Sun-Sky and Dome Simultaneously?

Is it possible to use Sun-Sky and the Dome simultaneously in DS?

I would like to make use of the lighting provided by Sun-Sky while still making use of the Dome for reflections and some ambient light contributions.

If not, in the future, a useful feature might be an option in the Environment Mode for "Sun-Sky, Dome and Scene".

- Greg

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

If you set HDRI map to None in Environment Map slot, you'll get more or less a mode of sunsky, dome and scene.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,001

I don't think so, though you might be able to achieve a similar result using an actual dome and Light Path Expressions (in the Canvasses ection of the Advanced tab of Render Settings).

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

crosswind said:

If you set HDRI map to None in Environment Map slot, you'll get more or less a mode of sunsky, dome and scene.

Not really because you no longer have the reflection and ambient light contributions from an environment map.

- Greg

Richard Haseltine said:

I don't think so, though you might be able to achieve a similar result using an actual dome and Light Path Expressions (in the Canvasses ection of the Advanced tab of Render Settings).

Thanks Richard - I'll look into that and see what's possible.

- Greg

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790
    edited March 14

algovincian said:

crosswind said:

Not really because you no longer have the reflection and ambient light contributions from an environment map.

- Greg

Not really... in this way, you still have reflections from Dome ground but you have to create ambient light yourself since HDRI map is gone... There's no other better way to bring 3 default modes all together with current DS version.

Post edited by crosswind on

crosswind said:

algovincian said:

crosswind said:

- Greg

Not really... in this way, you still have reflections from Dome ground but you have to create ambient light yourself since HDRI map is gone... There's no other better way to bring 3 default modes all together with current DS version.

What I am looking for, and wrote specifically in the original message, is that the refelections/light from the Dome (map) are part of what I need. 

I already make use of the Dome mode with no map hack in order to use Scene lights in Sun-Sky mode, but it's not a solution if you need the influence of a map.

- Greg

• Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 635

I've found that I can use an HDRI sky dome for either scene lighting OR a usable background.  If I set the exposure to use it as a background, then the lighting contribution is often too low -- I mean as main or key lighting.  If I use the dome for a main or key light, then the background is usually blown out.

Sometimes I'll use the HDRI with light settings set quite low ( Environment Intensity and Environment Map at around 0.4 or 0.5 ) and then supplement with a gigantic, bright spotlight hovering in the sky for a key light.

I cheat like a Hollywood cinematographer ;-)