Why does certain hair completely slow rendering to a crawl?

I have several characters that use hair like Timothee or Paul hair which takes forever to render. Don't know why, but these specific models of hair, it can add an hour or two to rendering a scene. 
Disabling these specific hairs solves the problem, most other hair does not give me issues at all. 
Is there some way to convert the geometry of these hair models to increase the speed of the render?
It doesn't matter if they look lower resolution or can't be posed, as long as they retain the same general shape for my character continuity.
I've tried exporting them to Blender without much luck... 

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,220

What render engine are you using?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,076

Strand-based hair might be overloading your GPU memory in Iray, causing the render to drop to CPU (new hairs, or old hairs using the new shader, should be less demanding). Transmapped hair typically has lots of overlapping layers, and is usually shiny, so it can take a long time for a path/ray to decay to the point that it returns a final value in Iray, while calculating ray-traced shadows for overlapping opacity-mapped surfaces can be taxing for 3delight.

• I'm using Iray and render everything else with no problem. 
    Is there a way to convert these hairs to an easier to render version? 
    It's specifically a problem with Timothee hair but unfortunately my character is established as wearing that. 
    I've tried setting the resolution level to base with no improvement. 

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

You can try the scene optimizer, but that will only simplify materials and textures. Some daz hairs do use a massive polygon count, in this case the only thing you can do is to use a poligon reduction addon. Another way is to export to blender, do the reduction there, then reimport in daz, but in this case you will probably have to redo the materials since obj only takes the basic textures.

Another option is to export to blender then animate and render there, where among other things you can optimize and customize your figures as you need.

https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer

https://www.daz3d.com/decimator-for-daz-studio