Concerning NVidia support w Daz3D

Why does Daz3D only offer support for NVidia chipset GPU's?
Do you think Daz3D will offer support for other chipset GPU's like AMD anytime soon?
I'd like to explore the IRay options a bit more.
I have a good GPU and can only work with this progam through my CPU (Ryzen 7 top end) and I have 128 gigs of RAMM on my MOB.
It seems to me that offering support for other GPU's would increase their customer base (and profits) as I know many people who shy away from this great program simply bc of the fact that Daz3D only offers NVidia support.
Thank You! :)

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,076

Iray is developed by nVidia, though it is not the only render engien to use only nVidia GPUs. There is nothing stoping a third party from downloading the SDK and developing a plug-in for a render engien that does support AMD GPUs, though I think the number of options is fairly limited.

• enemyhqenemyhq Posts: 0
    edited March 14

Richard Haseltine said:

Iray is developed by nVidia, though it is not the only render engien to use only nVidia GPUs. There is nothing stoping a third party from downloading the SDK and developing a plug-in for a render engien that does support AMD GPUs, though I think the number of options is fairly limited.

Thaks for the intelligent reply. I just learned something. I am sure that there are a lot of us who would love to see 3rd party (and even better, official) additional chip support. I would like to upgrade my GPU soon as this machine I built is a beast: asides from my 8Gig Radeon 580X which handles everything I throw at it gaming wise.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

For gaming, I hear AMD GPU are fine, for everything else, cuda is king. Everything from rendering, to machine learning, to simulations, nvidia is the GPU that is used the most. Not really sure why that is.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

TheKD said:

For gaming, I hear AMD GPU are fine, for everything else, cuda is king. Everything from rendering, to machine learning, to simulations, nvidia is the GPU that is used the most. Not really sure why that is.

IMHO, it's because of the foundation they've laid in the acadmic community for the Cuda API:

https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/index.html

All one needs to do is check github for endless examples of open source research being done. IIRC, it was introduced sometime way back in 2006-ish? It's free and extremely well documented, which helped lead to widespread acceptance and support.

It's precisely this widespread acceptance and support that is the best feature of Cuda, and why I believe Nvidia GPUs are so in demand despite their price. Hardware is only as good as the software written for it, ya know?

- Greg

• ShelLuserShelLuser Posts: 748

enemyhq said:

Why does Daz3D only offer support for NVidia chipset GPU's?

Uhm, they don't?  Iray is fully geared towards NVidia, but that's because the tech was also developed by NVidia, so that's an obvious result.

However, 'Studio' provides more render engines than that. There's also 3Delight as well as Filament, both of which are not tied into NVidia. I also still keep the Lux render option around; an open source render engine which has nothing to do with NVidia.  (they're now called LuxCoreRender for some reason).

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited March 20

Another option is to export to blender and animate render there, other than a multi gpu render engine designed for production, you get a full featured professional platform to work with, that daz studio is not being limited in many ways. Diffeomorphic is pretty good converting iray materials to cycles.

https://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com

p.s. Of course the daz bridges are other options too, allowing access to Max Maya UE with their rendering engines. Though the materials conversion is not as good.

Post edited by Padone on
  • Another option is Octane, takes a bit more work but can give stunning results.

https://www.daz3d.com/octane-render-kit

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,218

weirdsciencex said:

Another option is Octane, takes a bit more work but can give stunning results.

https://www.daz3d.com/octane-render-kit

That's just a toolkit for working with Octane in DS. You'd still need Octane itself, which can be downloaded from Octane's website. Note that, while Iray can be accelerated by an NVidia GPU but will render on CPU, Octane literally will not render without an NVidia GPU.