Proper way to do general weight map?

HM is probably the best daz's artist and his outfits are so clean and bend with the figure perfectly. My question is how did he do it? I tried to imitate him but even after messing around with the smoothing brush for hours, the mesh still looks nowhere as clean as HM's, as you can see in the picture below. Any advice guys?

Comments

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

After weightmapping, where everything is smoothed as best as you can for that joint, next we make JCMs or CBSs....
    You go into blender or zbrush and create and morph for the bend.
    There are lots of lovely tutorials on rigging (youtube) and you are starting off great.  Take it to the next level and make the movement morphs for your outfit.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,777
    edited March 8

Firstly, you should've smoothed the Weight Map on Left Thigh Bend rather than Pelvis.... I don't know what modeling / sculpting software you use... but you don't have to tweak weight map in that way which is too cumbersome.

As a routine Blender user, I'd like to share my workflow with a pretty quick and good fix for such a case.  It took less than 10 minutes to complete rigging and fixing pJCMs on both Left / Right Thigh with Side-Side. If you have interest, pls just let me know.

SNAG-2024-3-8-0047.png
    2560 x 1400 - 1M
    SNAG-2024-3-8-0057.png
    2560 x 1400 - 1M
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • icemage1993icemage1993 Posts: 68

Lyoness said:

After weightmapping, where everything is smoothed as best as you can for that joint, next we make JCMs or CBSs....
    You go into blender or zbrush and create and morph for the bend.
    There are lots of lovely tutorials on rigging (youtube) and you are starting off great.  Take it to the next level and make the movement morphs for your outfit.

crosswind said:

Firstly, you should've smoothed the Weight Map on Left Thigh Bend rather than Pelvis.... I don't know what modeling / sculpting software you use... but you don't have to tweak weight map in that way which is too cumbersome.

As a routine Blender user, I'd like to share my workflow with a pretty quick and good fix for such a case.  It took less than 10 minutes to complete rigging and fixing pJCMs on both Left / Right Thigh with Side-Side. If you have interest, pls just let me know.

Thanks for the answer guys, I didnt use any external softwares, I just exported the mesh and imported it back to daz. Iam not an avid users who could make JCMs likes you guys, I was just wondering why is HM mesh looks so good even without JCM? His meshes are so clean even with just basic weight-mapping? Its driving me crazy, I just want to know!

Though I do believe that HM fixed pJCMs in external application, I just show a quick demo of making the fix + clean mesh only in DS. Well, I still had to use Mesh Grabber to avoid cumbersome steps...

You can check this video - https://mega.nz/file/6KokkBJb#pcDVkUgJi3IGSTa_FSWQiTZJp8zoV3aqwnnSN6fA030

Actually there're quite a few technique and tricks in DS, however, pls believe me that if we go for using a combo of DS + external application, we can even get much better results.

crosswind said:

Though I do believe that HM fixed pJCMs in external application, I just show a quick demo of making the fix + clean mesh only in DS. Well, I still had to use Mesh Grabber to avoid cumbersome steps...

You can check this video - https://mega.nz/file/6KokkBJb#pcDVkUgJi3IGSTa_FSWQiTZJp8zoV3aqwnnSN6fA030

Actually there're quite a few technique and tricks in DS, however, pls believe me that if we go for using a combo of DS + external application, we can even get much better results.

thank you crosswind, that was very interesting. The mirror thing was really smart. And what does "Attenuate By" do? I saw you use that option. 

icemage1993 said:

crosswind said:

thank you crosswind, that was very interesting. The mirror thing was really smart. And what does "Attenuate By" do? I saw you use that option. 

Yea, with that Attenuate option, you can choose a Weight Map on a bone or a dFormer, a Face Group, a Surface or a Selection Set first, then OBJ file will only update the mesh of what you choose. Like this Skirt , OBJ file just updated the Surface - "Skirt_A".

SNAG-2024-3-9-0002.png
    2560 x 1400 - 360K

Oh I see. I still  have much to learn with Daz. 

I guess we could close this thread for now.