Time to say goodbye to Carrara?

Well... I recently bought a new PC rig with Ryzen 7 and RTX 4070, so today I tried to run my beloved Carrara and it's Octane plugin, but it seems not work anymore with this rig. 

Pretty sad, I paid a very expensive price for this plugin, but I can't go back to my old PC. Maybe it's just time to say goodbye to this beautiful, but so long abandoned software. :(

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,896

do make sure it's not an extension conflict first

Mimic was breaking it on my new C drive for some reason

also Otoy sent me a system profiler when I contacted support

I am still using OR4 and Win10 with a 2080Ti on a Ryzen3 though but latest Nvidia driver so it should be doable

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Greetings, namtar3d.  As Wendy says, please make sure that it is not something with an easy fix.  Love the specs of your new rig.  Hope you get much enjoyment from it.  If it does turn out to be time for you to say farewell, then I wish you the very best in your new efforts, and hope you drop in from time to time to share what you have been doing.

• namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 244

Hi, thank you for your answers, I just sent an email to otoy support team, I hope they can give me a fix. Octane have this amazing look that I can't reach with Iray. It would be very sad I can't use my licence anymore. 

Anyway, Carrara started to ask me too for my Architools plugin serial, and it seems to forgot it every time I open Carrara again. Very weird. 

namtar3d said:

Hi, thank you for your answers, I just sent an email to otoy support team, I hope they can give me a fix. Octane have this amazing look that I can't reach with Iray. It would be very sad I can't use my licence anymore. 

Anyway, Carrara started to ask me too for my Architools plugin serial, and it seems to forgot it every time I open Carrara again. Very weird. 

run as administrator

also grab the version that is opensource https://github.com/Chaplier/inagoni/releases/tag/v1.0?fbclid=IwAR3lM3yptVqAqC6-z4AISXXDEboBuyb0Ipr54jOZbzzdFn44PQlPlegqgEk

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

Sorry to hear about the problems.  I still run Carrara almost daily on a high spec 12 core AMD machine with Win10.  But not with some of the plugins you list.  Good luck with the fixes folks here recommend.

"Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us.. 

Octane v4 does not support the latest GPUs like your RTX 4070. 

Octane supports such newer GPUs starting from version v2020.2.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have any further queries.

Kind regards,
    Gabriele
    Octane Support Team"

Then is settled, my octane plugin for Carrara is dead. (Unless I pay for subscription, what makes no sense since I paid a lot for that plugin) 

I will try to install my old RTX 1080 on my new rig aside my 4070, but I think It will be impossible with my current power supply.I will need a new power source. I'll come back and tell you my result when I get it.

Thank you for your answers,
    I really hope this isn't the end of Carrara for me.

looks like it's the end of Octane

Carrara still works,

good thing my computer wouldn't support a 40## card either by looks surprise

subscription ware is like that, they make stuff obsolete so you need to pay angry

yeah if you can afford it grabbing a secondhand 2080Ti cheap wouldn't be a bad idea

I have similar redundancy issues with my old Win7 rig that wouldn't even support later Windows due to hardware limitations so later DAZ studio versions than 4.21 wouldn't use iray on a GPU if I can ever even get my 980Ti to not blackscreen it (more hardware issues) I do use both computers though,

a cheap second computer for Carrara with Octane could  also be an option for youenlightened

edited May 1

WendyLuvsCatz said:

looks like it's the end of Octane

Carrara still works,

good thing my computer wouldn't support a 40## card either by looks surprise

subscription ware is like that, they make stuff obsolete so you need to pay angry

yeah if you can afford it grabbing a secondhand 2080Ti cheap wouldn't be a bad idea

I have similar redundancy issues with my old Win7 rig that wouldn't even support later Windows due to hardware limitations so later DAZ studio versions than 4.21 wouldn't use iray on a GPU if I can ever even get my 980Ti to not blackscreen it (more hardware issues) I do use both computers though,

a cheap second computer for Carrara with Octane could  also be an option for youenlightened

Carrara still works, yes, but honestly the only thing I still do in carrara is to assemble a scene and render with octane. Any other feature is easier to do in Blender or Zbrush. 

RTX 20XX works with Octane Carrara Plugin? 

Post edited by namtar3d on

well my 2080Ti certainly does on Win10

it's more of a card and version limitation than a Carrara limitation 

you likely will run into this issue with Octane and  it's plugins for any software 

try the standalone to see

otherwise there always is that free Carrara plugin called DAZ studio with iray you can export obj's to

the latest beta rigged FBX is working really well too

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Wendy said

otherwise there always is that free Carrara plugin called DAZ studio with iray you can export obj's to

Heh, just love it