(SOLVED) Hair Textures and Transparencies not loading / appearing properly

tnkr95tnkr95 Posts: 25

Apologies if this has been addressed already, but I am discovering issues with several different hair models in the newest general release (DAZ 4.22.0.15 Pro).  

What happens is that some models will load, but using a materials setting will result in an error message

from the log:  

2024-02-14 14:37:54.523 [INFO] :: Begin asset load (merge): /People/Genesis 8 Female/Hair/PhilW/Shaggy Hair/SY2 Gradient Colors/SHG01 Black to Red.duf

2024-02-14 14:37:54.537 [INFO] :: Determining missing assets...

2024-02-14 14:37:54.586 [WARNING] :: Invalid hierarchy for selected node(s) and "preset_hierarchical_material" type; no root(s) found.

2024-02-14 14:37:54.586 [WARNING] :: Error loading asset: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/people/genesis 8 female/hair/philw/shaggy hair/sy2 gradient colors/shg01 black to red.duf

Operation failed

The hair will either not change color, or when the materials are applied, the tranparencies seem to be applied incorrectly, resulting in hair that is mostly transparent.  I seem to find this on models that have a skull cap and a separate hair piece attached.  This is not happening with OOT hair models, and it does not cause a crash.  However, it makes several previously purchased hair models unusable (at least to me).  Is this an issue anyone else is having, and is it related to the rendering bugs that the latest build seemed to introduce?  

I can post screenshots if that would help explain the issue.  I have also done the uninstall / reinstall with hair models and the application.

If these are hair models made before the newest release, my concern is that they are still available for sale and won't work properly; again, assuming this is a problem that others have and isnt just my own setup.

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by tnkr95 on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

Try selecting the genesis figure rather than the hair itself before applying the material preset... 'cause they seem to be Hierarchical material presets...

• tnkr95tnkr95 Posts: 25

Thanks!  That would not have ocurred to me.  I went back and tried some of the models I was having trouble with and selected the character rather than the hair, and the textures seem to be applied.  

Part of what was confusing me was using the Iray option in the drawstyle options for the viewport (I use that as a preview).  I tried an actual render, and the hair appears normal.  Didn't occur to me that the Iray drawstyle in the viewport would show something different than in a render.  So the transparent or totally black hair shown in a preview actually renders properly when a full blown 'render' is activated.  And various hair models require selecting the figure rather than the hair. 

Got it now, I think.

Thanks for your help!

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

No problem ! yes