Smart Content does not work, v4.8, tried all earlier suggestions

FellfromGraceFellfromGrace Posts: 23

Hi

I cannot get the smart content pane to work at all in my installation of Daz 4.8. I have uninstalled several times and reinstalled. I have got the new CMS installed. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, powered off, powered on, all combinations. It just doesn't appear or rather the tab appears but there is absolutely nothing in it. I have tried running it from the button that appears 'start CMS' but that doesn't help either. It is not showing up in Task Manager either. I have noticed that DAZ is greyed out in my installed files in DiM but it does still allow me to uninstall and reinstall - which I did direct from DAZ site. I used to have some problems with it on the older version of DAZ but since 4.8 it hasn't ever showed up. It's only now I've realised there are some items I cant find that it has become a real problem.

I have cleared the log and reloaded. It says 'Error connecting to CMS'

I have attached the log file for your interest to see if you can make out why it's not working.

Sadly - and this might NOT be related - there are several products that ARE downloaded and installed but which I cannot use because they do not show up in Content Manager; I am thinking particularly of Actual Face Hair for Genesis (also Actual Tears) by MindVision GDS. I am sure there are several others. I know that Actual Face hair is there, but I cannot find it where it is supposed to be, even though I've reinstalled it. I have searched for it on my hard drive and it's there, and when I reinstalled it it said the files were already there, so I am unsure if this is related to the no content manager or not. If so it means I have several products loaded that I have purchased, but cannot use!

Please help, I am now desperate :-)

thanks

txt
txt
logdaz.txt
Post edited by FellfromGrace on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

First, what security software are you running?

• Also, all properly installed content with user-facing files will appear in the Content Library pane under DAZ Studio Formats or Poser Formats in 4.8 and earlier. Content installed using Daz Connect in 4.9+ won't unless you place a shortcut there, however, but if you can't connect to the CMS you presumably don't have any of that.

Also, all properly installed content with user-facing files will appear in the Content Library pane under DAZ Studio Formats or Poser Formats in 4.8 and earlier.

That too.

The reason I asked about security software is that there are problems with ZoneAlarm and Postgre...if you are using ZoneAlarm that can account for the not connecting errors.

• Hi - I am an idiot!

Mostly I can find the things in content manager - I've just realised that I should've said no SMART CONTENT! Content manager is fine actually, although a bit all over the place but I am used to that .... it's the smart content that doesn't show up as described above.

but just in case it's still relevant, I am using 360-degree total security as well as Malwarebytes ... and I'm on 4.8 at the moment

thanks for your replies ... :-)

In the Content Library pane...in the upper corner is a drop down menu, (looks like lined paper with a down arrow) is there an option to start the CMS?

• ah yes, found that. Pressed it. Nothing I'm afraid. The circle goes round as if it's loading, but sadly it doesn't. Same thing happens with the 'start cms' button in the smart content pane

After pressing either button, go to Help > Troubleshooting > View Log and grab the last few lines...it should have info about the attempt to start the CMS.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Does anything show up in Content Library > Categories or Content Library > Products?

• Do you mean smart content files and products? (I should've put Smart Content not Content Manager in the heading!)  No, nothing shows up on there. 'No selection' is greyed out, but 'all' is selectable in both options, however no products show up

• PS I've now corrected it to say 'Smart Content' laugh

No, in the Content Library pane under "Categories" or "Products".

• oh I can't see that at all. I have option for database or file - drop down list. Cannot see any option in that pane for categories or products though

Content Library pane should have 5 top-level sections:  DS Formats, Poser Formats, Other Formats, Products, Categories.

• AH! Sorry am being dense. No I don't have product or categories! sad

• I have two thoughts on this matter:

THOUGHT #1: I had the same problem installing DS on a Win 10 Home Premium computer. Everything was a clean install (new HD, new OS, etc.). Everything worked mostly fine, but I couldn't get Smart Content to show up in DS 4.8 64-bit. Furthermore, every indication was that CMS just wasn't installed. I resolved the issue by installing the 32-bit version of Daz Studio, running it and seeing if it could see the Smart Content. It did. Then I closed DS and opened DS 64-bit. Suddenly the Smart Content was back. It's worked ever since.

THOUGHT #2: It might not be CMS, but you could have a really messed up database. I had that problem on my old workhorse laptop (Win 7 Home Premium, DS 4.8 64-bit). Have you manually deleted the PostGRE database files? That is, actually removed all of the files (or at least moved them)? This would force DS to rebuild it from scratch (you would have to reimport metadata, which means any customization you have done would be gone, but at least it would work again).

I had a similar issue last year, and discussed it in this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/62373/what-is-the-path-and-file-name-s-of-the-database#latest ;

Read the thread carefully, and follow the link I include that discusses how the DB files are stored. Then if you need help understanding where the database files are and how they work, you could PM me.

Good luck!

• Thank you, I will try both of those options .... and report back. smiley

• Ok I have loaded 32bit version, but it looks exactly the same. I will have to try the database options .....angry

• huzzah! I deleted the database cluster directory, reloaded DS and then reimported it - and now it's back again.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your time and everyone else's who replied

yes