Lady Goo

13»

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,364

Mechasar said:

Is this a Shader or a Preset or are is it using a Material preset and if a Preset which Shader is it for please, i'm getting a bit confused. 

In short, in Daz Studio we call “Material” a preset of textures and materials with maps referred to a specific model (you select the whole model, then you choose its material, and you get it fully texturized and “materialized”). So, you need a specific model with a precise UV-map in order to apply a “material” on.

We also call “Hierarchical Material” a preset of the previous materials that apply on a model and all its attachment/wearables (e.g. Lady Goo’s hair). This option has the disadvantage of not allowing the user to manage the material options individually during saving.

On the other hand, we call “Shader” a preset of 1 texture and/or 1 material (commonly including an universal seamless map) that you can use on every model and prop. But in this case you can’t apply a shader on a model by just selecting it and choosing the shader. In this case you need to select the model, then go to the Surface pane and select every single surface where you want to apply the shader.

For these good reasons all the options included in the Lady Goo product are just “Materials” or “Hierarchical Material”, with the only exception of the “Lady Goo Glittering Shader” (located in the Materials/Shades folder) that allows you to add metallic flakes in the Lady Goo’s body by choosing her surfaces singly.

Well most of that has confused me even more.

I thought a shader was 

Shader: A computer program used to determine the final surface properties of an object or image. This often includes arbitrarily complex descriptions of light absorption, diffusion, texture mapping, reflection, refraction, shadowing, surface displacement and post-processing effects. In real-time shading languages there are two different applications of shaders: vertex shaders and pixel shaders.

from the glossary of terms

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46/?

I guess I'm wrong, I thought a preset was settings and sometimes textures using a particular Shader, an example - I think would be Iray uber. 

But from what you are saying Lady Goo uses a material preset, which as you say cannot be used on anything but the figure/item that it is made for.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,517

scorpio said:

Daz products/assets repeatedly use several of these terms in a way that is not industry standard, and not even consistently.

Most "shader" products actually do not include any shaders, and are instead a mix of texture maps and material parameters to be plugged into the existing Iray Uber shader. But then, sometimes shader products *do* include a new underlying shader algorithm.

Within the program itself, a material preset is usually an entire set of parameters/textures to be applied to some/all of the surface zones of a specific asset simultaneously (and therefore relies on finding the correct surface names), and a shader preset is *either* a set of parameters/textures that is not specific to any given asset/surface (and will apply to all currently selected surfaces) or may sometimes be an entirely new shader algorithm (often with a set of preset parameters).

But unfortunately, you can't rely on the terminology used around here. Texture, Material and Shader are often almost interchangeable in how they're used, despite technically having specific meanings.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,300
    edited August 2

Still experimenting with her files.

LadyGoo05.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 284K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • MechasarMechasar Posts: 202

I thought a shader was 

Shader: A computer program used to determine the final surface properties of an object or image. This often includes arbitrarily complex descriptions of light absorption, diffusion, texture mapping, reflection, refraction, shadowing, surface displacement and post-processing effects. In real-time shading languages there are two different applications of shaders: vertex shaders and pixel shaders.

I guess I'm wrong, I thought a preset was settings and sometimes textures using a particular Shader, an example - I think would be Iray uber. 

But from what you are saying Lady Goo uses a material preset, which as you say cannot be used on anything but the figure/item that it is made for.

That's why I specified "In Daz Studio, we call..." :)

Whatever the case, you can always copy the surface properties from any item and paste them on your model/prop.

Artini said:

Lady Goo on Caryn.

Still do not know how to make tip of the nose looks like its rest

and make forehead not so dark.

Iray is a game of light, you just need to find the right blend. Also light colors like azure, turquoise, can match better with the light spot of the character. Last but not least, I think using the post denoiser during rendering provide better results (switch on the "Post Denoiser Available" and "Post Denoiser Enable" in the Rendering pane).

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,364

Mechasar said:

I thought a shader was 

Whatever the case, you can always copy the surface properties from any item and paste them on your model/prop.

The glossary of terms i linked to are for Daz Studio.

scorpio said:

Mechasar said:

I thought a shader was 

The glossary of terms i linked to are for Daz Studio.

I know, but to better explain the concept, think of it as taking part of a math class. Mathematicians love to explain things using methodical and intricate definitions, even when you'll realize that, in the end, the whole thing is just a trivial operation ;D

edited August 2

Little postprocessing never hurts...

LadyGoo06.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 152K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,928
    edited August 4

Mechasar said:

Artini said:

Lady Goo on Caryn.

Still do not know how to make tip of the nose looks like its rest

and make forehead not so dark.

Iray is a game of light, you just need to find the right blend. Also light colors like azure, turquoise, can match better with the light spot of the character. Last but not least, I think using the post denoiser during rendering provide better results (switch on the "Post Denoiser Available" and "Post Denoiser Enable" in the Rendering pane).

..yeah, I know.  I used to work in theatrical lighting which was what 3DL lights mimicked. All we had to deal with was colour and intensity. 100% was the  highest setting. no 100,000 lumens, light temperature, or whatever (for colours we used gel filters). .   

Sadly, just about everything today does come with Iray materials which are more difficult to retro convert than converting 3DL to Iray. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Good for you, @kyoto kid.

After iray had come to Daz Studio, I have never used 3DLight again and I do not miss it at all.

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 331

This is such an adorable figure. was quasi an instant purchase. It's too bad that Mechasar doesn't sell the Slime Attack add-on separately. In the bundle is too much stuff I don't have and Slime Attack would go perfectly with Lady Goo.

edited August 7

In the pool

LadyGoo07.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 981K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,721

So Mechasar is like a goo whisperer?

• NylonGirl said:

So Mechasar is like a goo whisperer?

Probably while singing "Let it goo!"

• 3DmentiaNull3DmentiaNull Posts: 127

What do I say re: Lady Goo? "You goo girl!" (my apologies, couldn't stop myself) laugh Love the human render! / peace

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,721

Something like a Goo Guru?