High RAM usage to the point Iray stops working.

Hi, I've looked into this and tried finding an answer/solution to this but can't seem to find anything.  I'm having a real issue with the memory usage when using DAZ, It's constantly at 100% when I try to use DAZ, I can barely move items around in a scene and a lot of the times, when I come to render, the Iray doesn't work and I end up rendering a black image.

I'm pretty new to using DAZ studio but my PC is fairly robust, so any help in getting the memory usage lower would be much appriciated.

My PC specs are -

GPU - 24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090

CPU - AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24 Core CPU (3.8GHz - 4.5GHz, 142MB CACHE)

64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,782

With an empty scene ? Better explain what you've loaded into the scene...

• No, it's not an empty scene.  Currently, I've just set up a scene in a ship's cabin with 3 figures loaded in the scene as well as the props.  I can get maybe one render out before Iray doesn't load, I've attached a screenshot of what I mean, doesn't matter what I switch to, when I either try switching back to the Iray display or try render an image, I just get a black shot! 

Screenshot (590).png
    1632 x 1095 - 355K
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,497

Help->Troubleshooting->View Log File

Attach (do not copy) the log to your post with "Attach a file" above the "Post Comment" button and we can have a look

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,226

Here's the thing - as crosswind was eluding to:

Some ship's cabin environments can have some pretty high details (maps, geometry, etc.,) and when you say three figures, those figures are likely wearing at least another three figures each.

This is what's kicking you out of your GPU.

I go through this fairly extensively in my Movie Magic show, but in essence - we can get Much Better results by rendering a Lot Faster using more of a VFX Studio sort of workflow.

Rendering the cabin by itself can offer a Lot of freedom towards giving the place the look you really want.

In the same way, rendering the characters individually gives us a chance to give them some really dramatic lighting. We know what the scene's supposed to look like in our head - but we don't have to try and "Force Reality" by actually relying on all of that geometry with high-resolution maps to create the lighting of the scene. Instead, do something more like a cinematographer would do for a movie picture - light the character in a way that you can make him or her look just the way you want that character to look in the scene.

For this I like to use joelegecko's HDRI Photo Shoot and Photo Shoot 2 - just on the characters. 

With the characters each rendered out as well as the cabin scene, we have So Much More artistic flexibility in how we stack them together in an image editor (I use Fusion, since I do animations) as we can adjust each render individually using all of the tools available to us. 

So as an example, this scene would take the better part of a day to not get very far. I'd have to cancel, save, and restart the render the next time I leave the house or go to sleep. But by using Movie Magic techniques, the characters (rider and horse) rendered in about a minute per frame, the terrain I gave about the same, and the rest of the elements demonstrated took very little time - like 10-20 seconds per frame. Sometimes even less for some things.

Here's a promo for Movie Magic, which also gives ideas of what I'm talking about here, just to give some visual clues:

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,226

Another example using the HDRI Photo Shoot HDRIs for characters:

It looks (in your example render above) like you want the scene to be Dark - probably because of the environment.

For the characters, Photo Shoot has some HDRI that provide the movie trick of illuminating the dark side with a hint of blue - for example, or some that have the dark really dark, but with a hint of side lighting coming from behind to help make the character 'pop' in the scene.

Cinematographers are highly talented people to make sure that the audience is always seeing Something - and that Something is what the director wants to audience to see, and how they see it.

Thinking along those lines as you work, light the characters to look like they're in the scene you want them to be in - but make sure that we can see them in some dramatic way. People have a hard time looking at things that they simply cannot see.

So, now that we've made the characters look like they're in the scene you have in your mind, we have the freedom to light the scene they way you want it to look - regarless of where the characters are standing, etc.,

Stitch the various layers together and we can add additional layers to finalize the image into exactly what we're looking for - the Director with the Vision!

I hope this helps you out. That's a nice GPU! Let it work for you! :)

• If you're just getting a black render, you probably have CPU fall back disabled.

One issue is that iray doesn't fully release vram between renders.

If you can get one render out, then it doesn't work, the only option i'm aware of is to close ds and reload.

To solve the render problem, try going through each asset used to see how much vram is being used. Render the cabin, then render each character individually without the cabin.

When you've got an idea, then you can change assets used(i.e. switch from fiber hair to poly hair), remove assets that aren't required for the render(anything that's not visible, doesn't cast shadows, or appear in reflections), reduce mesh resolution, reduce texture sizes, change texture compression, or a number of other things.

An alternative, depending on scene composition, is to render each figure, in the cabin, individually, or in pairs, then composite the images in a photoeditor.

• alan bard newcomeralan bard newcomer Posts: 2,106
    edited April 23

if it's on gpu and cpu and still maxes the computers ram  get battle encoder shirase as recommended in the forums here 
    Itr limits cpu cycle usage I generally run daz and only allow it 2/3 of available ram 
    ==-=
    cpu ram usage or video card gpu usage

Post edited by alan bard newcomer on