From fast response to slow when changing poses

I am working on an animation project, and in the scene I have two figures.

As I'm building up the scene and setting poses, Daz Studio is being highly responsive and moving the figures quickly and smoothly as I change each bone's rotation or translation.

Then suddenly without warning, every bone rotation/translation now takes 2-3 seconds to implement, with DS being unresponsive, in the meantime. This effectively makes any further work impossible.

On reloading an earlier version of the file, everything works again. I saved and applied the later poses to the earlier file, and again, it works fine. So something has gotten jammed or corrupted in the process. While this remedy of saving and reloading poses works ok for stills, it makes animation all but impossible (I've tried saving poses as animations, but it just messes it up somehow). In any case I shouldn't have to do this. It should just all work smoothly.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might cause this unexplained slowdown, and possible remedies that could clear out whatever is corrupting it?

Comments

• Update: I've found it was one of the character's hair. Delete that and it all was smooth again. As a general comment, this is a good way to diagnose issues, remove various add-ons from a figure to see if that object is the one causing the issue.