How to clone a clothing morph to another clothing

I'm a little late on this as it may seem obvious to more experienced users, but I would like to know if it would be possible to clone a morph from one outfit (curious to know if it works with dForce outfits) to another outfit. For example, I have a women's tank top that is wide for a certain female character, but I have another women's tank top that is smaller for another female character, so I could "clone" the morphs from the wide tank top to the smaller tank top, so that it "imitate" the morphs of the original. It is possible?

Post edited by Magic Dragon 3D on

Comments

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,790

Technically, you can transfer morph properties from the "wide tank top" to the "smaller tank top" by using Transfer Utility, though I would not say it's an action of cloning.

But what is the result that you really want ? If you want to 100% clone the shape of the "wide tank top" itself to the "smaller tank top", I don't think you can make it as they're different figures with different base geometry...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,049

In principle, yes, using the Transfer Utility - but if the mesh is in different prositions in space the projections may well be less than ideal.

• Magic Dragon 3DMagic Dragon 3D Posts: 98
    edited April 24

crosswind said:

Technically, you can transfer morph properties from the "wide tank top" to the "smaller tank top" by using Transfer Utility, though I would not say it's an action of cloning.

But what is the result that you really want ? If you want to 100% clone the shape of the "wide tank top" itself to the "smaller tank top", I don't think you can make it as they're different figures with different base geometry...

That's exactly what I wanted to know! Transfering morphs from one outfit to another! Sorry, I think I expressed myself wrong when writing this thread, but that's it. In fact, what I wanted to do is the following: I had mentioned on my previous threads how I can distort the mesh of an outfit during a character's "take off clothes" pose, and the recommendations were to use tools like Fit Control, Mesh Grabber, and among others, or, the most difficult method, using 3D modeling software such as Blender, Hexagon and... Marvelous Designer!

Yes, I'm using a trial version of Marvelous Designer because I discovered that Marvelous Designer can distort the meshes of the clothes, so that they fit into the pose of changing clothes of my characters, but I had the misfortune of the "Simulate" tool not working in the clothes of my G8F characters, because even though I exported everything correctly as OBJ into the software, when using this tool to distort the mesh, the clothes simply disappear from my character's body and I can't do anything, I was just wasting my time, but as I had already purchased Everyday 2 Undress Poses and Clothes for Genesis 8 Female(s) which has clothes already with the distortion in the mesh, my idea would be to transfer the morphs with this distortion, and apply them to my character's clothes that don't have this distortion, then I could save the time of trying to fix this inside Marvelous Designer (I started using it yesterday, I know absolutely nothing about this program yet).

Post edited by Magic Dragon 3D on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,524

If one fits clothing to a figure, autofit creates the active morphs to the clothing as hidden dials.
    Have you tried fitting the other clothing to Everyday 2 and checking the hidden dials on the other clothing afterwards?

One would need to have the dials one want to transfer active, ir. have a value bigger than zero.

Magic Dragon 3D said:

crosswind said:

That's exactly what I wanted to know! Transfering morphs from one outfit to another! Sorry, I think I expressed myself wrong when writing this thread, but that's it. In fact, what I wanted to do is the following: I had mentioned on my previous threads how I can distort the mesh of an outfit during a character's "take off clothes" pose, and the recommendations were to use tools like Fit Control, Mesh Grabber, and among others, or, the most difficult method, using 3D modeling software such as Blender, Hexagon and... Marvelous Designer!

Yes, I'm using a trial version of Marvelous Designer because I discovered that Marvelous Designer can distort the meshes of the clothes, so that they fit into the pose of changing clothes of my characters, but I had the misfortune of the "Simulate" tool not working in the clothes of my G8F characters, because even though I exported everything correctly as OBJ into the software, when using this tool to distort the mesh, the clothes simply disappear from my character's body and I can't do anything, I was just wasting my time, but as I had already purchased Everyday 2 Undress Poses and Clothes for Genesis 8 Female(s) which has clothes already with the distortion in the mesh, my idea would be to transfer the morphs with this distortion, and apply them to my character's clothes that don't have this distortion, then I could save the time of trying to fix this inside Marvelous Designer (I started using it yesterday, I know absolutely nothing about this program yet).

Okay. I'm also a MD user. Yes, as you said, Simulation + Dragging in MD can make a garment some "undress shapes". But that depends if the geometry of the garment is welded or not. If the geometry of garmet is not welded, you have to use some tools like Pin to clamp the unwelded patterns otherwise they'll fall off or fly away...

As for the issue of "clothes simply disappear", I haven't experienced that so far. Maybe you can check the geometry of the garment...if any partial area of the geometry has very dense mesh, the garment might disappear because of drastic mesh collisions...when you simulate it. I ever experienced such a case in DS with dForce simulation... If so, relax the dense mesh in Blender first of all.

As for transfering morphs, it's simple, like the attached example. 1) Add the morph(s) to Favorites on ED2 shirt; 2) Transfer the favorites morphs to the target shirt with Transfer Utility. Done ~

SNAG-2024-4-25-003.png
    2560 x 1392 - 967K
    SNAG-2024-4-25-004.png
    2560 x 1392 - 917K
    SNAG-2024-4-25-005.png
    2560 x 1392 - 906K
  • PerttiA said:

If one fits clothing to a figure, autofit creates the active morphs to the clothing as hidden dials.
    Have you tried fitting the other clothing to Everyday 2 and checking the hidden dials on the other clothing afterwards?

