Seriously, a warning about zero vs restore?(a rant)

So, after being on 4.21.0.5 till this week, i decided to update to the latest version.

I'm seriously regretting this decision and i've only done three scenes so far.

First thing i encounter when i get done with my first scene in it, that obnoxious ad popup. 

Annoying, but easily avoided. Just create a custom action and set ctrl+n to load my default scene instead. Easy peasy.

Then i'm just toddling along, need to zero a character's pose, hit the custom short cut i've been using for the last 12+years(ctrl+0) and i get this pop-up, "Zero is often chosen when restore is the true intent".

Even as a former IT geek that's dealt with some mind boggling PBCAK, i can't wrap my head around why this even exists.

Restore is effectively useless, unless you're also using the memorize function. It also, as the included description states, resets values to 'default'/memorized, even if the default isn't 0.

That's the one that needs the warning, imho.

Thankfully i have a few 'zero' scripts that will allow me to avoid this [unwelcome warning].

I haven't gone full test mode, so, anything else i should be looking to find a way to work around?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

It exists because, with Genesis 9, the behavior of Restore and Zero has changed. Zero now also deactivates the joint corrective morphs. Restore now functions the way that Zero used to do.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,236

Default values exist for a reason.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846

The functions of zero and restore haven't changed.

Zero resets everything, problem is that there is a lot of things in a figure you don't want zeroed.

Restore returns the figure back to the condition it was in when it was loaded into the scene.

G9 has a lot of joint controls that you REALLY don't want zeroed, a lot of the early complaints about the G9 rigging were down to people zeroing the figure and breaking the rigging.

But it's not just G9 you don't want to zero, every figure we have going all the way back to V1 & M1 have settings you don't want to zero, the problem is that most are oblivious to this fact, so a warning has (finally) been added.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,933

This has been amply dicussed in the daz SDtudio release threads at the top of this forum.

This discussion has been closed.