First Render with my 3090 Ti

the first image is using the stock lighting with the prop, which came out great. the second render is just using a background effect with 2 props and a light source. the render finishes before the preview pops up so i dont get a chance to see it render. Strange since I've been using my 12600k for a few months now lol. 

What can i do to improve/extend rendering time? The scene is just meant to be the model running to gather her thoughts.

dsaf.jpg
1920 x 1920 - 3M
jhkghk.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 1M

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,201

ProtegeArts said:

Strange since I've been using my 12600k for a few months now lol.

It's not strange at all, because even a fairly modest GPU can render a lot faster than even the most expensive CPU.

the render finishes before the preview pops up so i dont get a chance to see it render.  

What can i do to improve/extend rendering time?

What kind of gains are you hoping to make? You already said it rendered before a preview could pop up, so what are you hoping for in terms of render times?

• ProtegeArtsProtegeArts Posts: 36
    Gordig said:

ProtegeArts said:

Strange since I've been using my 12600k for a few months now lol.

It's not strange at all, because even a fairly modest GPU can render a lot faster than even the most expensive CPU.

the render finishes before the preview pops up so i dont get a chance to see it render.  

What can i do to improve/extend rendering time?

What kind of gains are you hoping to make? You already said it rendered before a preview could pop up, so what are you hoping for in terms of render times?

The first render took 10 minutes due to the props that were in the scene. Which came out great! Now for the second render, it takes about 5 seconds to render and the pop up takes another 10 seconds to show up on the second window. Overall, I'd like to learn how to extend rendering time on basic scenes like that. Just a background affect, with a few props. Which, some of the scenes I have written, are very basic; conversations in the car, walk in the park, picnics, etc. From what i can tell, more props leads to longer times. Using the second picture as an example, the props look good but the model is all fuzzy. Lighting my be important but I don't want to overuse the lights and ruin the mood I'm going for. Evening run after a long day, just trying to gather her thoughts. I hope that make sense?
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,514

Disable "Rendering Quality" and set "Max Samples" and "Max Time" to something like 50000.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,201

ProtegeArts said:

From what i can tell, more props leads to longer times. Using the second picture as an example, the props look good but the model is all fuzzy.

What do you mean when you say the model is fuzzy? Do you have depth of field (DOF) active on your camera? Is the bloom filter engaged?

Geometry does affect your render times, but at least for IRay in DS, textures make a much bigger difference (also a bigger difference to whether the scene fits on your GPU). There are utilities like Scene Optimizer that will help get the most out of your scenes, by removing normal maps, downsizing texture maps and so on. You can also use something like Instancify if you've got a lot of the same thing in your scene to reduce the amount of geometry.

Lighting my be important but I don't want to overuse the lights and ruin the mood I'm going for.

Just like with film, you're better served flooding the scene with light and then reducing the exposure, with the tonemapping settings in DS, or with postwork.

Also, as a general statement, rendering stops when conditions are met, whether those conditions are time, number of samples/passes, convergence, etc. If you want a render to run longer, you can change those conditions.

• ProtegeArtsProtegeArts Posts: 36
    edited April 16

Gordig said:

ProtegeArts said:

From what i can tell, more props leads to longer times. Using the second picture as an example, the props look good but the model is all fuzzy.

What do you mean when you say the model is fuzzy? Do you have depth of field (DOF) active on your camera? Is the bloom filter engaged?

Geometry does affect your render times, but at least for IRay in DS, textures make a much bigger difference (also a bigger difference to whether the scene fits on your GPU). There are utilities like Scene Optimizer that will help get the most out of your scenes, by removing normal maps, downsizing texture maps and so on. You can also use something like Instancify if you've got a lot of the same thing in your scene to reduce the amount of geometry.

Lighting my be important but I don't want to overuse the lights and ruin the mood I'm going for.

Just like with film, you're better served flooding the scene with light and then reducing the exposure, with the tonemapping settings in DS, or with postwork.

Also, as a general statement, rendering stops when conditions are met, whether those conditions are time, number of samples/passes, convergence, etc. If you want a render to run longer, you can change those conditions. 

---What do you mean when you say the model is fuzzy? Do you have depth of field (DOF) active on your camera? Is the bloom filter engaged?

pixelated. i guess the term used for rendering is butterflies. I dont have DOF, on. im just learning the basics down before i start learning more about the camera and its features.

---Geometry does affect your render times, but at least for IRay in DS, textures make a much bigger difference (also a bigger difference to whether the scene fits on your GPU). There are utilities like Scene Optimizer that will help get the most out of your scenes, by removing normal maps, downsizing texture maps and so on. You can also use something like Instancify if you've got a lot of the same thing in your scene to reduce the amount of geometry. 

I have used Instancify in other practice scenes just to understand it. For the second render i posted, it can't be utilized since there since isn't much use. theres only 2 props and a model. The background is just a "Render-Settings" option which is in the "Render Setting" tab. The background used is called "DTFCP - Future City Park". Things like Instancify and Scene Optimizer hasn't worked for me in this instance.

---Just like with film, you're better served flooding the scene with light and then reducing the exposure, with the tonemapping settings in DS, or with postwork.

---Also, as a general statement, rendering stops when conditions are met, whether those conditions are time, number of samples/passes, convergence, etc. If you want a render to run longer, you can change those conditions. 

seems like there is still a lot to learn. i stopped learning the lighting since i couldn't see what i was doing when all i had was my CPU. so i started messing with poses on my free time instead of actually digging deeper into the program. Time to start re-watching YouTube videos on lighting.

Post edited by ProtegeArts on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,227

@ProtegeArts

Very cool!!! Congrats on the new card!!! :)

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 551

I have EVGA's 3090 Ti and yep, it is wonderful (though a 4090 would be far better obviously)! Regardless, congrats on the card and do like @PerttiA said! Works much better!