NoPokethrough plugin alpha version available for testing

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Great idea - I will look forward to giving it a try!

• Hopefully, I've solved the C8.1 compatibility issue. At least, I could reproduce the error and I've corrected that.

I also added a Win32 version for those unfortunate who don't have the pro version.

Link

• Good idea for a plugin.

I already tested it with sphere and the plane and results are not good, maybe I'm doing something wrong ... sad

Could you post a screen copy of the settings and the result or, better, PM the .car file ?

• DUDU said:

Thank you for this work, Phil !
    I read somewhere that it doesn't work with C8.1, is there so much difference with C8.5 ?
    I hope that you will be able to quickly solve this problem because I can waite to test this interesting plugin, especially for animation.

Thanks to you and all the developpers, you keep Carrara alive !

Hi Dudu,

Here you are, Y'a plus qu'à wink

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Philemo said:

Hopefully, I've solved the C8.1 compatibility issue. At least, I could reproduce the error and I've corrected that.

I also added a Win32 version for those unfortunate who don't have the pro version.

Link

thanks for that Philemo, I am sorry though, still getting the error when click 'create'

• head wax said:
    Philemo said:

Hopefully, I've solved the C8.1 compatibility issue. At least, I could reproduce the error and I've corrected that.

Link

thanks for that Philemo, I am sorry though, still getting the error when click 'create'

I tested it on the demo version of C8.1. It must be something else. Could you send me the scene file ?
  • Philemo said:
    head wax said:
    Philemo said:

Link

I tested it on the demo version of C8.1. It must be something else. Could you send me the scene file ?

One more question because I'm not so sure about this Google drive thing. When you opened the zip file, did you see the two directories for 32 and 64 bits ?
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Yep yes

thanks for doing that Philemo -  will send file when back in the 'office'

the latest test file was just  a vertex sphere  and a vertex plane.

cheers :)

ps as Stezza says , yes the file unzips into 32 and 64 bit folders , thank you

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 2015
    head wax said:

I don't understand. When I use your car file with Carrara 8.1, the morph is correctly created (see screen copies)

Could you try reinstalling the newest version ?

CarraraVersion.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 281K
    MorphCreated.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 246K
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on

Thanks for checking Philemo, i have done the install twice , just to make sure but will redo in the morn, pleasure. Don't know if it's relevant, but i see you are using. 32 bit version, where I am using 64 bits. 

Will try again in about eight hours, thanks again ! 

edited December 2015
    head wax said:

Thanks for checking Philemo, i have done the install twice , just to make sure but will redo in the morn, pleasure. Don't know if it's relevant, but i see you are using. 32 bit version, where I am using 64 bits. 

Thank you again for your efforts.

I have C8.5 in 64 bits. As I don't own a C8.1 version, I've downloaded the trial version from CNET and only a 32 bits version is available...

I will try to build something with optionnal logging, so I can pinpoint where it's failing exactly on your system.

edited December 2015
    head wax said:

Don't bother.

When adding logging code, I have now the bug on a regular basis. I think it's because the bug is time related and the logging slowed the process down. I'm afraid my computer is too fast (never thought I would say that sad).

I'll come up with a new version, hopefully tomorrow, if I can pinpoint the exact origin.

Thanks Philemo, never new that bugs could be time related! Thanks for all your work !

• head wax said:

Thanks Philemo, never new that bugs could be time related! Thanks for all your work !

Well, it's time related in a way. I did a mistake, memorizing something I shouldn't have. The point is that, if you go fast enough, you might get away with it and the mistake go unnoticed.

I'll redo a pass on the code to see whether I did the same in another place

• Philemo said:

Well, it's time related in a way. I did a mistake, memorizing something I shouldn't have. The point is that, if you go fast enough, you might get away with it and the mistake go unnoticed.

This should be corrected, as far as I can test. new version is here

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Thanks Philemo!

Can't wait to try this out! I have all sorts of ideas for it.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Thank you Phil!
    I''ll try it this week-end but, do you have a procedure (exemples) to use this plugin ?

Philemo said:
    Philemo said:

thanks again Philemo, but still same results I am sorry :(  Maybe wait til;l someone else tests to see what they come up with?  I'll tri it again this afternoon. cheers

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219

I tried it earlier today.....using Carrara 8.1 Pro, Windows 32bit.

When I hit the create button I got a message that an "error has occoured".

The delete,update and morph values were grayed out.

I had a grid that was the target & tried moving a sphere into the grid.

It sorta worked, but had big jaggies sticking up around the sphere-grid intersection....

Whe making the distance from body greater, it made the jaggies worse.

• head wax said:
    Philemo said:
    Philemo said:

thanks again Philemo, but still same results I am sorry :(  Maybe wait til;l someone else tests to see what they come up with?  I'll tri it again this afternoon. cheers

I think we can't go on like that. I have to understand why it's working on some computers and not on others. I will try to find a computer where it doesn't work and test extensively before releasing a new version.

• McGuiver said:

I had a grid that was the target & tried moving a sphere into the grid.

It sorta worked, but had big jaggies sticking up around the sphere-grid intersection....

Whe making the distance from body greater, it made the jaggies worse.

Yes, the algorithm is designed to correct small pokethrough. That's where the morph thing become handy. You move the sphere a little bit, create the morph, move it a bit more, update the morph and so on. With that process, you can have the sphere going entirely through the grid without jaggies.

I'm working on a demo where a circle is morphed to make an animation of a soap bubble being made.

But my first priority is to find why this morph thing is crashing of most computers (except mine and Wendy's..)

Philemo said:
    head wax said:
    Philemo said:
    Philemo said:

I think we can't go on like that. I have to understand why it's working on some computers and not on others. I will try to find a computer where it doesn't work and test extensively before releasing a new version.

Thanks Philemo!

• Wish I could test more too but our heatwave has stopped me even doing much wanted renders this week sadly, today will be 44°C again and my aircon died, the PC just gets too hot so stays off, I am on iPad by a fan. 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

I feel for you Wendy :-(

Have tried Headwax's file in C8 & C8.5 both 64bit

no crashes or error messages but do get slightly different results... I also changed the global measurement in preferences from metric to US and got different results again.. dunno if that affects it in any way..

I can't wait to try this plugin - see if it works on either of my machines. Holidays just have me too swamped running around to do anything except to occassionally visit the forum and/or (in the Carrara world) set up more animation renders and walk away. The whole idea is very exciting though.

I don't see any time open until after the new year - but if I can squeeze some in... I will.

• Wish I could test more too but our heatwave has stopped me even doing much wanted renders this week sadly, today will be 44°C again and my aircon died, the PC just gets too hot so stays off, I am on iPad by a fan. 

Wow! That's 111˚F for us US folks. If it's any consolation, it is currently 14˚F (-10˚C) in my neck of the woods.

Wish I could test more too but our heatwave has stopped me even doing much wanted renders this week sadly, today will be 44°C again and my aircon died, the PC just gets too hot so stays off, I am on iPad by a fan. 

Wow! That's 111˚F for us US folks. If it's any consolation, it is currently 14˚F (-10˚C) in my neck of the woods.

Same here. Okay... time to get ready to go watch Star Wars! :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Wish I could test more too but our heatwave has stopped me even doing much wanted renders this week sadly, today will be 44°C again and my aircon died, the PC just gets too hot so stays off, I am on iPad by a fan. 

It's 14˚C here (that's PLUS 14!) They're saying it's the mildest December evs - I think I've only had the heating on once since October! I get grouchy if it goes much over 30, so goodness knows how/if I'd cope with 44!

Last time we had -10 was probably 7-8 years ago, and then only for a day or three.