how to render with 3dlite

VicSVicS Posts: 1,208
edited March 30 in Daz Studio Discussion

how to render with 3dlite

i can find not one video on it,

whenever i do use it it renders in no time at all and i included the result

if anyone can give me some direction i would love to try it out

i continue to be 100% frustrated with iray, offered to pay but have only gotten free advice and which lite sets, renders still look unintersting

Post edited by VicS on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,687

You must select 3Delight as your render engine in render settings.

But I am in doubt how 3Delight hadles Iray materials. Many newer products only have Iray materials. You could get something like this https://www.daz3d.com/rssy-iray-to-3delight-converter-and-merchant-resource

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,011

Instead of looking for ways to use a different render engine try looking for advice on lighting in general (in photography as well as CGI).

• VicSVicS Posts: 1,208

i have seen videos on lighting but none took me to where the renders look actually 3d, can you recommened a good video that will show me how

yeah I was using irays materials ok ill render a scene like anatomy theater and see how that comes out, if not good  ill ask if I cn get some tips how to improve it

even without switiching the engines I would like to know how to use and how m and b4 will come out with 3dL

Anatomy theater rendered in 1 second all black, is there an ythread how t ouse 3dL or any good video anyone knows ok?

• felisfelis Posts: 3,687

There is some threads in the Art forum, where people are using 3Delight, e.g. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/514336/show-us-more-of-your-3delight-renders#latest

They can probably better give advice.

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 482
    edited March 30

VicS said:

i have seen videos on lighting but none took me to where the renders look actually 3d, can you recommened a good video that will show me how

yeah I was using irays materials ok ill render a scene like anatomy theater and see how that comes out, if not good  ill ask if I cn get some tips how to improve it

even without switiching the engines I would like to know how to use and how m and b4 will come out with 3dL

Hello.  I’m a hobbyist who dabbles with Daz Studio and other 3D rendering software.   I’m retired now so I have a lot of time to give to this … not that I plan or expect to create masterpieces. I would say in general, that items created in the 3Delight heyday will render best with the 3Delight engine and that items created for Iray will render best with the Iray engine.  I have had delightful experiences at times when an item with materials created for one render engine rendered nicely (to my eye) in the other engine.

I loaded Anatomy Theatre, a few props and its lights and rendered the simple scene in both 3Delight and Iray. I didn’t try to change any settings; I just wanted quick renders.  The 3Delight renders looks better.

@felis mentioned RSSY’s Iray to 3Delight Converter.  I have bought that as well as their 3Delight to Iray Converter but I’ve not, regrettably, played with either one nearly enough.  Both are on sale this weekend, though, at 70% off ($6.20 each).

If you search YouTube for daz studio 3delight, you may find a very few videos that discuss 3Delight.  One is What's the Difference between Iray, 3Delight and Filament in Daz Studio (DAZ3D/Jay Versluis) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS1MPRJjDss.

Anatomy Theatre - 3Delight.png
    758 x 850 - 838K
    Anatomy Theatre - Iray.png
    758 x 850 - 938K
    Post edited by jjoyner on

jjoyner at first I liked the 3DL then I saw the iray one, that one is pretty nice, you used RSSY’s Iray to 3Delight Converter then just rendered, or was anything special done to it, did you use daz default hdri, change any settings in render settings?

as for the 3DL render what do I have to do to make it render, as I said it renders all black for me and took one second

I would love to see some m4 #DL renders after all these years of never knowing how to render 3DL

thanks

edited March 31

VicS said:

jjoyner at first I liked the 3DL then I saw the iray one, that one is pretty nice, you used RSSY’s Iray to 3Delight Converter then just rendered, or was anything special done to it, did you use daz default hdri, change any settings in render settings?

as for the 3DL render what do I have to do to make it render, as I said it renders all black for me and took one second

I would love to see some m4 #DL renders after all these years of never knowing how to render 3DL

thanks

I did not do anything to the scene prior to rendering other than changing the rendering engine to use.  Although I have RSSY’s 3Delight to Iray Converter, I did not use it for the Iray render.  I left the default HDRI and the default Render Settings for the Iray scene.

As to why you are getting a back render when using the 3Delight engine, did you load the Daylight lights that come with Anatomy Theatre?  Or add your own lights?  When I turn off the lights that I loaded, the scene is black and renders black in 3Delight.