One would need to have the dials one want to transfer active, ir. have a value bigger than zero.

I really appreciate your answer, but unfortunately I don't know how to do this inside Daz yet, but I'll watch a tutorial explaining this part in more detail since I haven't done it yet. 

• crosswind said:

Magic Dragon 3D said:

crosswind said:

Okay. I'm also a MD user. Yes, as you said, Simulation + Dragging in MD can make a garment some "undress shapes". But that depends if the geometry of the garment is welded or not. If the geometry of garmet is not welded, you have to use some tools like Pin to clamp the unwelded patterns otherwise they'll fall off or fly away...

As for the issue of "clothes simply disappear", I haven't experienced that so far. Maybe you can check the geometry of the garment...if any partial area of the geometry has very dense mesh, the garment might disappear because of drastic mesh collisions...when you simulate it. I ever experienced such a case in DS with dForce simulation... If so, relax the dense mesh in Blender first of all.

As for transfering morphs, it's simple, like the attached example. 1) Add the morph(s) to Favorites on ED2 shirt; 2) Transfer the favorites morphs to the target shirt with Transfer Utility. Done ~

Thanks for explaining! I still don't really understand how Marvelous Designer works, but what you said about dense meshes, it's a possibility too, but I would have to check my character's tank top and see if that's the problem or not.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention. To clarify things, I'm trying to deform the morphs of Abby's tank top, a G8F character that I bought a few months ago for a scene with her and Ellie from TLOU 2, but her tank top is a bit strange, because if I lift Abby's arms, the tank top mesh is bugged on the right arm, and I haven't been able to fix this yet but I think it's just a small detail that could go unnoticed if I manage to transfer the morphs from the ED2 shirt to Abby's tank top correctly.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,049

Magic Dragon 3D said:

PerttiA said:

I really appreciate your answer, but unfortunately I don't know how to do this inside Daz yet, but I'll watch a tutorial explaining this part in more detail since I haven't done it yet. 

Load the two items of clothing, fit the one you ant to add morphs to to the one that has them (select the one to be morphed, use the Fit To button under Constraints in the Parameters pane). Now if you dial up the morph you want on the other item it will be projected into the fitted item. Unfortunately these generated morphs are not persistent, they don't save with the scene, so you will need to export the clothing item as OBJ (alone, no added parts sucgh as buttons on Rigid Follow Nodes, and at base resolution - the easiest way to do this is to make sure the item is selected and then in the OBJn export options enable the option to include delected items only). I would use the Daz Studio preset. name the OBJ to match the morph. Zero that morph and set the enxt you want to transfer, export it as OBJ. Once done Use the Fit to button again and select None, then with the item you want to add the morphs to go to Edit>Figure>Morph Loader Pro. Click the Choose Morph Files... button and select the exported OBJs, set the import preset to Daz Studio (or whatever you used on export) and click Accept. That should get you most of the way.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Magic Dragon 3D said:

PerttiA said:

Load the two items of clothing, fit the one you ant to add morphs to to the one that has them (select the one to be morphed, use the Fit To button under Constraints in the Parameters pane). Now if you dial up the morph you want on the other item it will be projected into the fitted item. Unfortunately these generated morphs are not persistent, they don't save with the scene, so you will need to export the clothing item as OBJ (alone, no added parts sucgh as buttons on Rigid Follow Nodes, and at base resolution - the easiest way to do this is to make sure the item is selected and then in the OBJn export options enable the option to include delected items only). I would use the Daz Studio preset. name the OBJ to match the morph. Zero that morph and set the enxt you want to transfer, export it as OBJ. Once done Use the Fit to button again and select None, then with the item you want to add the morphs to go to Edit>Figure>Morph Loader Pro. Click the Choose Morph Files... button and select the exported OBJs, set the import preset to Daz Studio (or whatever you used on export) and click Accept. That should get you most of the way.

Thank you for your detailed explanation! I'll carry out these procedures on the clothes I have here and see what the final result looks like. 

Magic Dragon 3D said:

crosswind said:

Magic Dragon 3D said:

crosswind said:

Thanks for explaining! I still don't really understand how Marvelous Designer works, but what you said about dense meshes, it's a possibility too, but I would have to check my character's tank top and see if that's the problem or not.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention. To clarify things, I'm trying to deform the morphs of Abby's tank top, a G8F character that I bought a few months ago for a scene with her and Ellie from TLOU 2, but her tank top is a bit strange, because if I lift Abby's arms, the tank top mesh is bugged on the right arm, and I haven't been able to fix this yet but I think it's just a small detail that could go unnoticed if I manage to transfer the morphs from the ED2 shirt to Abby's tank top correctly.

I don't have that tank top but I suppose that the author didn't make corrective morphs (pJCM) for it. When you bend figure's joints, there's be distortion. You can check if there's any corrective morphs in the hidden properties of the tank top.

• crosswind said:

Magic Dragon 3D said:

crosswind said:

Magic Dragon 3D said:

crosswind said:

I don't have that tank top but I suppose that the author didn't make corrective morphs (pJCM) for it. When you bend figure's joints, there's be distortion. You can check if there's any corrective morphs in the hidden properties of the tank top.

It could be, it probably wasn't adjusted very well. I'll check later if I can fix this bug.