*SOLVED* problem categorizing in content library

mdingmding Posts: 1,142

Recently my computer broke, but as the hdd with my DAZ stuff on it still was functioning, i continued to use it in the new one. Of course the files aren't smart content any longer, but i can use them in studio with the content library. 

My problem: i can't categorize them - i mean i can rightclick and categorize them as always, and if i check, the categorization is saved. But when i choose the category i saved them to, they have not been added. The categories are new ones i created, but smart content appears there without any problems.

Could you help me please? I don't undersfand why i can't find them in my category.

Post edited by mding on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

Odd... but first of all, Edit Metadata on the Product with which the item you categorized, see the assigned Category is really there or not, on Asset tab. And remember to Refresh "All Products" in Smart Content as well.

• mdingmding Posts: 1,142
    edited March 2

Many thanks for answering, @crosswind!

This is how I checked if it is categorized, I think that is what you meant (click to enlarge):

EDIT: Could it be that only smart content can be categorized?

p1.jpg
    1078 x 963 - 237K
    Post edited by mding on
    edited March 2

Yeah, it seems OK... but for such a custom category - "My Categories", can you also see it (as well as its sub-categories...) in Content Library - Categories (at the bottom...) ?  and this product ?  like the example I attached...

Also try refreshing Categories...

SNAG-2024-3-2-0000.png
    496 x 1302 - 322K
    SNAG-2024-3-2-0001.png
    496 x 1302 - 38K
    Post edited by crosswind on

@crosswind: i tried refreshing, but to no avail. 

I just checked the other "normal" categories, and they also don't show the assets. It seems to me that only smart content can be categorized, that would be a pitty, although i have a tool to make my asset files smart.

Thanks again!

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,756

@mding, I have had to resort to 'uninstalling' and 'reinstalling' some products through DIM, without deleting it in the Products, before the fixed missing or erroneous metadata for Smart Content shows up. But it doesn't always work. There are a few items that no matter how many things I try remain stuck only in Content Library. And the ones that keep the bad categories, along with the new/corrected data. Especially on my MacBook Pro M1 that crashed when I was adding sub-categories.

As per my exp., product(s) and file(s) can be always categorized no matter from Smart Content or Content Library... Suggest you retry it with just creating two simple Categories, under Default... e.g. Default - My Favorite Poses - G2F, then assign it to a file or a product...

SNAG-2024-3-2-0005.png
    1743 x 1367 - 468K

@crosswind:

I tried what you suggested, but unfortunately they don't show no matter where. I think I will delete the old library and reinstall everything. But i am glad to hear from you that normally, at least, every file no matter if smart or not, can be categorized.

@memcneil70:

That sounds as if the database has still not been fully developed. That is very sad for us users. I just recently bought a new tutorial about categorizing everything and it seemed to be so easy, this really is a bit disappointing.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,064

mding said:

@crosswind:

I tried what you suggested, but unfortunately they don't show no matter where. I think I will delete the old library and reinstall everything. But i am glad to hear from you that normally, at least, every file no matter if smart or not, can be categorized.

@memcneil70:

That sounds as if the database has still not been fully developed. That is very sad for us users. I just recently bought a new tutorial about categorizing everything and it seemed to be so easy, this really is a bit disappointing.

PostgreSQL is a standard, well-developed database engine. That said, it is a complex piece of software handling complex data so it can get broken - and of course it can be fed bad data.

mding said:

@crosswind:

@memcneil70:

I wonder how you recreated your Smart Content in cms database with your new PC... by re-importing metadata or re-installating the products?

I didn't recreate the smart content. I just continued to use it via the content library, like 3rd party content. Now I reinstalled DAZ and still can't access the files via categories, so i will download all again and use "content wizard" and "smart collections" if neccessary.

Thankyou @Richard Haseltine and @crosswind!

edited March 3

mding said:

I didn't recreate the smart content. I just continued to use it via the content library, like 3rd party content. Now I reinstalled DAZ and still can't access the files via categories, so i will download all again and use "content wizard" and "smart collections" if neccessary.

Thankyou @Richard Haseltine and @crosswind!

Oh, no..... Before categorizing, you have to have the metadata of that product first of all, e.g. install the product via DIM or Content Wizard...otherwise the categorized product will not separately show in Smart Content... Instead, it's in the "product" - LOCAL USER.

You may go to Content Library - Products - L - LOCAL USER... the categorized item(s) must be there.

PS: If you still have the cms database (e.g. ContentCluster folder, and not damaged of course...) on your old PC, you can copy the folder to your new PC...accordingly.

Post edited by crosswind on

@crosswind:

Thank you very much for those informations, esp. the cms database folder may help me in the future!

For now, in the meantime I have redownloaded files via DIM and they can be categorized now without problem. Then I reinstalled some assetts from the other store, and they also can be categorized and viewed without problem! 

So the only problem seems to have been the old DAZ Files which lost their smart status, when I reinstalled DAZ Studio new via DIM. They seem to have been tied to the old Studio version, as you indicated. That caused all the problems. I would have thought that by signing in inside daz studio, those old files would have been accepted again.

Well, next time, thanks to you I know I need to copy the cms folder first - thanks again!

That's great ! You're welcome ! blush