How to keep the thickness of clothing?

JamesJames Posts: 875
edited March 21 in Daz Studio Discussion

I made extrusions on some area of my clothing for thickness.
But how to keep the thickness, so it doesnt go flat when simulated?
And how to keep the extrusions inside and dont flap out. Join the vertices?

For some area that doesn't need to move / fixed shape is easy, but what if the area is dynamic?

Post edited by James on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

I ever responded to one similar thread from you in here - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8551061/#Comment_8551061

A quick way is to adjust Dynamic Strength value on the dynamic surface, as well as some stiffness properties.  And you don't need to join vertices if the garment is welded, just flatten the angle with Smooth.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,075

On approach is, rather than trying to thicken the object (which can cause issues) use a dForce Add-on to hold the edges curled over to to limit the extent to which a single-layer shaped area can distort.

• JamesJames Posts: 875
    edited March 22

@crosswind.
    yes, I still remember that, that's why I said it's easy for area that doesn't need to move / fixed shape

It's the dynamic area that I'm confuse. 'Cos it should behave like the rest of cloth, but still able to maintain the thickness.
    Making the thickness stiff, doesn't seem to be the answer.

@Richard
    For the dynamic surface... I'm still confuse with the video.
    I get the process. But Mada says something about making a bridge, I think she means making an extrusion from the original curve.
    What is the purpose of this bridge/extrusion?

Post edited by James on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,075

James said:

@crosswind.
    yes, I still remember that, that's why I said it's easy for area that doesn't need to move / fixed shape

It's the dynamic area that I'm confuse. 'Cos it should behave like the rest of cloth, but still able to maintain the thickness.

@Richard
    I get the process. But Mada says something about making a bridge, I think she means making an extrusion from the original curve.

To hold something in place on a dForce item you make a separate item that has one vertex aligned with one side of the thing you want to pin (e.g. on the folded back raw edge of the mesh) and another aligned with a vertex you wish to link it to (e.g. an area in the surface of the outfit close to the folded back edge), repeat as needed, with each pair of vertices linked by an edge (or if your modeller can't handle free-floating edges, link four such vertices to a quad). That gives a piece of geoemtry that will act as a tie when simulated, but a dForce add-on does care about collisions so it is faster to simulate 9and can be invisible to rendering if it is made up of edges alone)

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790
    edited March 22

James said:

@crosswind.

@Richard

Well, tweaking the angle of extrusions is a commonly-use way to make "fake thickness" esp. on the edge. Then, actually you want to set up separate surfaces on which you give them different dynamic surface properties with dForce to make them behave differently when simulation. It's also the commonly-used way by content creators 'cause it's simpler in comparison with weight node map as well as dForce add-on.

Like the screenshots I posted below, you can see the different results with different property settings on the trim with extrusions. ( 1 - before sim, 2 - default settings, 3 - with stiffness). An alternative you must've known, add a dForce Weight Node map (ss4.) to maintain the shape of edge.

As for dForce add-on, it's also doable but it depends. For the areas that you want them to drape with well-kept shape , you may use add-ons, while for the trim case in the screenshots, you don't really need it. BTW, as for the bridge that you mentioned, Mada just made it in between the selected edges... 

SNAG-2024-3-22-0018.png
    2560 x 1400 - 1M
    SNAG-2024-3-22-0019.png
    2560 x 1400 - 1M
    SNAG-2024-3-22-0023.png
    2560 x 1400 - 1M
    SNAG-2024-3-22-0025.png
    2560 x 1400 - 1M
    Post edited by crosswind on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

Another approach is to export to blender then simulate there. In blender you will simulate a low resolution proxy that you can easily get with a decimate modifier, then transfer the animation to the high resolution outfit via a surface modifier, keeping your thickness and whatnot.

• JamesJames Posts: 875

BTW, as for the bridge that you mentioned, Mada just made it in between the selected edges... 

Ah, she connects between the two edge loops. A bridge. I see. Now it makes sense.