What About the New Arm Parts to "Bend" and "Twist" on Genesis 3?

I'm wondering about why the Genesis 3 males have, for example, arm parts that are pretty much the same, except that one is labeled as "Bend" and another as "Twist." I pretty much realize the reason is to provide smoother poses. But, if I open the Parameters Tab for a part labeled "Bend," there's also a "Twist" in there. Similarly, if I open the Parameters Tab for a part labeled "Twist," there's also a "Bend" in there. 

Specifically, I'm wondering, is it better to bend a part only when the arm section is labeled "Bend"? And, is it better to twist a part only when the arm section is lebeled "Twist"?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Because of the Dual QUaternion rigging there need to be two separate bones, but DS displays them as if they are one so you don't have to modify each one separately.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

They are sibling bones, not 'child' bones...think of them as 'cojoined twins'

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

I do not think, these can be called as sibling bones.  slibing is just child of same parent node with same hierarchy..

Actually "twist" node is child of "bend" node.  then if  I  try to make Dual QUaternion rigging ,

I  set "twist" node as child of "bend" node.  (eg in DS joint editor)

about OP question, actually when you  select "bend node", then  twist, in parameter , the bend node can not twist

without you tweak parameter setting.  The real twist rotation (Ist axis rotation) property was hidden and locked,

but there is Ailas property for "twist". And we see it as "twist" property of "bend" node. with default  setting.

Sicne  it is Alias  of "twist" node >>  "twist" parameter.  so that, child "twist" node only twist, when you change the value.

It is same about "bend" and "side to side"  , when you select  twist node,,then change value of side-side, , bend,,,

these two parameter are Ailas of parent "bned" node >>"bend" and "side to side" properties.

"twist node" not rotate, but parent "bend" node rotate as "bend", and "side to side" instead of "twist" node.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

Because of the Dual QUaternion rigging there need to be two separate bones, but DS displays them as if they are one so you don't have to modify each one separately.

So, is it all right, then, to use one of these, such as the shoulder and set both a bend and a twist for it in, let's say, the "bend" item? The pose won't look any better if I use a separate bend and twist?

• inquire said:

So, is it all right, then, to use one of these, such as the shoulder and set both a bend and a twist for it in, let's say, the "bend" item? The pose won't look any better if I use a separate bend and twist?

Right, it has been set up to allow you to do just that for the sake of existing workflows.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

OK, thanks.