Anatomy Theatre lights.jpg
    1761 x 1018 - 297K
    Post edited by jjoyner on

thanks that was indeed the issue, I did my first render in 3DL after 15 years! I wish I had known this simple liting issue before

how do i adjust the spotlites? can any kind of light be used in 3DL, point, distance, emissive? the lites in the theater scene as you know just say lites and there are 3 of them, I idnt know how to adjust these lights at all though, please tell me how

if the lites arent included such as they aRE in the anatomy theater where are these lites found? im guessing every 3DL scene comes with a daylite option

but how do we make a dark scene where just certain areas are bright and the rest rather dark to get some dramatic lighting?

I did try spotlites but either the spotlight was super bright or i had to delete it, there was no in between how are the spotlites or any lites adjusted in 3DL?
    does hdri even matter with 3Delite? or there is no option for it so i guess the answer is an obvious no?

when in 3Dlite mode there are few options in render settings, do you recommend changing any of them?
    there is no depth of field with 3DL correct?
    in order to get color you add color to the spotlite/s? 

I have seen some very colorful 3Dlite renders with many different vibrant colors in them, how is the done? in general though very pleasing looing the renders in 3DL come out drab compared to iray so such colorful 3DL renders are surprizing

My renders take only around 5 seconds, is that normal?

if i use the https://www.daz3d.com/rssy-iray-to-3delight-converter-and-merchant-resource

that should take care of any issues between iray and 3dLITE, anything put through there is 3dlite render ready and no further thinking is needed after that?

v4 domes out with half way decent color, g8 looks more bland but ill buy the converter today and see how g8 and any iray based thing renders better once converted

here is an image with and without the spot lites

https://ibb.co/1KwJ97g

(image wouildnt load here)

I noticed the gangsters jacket isnt smooth there are hard lines where it should be smooth shaded, is there any reason or fix for this? thanks

does anyone know if there is a group talking about about just 3DL?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,011

Lights are in the Create menu - 3Delight can also use Linerar pointlights, which don't fade as quickly with distance (in iray they work as regular pointlights, with inverse-square falloff). Point, spot, and distant lights work in 3Delight - though they may not cast shadows by default, as seems to be the case with your spotlights - but emissivs require a different approach, unless you use uberenvironment for your lighting with the GI option (in which case increasing the Ambient on a surface makes it emissive) and the environment light is also uberenvironemnt, not the options in Render Settings. 3Delight's only default light is the camera headlamp, if it isn't turned off.

edited April 3

thanks Richard,

that's awsome

let me tell you all, I have never had fun like this with daz until now that i can use 3DL, i dont even know if it daz was ever fun before

im getting better at iray finally but even i get great at it ill be torn between the two it seems like

can anyone recommend lite sets for 3DL that are great?

Post edited by VicS on
  • ImagoImago Posts: 4,905
    edited April 4

VicS said:

https://www.daz3d.com/ibl-master-for-daz-studio

This will help you a lot setting your lights sets. Since many of the pre-made sets are created for a specific environment, they doesn't always work as you need.

With this you can easily set your lights for you scenes. It works great in 3Delight!

Post edited by Imago on

thanks Imago

Imago said:

VicS said:

https://www.daz3d.com/ibl-master-for-daz-studio

This will help you a lot setting your lights sets. Since many of the pre-made sets are created for a specific environment, they doesn't always work as you need.

With this you can easily set your lights for you scenes. It works great in 3Delight!

Yes, thanks.  I don’t think that I had seen IBL Master before.  The fact that the store page states that existing HDRI products designed for the Iray Environment instantly work for 3Delight is impressive enough.  I’ve put IBL Master in my Wishlist.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

Keep in mind that 3Delight is CPU based, so it doesn't matter what GPU you get it won't be used at all. That's why 3Delight is much slower and generally not used anymore, since iray can handle 3DL materials too. Then if you use 3DL without ray tracing it is super fast, but the render quality may not be what you need. One definitive advantage of 3DL is it uses much less memory than iray so it's good for old hardware.

Yeah that looks like an amazing product,

I watched the video, still not sure what it does

in 3DL if items are off the viewport will 3DL still calculate them the way Iray does and make the render take longer or 3DL will only deal with what can nbe seen in the viewport?

what about objects that cdant be seen because something is in front of them, are those calculated also and add to the total render time?

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

Any ray trace engine must take into account even the geometry outside the camera or hidden by other objects. Otherwise shadows and reflections won't be computed right.