DS doesn't seem to update - advise?

Now this is weird, and I can't remember ever having this problem before: I'm on 4.22.016 and am trying to update to the current version because of the new hair shader. I can see and install an update for DS via DIM just fine, but when I open Studio, the version number has remained the same. Also, I can open one of the new hairs, and it does render, but it is veeeerrry slow, and I feel the fact that it is working at all is due to the updated default resources having been installed as well. Something seems to be going wrong, but I don't know what and why. There are no error messages popping up or anything.

I have several DAZ libraries, but the program itself is installed in its default location, on the c: drive.

Would appreciate any advise you guys have!

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

First, make sure DS is completely closed before installing the update... then DS main application will be correctly updated, as well as the version number. Second, as for the slow rendering with new OmniHair shader... better post DS  log.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,388

Hi, thanks for the reply! To my knowledge, Studio was fully closed both times I tried - but I'll try again nevertheless, maybe I hadn't waited long enough. Will also post log then.

edited March 20

Nope, no changes. DS was definitely closed according to Task Manager; DIM told me it installed the update properly; but the version number and splash screen have not changed, and when I open DIM again, it offers me the same update again. This is so weird ...

Edit: Also checked the file path, that seems to be correct. To forego all further hassle, would it be safe to just uninstall and do a complete new install? The libraries are all save in other places, so I should be able to just hook them up again afterwards. I've also saved all the metafile changes I made.

Post edited by tsroemi on
    edited March 20

tsroemi said:

Nope, no changes. DS was definitely closed according to Task Manager; DIM told me it installed the update properly; but the version number and splash screen have not changed, and when I open DIM again, it offers me the same update again. This is so weird ...

Edit: Also checked the file path, that seems to be correct. To forego all further hassle, would it be safe to just uninstall and do a complete new install? The libraries are all save in other places, so I should be able to just hook them up again afterwards. I've also saved all the metafile changes I made.

Odd ~~ I wonder if you ever by chance installed multiple instances of Daz Studio...   Pls double check that by: uinstall DS first, try launching DS from all shortcuts you have. If nothing could be launched, install the latest DS and first of all launch it from DIM - Installed tab, see if it's OKAY or not.

SNAG-2024-3-20-0005.png
    1143 x 478 - 64K
    Post edited by crosswind on

@crosswind, yes it must be something like multiple installs, maybe I had it initially installed somewhere else and didn't get rid of it properly, but I can't seem to remember atm unfortunately. I will definitely try the full reinstall, but tomorrow I guess, since it's closing on 2 a.m. here.Will post results then. Thanks again so far!

Yea, no problem ~ pls take your time !

• jmtbankjmtbank Posts: 164

For me with install manager 4.22.016 is the current version.  

I upgraded from 0.15 to 0.16 today as the omni shader for the pixie-cut hair wasn't working.  With 0.16 it now is displaying the colours.

jmtbank said:

I upgraded from 0.15 to 0.16 today as the omni shader for the pixie-cut hair wasn't working.  With 0.16 it now is displaying the colours.

That's very interesting, thank you! Do I maybe actually have the current version number?!? I kinda just assumed it should be something with '2' after the 4.22. could somebody who's got the most recent Studio version please check also what the version number on the splash screen is?

tsroemi said:

jmtbank said:

That's very interesting, thank you! Do I maybe actually have the current version number?!? I kinda just assumed it should be something with '2' after the 4.22. could somebody who's got the most recent Studio version please check also what the version number on the splash screen is?

Maybe I was confused or misunderstood because of my bad English....but the latest version IS 4.22.0.16 !  You're good to go !

SNAG-2024-3-20-0007.png
    640 x 480 - 456K

crosswind said:

tsroemi said:

jmtbank said:

Maybe I was confused or misunderstood because of my bad English....but the latest version IS 4.22.0.16 !  You're good to go !

What a relief, thank you again! And sorry for causing all of this confusion. Am quite, quite glad I won't have to do a complete reinstall. Yay!