Where to plug in top coat bump map in PBR shader?

icemage1993icemage1993 Posts: 68
edited March 9 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello guys, I make the switch to PBR recently and I couldnt find the "Top coat bump mode" and "Top coat bump". Why does it have weight slider but you cant set any map? Is it using the same map from the Bump option? Is this a feature or a bug?

Post edited by icemage1993 on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,777
    edited March 9

It is no bug other than a feature by design. Iray Uber is a universal Shader that can be used on all types of substance, while PBRSkin is specifically used on skin surface of human, creatures, etc. So some slots on Top Coat layer in Iray Uber that are not related to human skin, like Anisotropy, Thin Film, IOR, Top Coat Layer Mode, etc. were all removed.

Well, Top Coat Bump (mappable) slot was changed to Top Coat Bump Weight (unmappable), and Top Coat Bump Mode was in fact relinked to Detail Normal Map Mode, i.e. the effect of Top Coat Bump Weight comes from Detail Normal Map Mode and Detail Normal Map. If you open Shader Mixer to check the shader nodes of PBRSkin, you'll get it.

Post edited by crosswind on
  • icemage1993icemage1993 Posts: 68

crosswind said:

It is no bug other than a feature by design. Iray Uber is a universal Shader that can be used on all types of substance, while PBRSkin is specifically used on skin surface of human, creatures, etc. So some slots on Top Coat layer in Iray Uber that are not related to human skin, like Anisotropy, Thin Film, IOR, Top Coat Layer Mode, etc. were all removed.

Well, Top Coat Bump (mappable) slot was changed to Top Coat Bump Weight (non-mappable), and Top Coat Bump Mode was in fact relinked to Detail Normal Map Mode, i.e. the effect of Top Coat Bump Weight comes from Detail Normal Map Mode and Detail Normal Map. If you open Shader Mixer to check the shader nodes of PBRSkin, you'll get it.

Thank you again crosswind! So daz also has that shader mixer thing just likes those shader nodes/geometry nodes in blender? Wow I didnt know that. 

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,777

icemage1993 said:

crosswind said:

Well, Top Coat Bump (mappable) slot was changed to Top Coat Bump Weight (non-mappable), and Top Coat Bump Mode was in fact relinked to Detail Normal Map Mode, i.e. the effect of Top Coat Bump Weight comes from Detail Normal Map Mode and Detail Normal Map. If you open Shader Mixer to check the shader nodes of PBRSkin, you'll get it.

Thank you again crosswind! So daz also has that shader mixer thing just likes those shader nodes/geometry nodes in blender? Wow I didnt know that. 

Yep, that's right, however in comparison to procedural shader nodes in Blender, Shader Mixer in DS is not that user-friendly in terms of functionality, manipulation, etc. devil