Mac Pro 2022

Hello,

I have a question. I want to buy a Mac Pro 2022 soon (macOS Sonoma 14.4 from March 2024.) with M2 Ultra 24-core CPU, 76 core GPU, 128 GBRAM, 2TB SSD storage. Is DAZ 3D Studio 4.22 compatible with the Mac Pro? Or does Iray run problem-free with the Mac Pro? I will be happy if DAZ or someone who knows the information gives me the right information,

thank you very much

REZA

Comments

• I can't specifically answer your question, but DAZ Studio 4.22.1.99 (Public Build) is running fine on both my M1 Macs (M1 iMac on Big Sur and M1 MacBook Air on Sonoma).  Iray renders fine, though slow on our Macs without an Nvidia GPU.  The M2 Ultra should speed up rendering compared to what I have with the M1.

Someone might jump in with more precise answers.  There's also the Iray/Hardware benchmarking thread somewhere in the forums that might have a result for the M2 Ultra.  Can't remember the name of the thread at the moment.

Lee

• KenYanoKenYano Posts: 84

I tried Daz on my M1 Mac and was pretty impressed with how easy and responsive Genesis 8 characters were when posing and also smooth animation playback as well compared to my 3080Ti laptop I use now. It may of been because I had less content installed both Daz and third party which was maybe why it was smooth. The problem I ran into is that some third party utlities and scripts don't run on M1 Macs because of the ARM chip. That may be updated now not sure.  And of course you shouldn't really render Iray without Nvidia Gpus. I first started really delving into Daz when I had a 2017 Intel Imac. I would render on the CPU but it was torture. I still have to reiterate how impressed I was with my little M1 Mac Mini's smooth workspace environment with Genesis 8 characters.

• reza-designreza-design Posts: 85

KenYano said:

I tried Daz on my M1 Mac and was pretty impressed with how easy and responsive Genesis 8 characters were when posing and also smooth animation playback as well compared to my 3080Ti laptop I use now. It may of been because I had less content installed both Daz and third party which was maybe why it was smooth. The problem I ran into is that some third party utlities and scripts don't run on M1 Macs because of the ARM chip. That may be updated now not sure.  And of course you shouldn't really render Iray without Nvidia Gpus. I first started really delving into Daz when I had a 2017 Intel Imac. I would render on the CPU but it was torture. I still have to reiterate how impressed I was with my little M1 Mac Mini's smooth workspace environment with Genesis 8 characters.

Hi KenYano,

thank you very much for your writing. I'm currently collecting positive and problem cases for my plans. I think the Mac I want to buy is not an Intel Mac, but has its own Apple M2 ultra chip (I don't have much of a clue). I think now Mac system is different than M1. As I said, unfortunately I don't have that much idea. I simply have to find an address for DAZ support and send my question there without having to answer 100 other questions that have nothing to do with my questions.

Thank you again for your information and I will continue to collect information about it.

Reza

Google helped me write this.

• reza-designreza-design Posts: 85

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

I can't specifically answer your question, but DAZ Studio 4.22.1.99 (Public Build) is running fine on both my M1 Macs (M1 iMac on Big Sur and M1 MacBook Air on Sonoma).  Iray renders fine, though slow on our Macs without an Nvidia GPU.  The M2 Ultra should speed up rendering compared to what I have with the M1.

Someone might jump in with more precise answers.  There's also the Iray/Hardware benchmarking thread somewhere in the forums that might have a result for the M2 Ultra.  Can't remember the name of the thread at the moment.

Lee

Hi Lee,

I thank you for your writing. That was very good and I'm trying to find a safe answer to the rest of the uncertainty about Iray.

Thanks

Reza

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

Iray can only use nvidia gpus otherwise it uses the cpu that's slow and without denoiser. That said, you can always export to blender where cycles supports M2 just fine, including the gpu. So you can use daz studio to assemble the content you need, then blender to animate and render.

https://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com/