameters pane, the shape of the cubes are entirely different.

2) Why are the subdivision choices in the Create New Primitive dialog different than the choices in the Parameters pane? In the dialog, Catmull-Clark (Legacy) is missing.

1. According to the Change Log:
      When creating a primitive that has an edge (i.e., Cube, Cylinder, Cone, Plane), choosing a “Subdivision” value other than “None” now also results in subdivision edge weights and interpolation/smoothing settings being set
    2. "Catmull-Clark (Legacy)" only still exists as an option in support of content released prior to the integration of OpenSubdiv that used it... "Catmark" is its replacement
    edited May 4

barbult said:

When creating a primitive that has an edge (i.e., Cube, Cylinder, Cone, Plane), choosing a “Subdivision” value other than “None” now also results in subdivision edge weights and interpolation/smoothing settings being set
    2. "Catmull-Clark (Legacy)" only still exists as an option in support of content released prior to the integration of OpenSubdiv that used it... "Catmark" is its replacement
    I read the change log. That's how I learned about the new feature in the create new primitive command. It doesn't explain to me why the two cubes I posted look different. Can you clarify why that happens? Their parameters are the same. Are there hidden parameter differences? I probably just don't understand the details of what is said in the change log and what the intent of the change is.
    Post edited by barbult on

barbult said:

DoctorJellybean said:

barbult said:

I read the change log. That's how I learned about the new feature in the create new primitive command. It doesn't explain to me why the two cubes I posted look different. Can you clarify why that happens? Their parameters are the same. Are there hidden parameter differences? I probably just don't understand the details of what is said in the change log and what the intent of the change is.

The edge weighting is intended to keep the edges somewhat sharp, you can use the Geometry Editor to select edges on the cube created without SubD and increase the Subdivision Weight to get the same result (or remove weight from the cube created with SubD to get the soft edges).

Richard Haseltine said:

barbult said:

DoctorJellybean said:

barbult said:

The edge weighting is intended to keep the edges somewhat sharp, you can use the Geometry Editor to select edges on the cube created without SubD and increase the Subdivision Weight to get the same result (or remove weight from the cube created with SubD to get the soft edges).

Thank you. Richard. That is something I knew nothing about (subdivision edge weight). Your explanation was perfect. I can now understand what the change log was saying, and why the two cubes look different with no difference in the Parameters pane settings for Mesh Resolution.

So, I made this strange thing from the new primitive cube with subD and modified edge weights and per side surfaces.

Strange thing from a cube_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1018K
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,791

I couldn't install the latest beta via DIM.  It uninstalled the previous version, but it shows as -1 Bytes in the installed file list in DIM, and on restarting DIM it shows as not installed.  Repeating the installation, and redownloading the file gave the same result.  I ended up renaming the 'c:/program files/DAZStudio4 Public Build' directory and it did install.

WandW said:

I couldn't install the latest beta via DIM.  It uninstalled the previous version, but it shows as -1 Bytes in the installed file list in DIM, and on restarting DIM it shows as not installed.  Repeating the installation, and redownloading the file gave the same result.  I ended up renaming the 'c:/program files/DAZStudio4 Public Build' directory and it did install.

I have seen others with similar issues. The inability to install without manually deleting the folder does suggest permission issues, or security software being hyper-sensitive.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,791

Richard Haseltine said:

WandW said:

I have seen others with similar issues. The inability to install without manually deleting the folder does suggest permission issues, or security software being hyper-sensitive.

I hadn't ever changed anything in that folder, and I'm not using any third-party security software on that machine; just Windows Defender. 

I had also updated the release version of Studio, and DIM uninstalled it but did not reinstall.   I "uninstalled" it and reinstalled it via DIM and it did sucessfully install...

.136 does fix the failure to render in Iray preview when objects are removed from the scene (by setting the 'visibility' parameter).  Unfortunately this is fairly obvious because now when an object (in view or out-of-view) is removed the preview redraws three or four times.

The other reported problem, failure of the Iray part of the render so that the preview is left with just the smooth shaded portion, probably isn't changed; in my case it is certainly associated with a SEGV on OOM inside NVidia's code and is permanent until the Studio instance in which it occurs is shut down in a controlled fashion.  The most obvious symptom I see beyond the log and the failure to do the Iray part of the render is that a large amount of memory remains allocated in the GPU.  This memory is only released right at the end of the DS shutdown, but it is released (just) before the process actually exits.