getting new pc

I am getting a new better pc. I was wondering what I need to do if I want to put my daz content and downloads there. Can I just transfer using thumbs or can I just use the install manager and re-install my purchases that way on my new machine.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,123
    edited January 2016

Reinstalling, especially if the destination folders are different, is safer (you can always move the zips, if you kept them, via thumb-drive) as the paths for updates will then be correct.

However you can copy over the isntalled files and the DIM Manifests folder (so DIM knows what was installed); if the installed paths match exactly that should work seamlessly (except for plug-ins and some scripts and shaders), if not you may need to set DIM to update to the current working folder instead of the original installation folder. Copying the content over rather than reinstalling will mean you need to re-import metadata. If you don't have either the zips or the manfests on the new machine you won't get update notifications.

Incidentally, for a large volume of transfers using the network is easier - if you don't have a router that will handle multiple connections, and if both machines have ethernet ports, get a cross-over cable.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • thanks richard