Local User product

I understand the point of this and in fact find it useful. However, I would like to take some product groups out of it and create a separate product for them. An example is an armour set I bought elsewhere which had no original meta data. I was able to create a product for it and do all the necessary categorizing, etc., and it does appear as separate product as expected. However, its components are still in "Local User". I can't find any way to remove it. Can you tell me what I am missing?

Another issue with creating products, which was not the case before, as I've created a number of them over the years since Smart Content came out, is that the product icons that I create and file in the "Support" folder where product data goes does not appear in Smart Content or Products in the content library. As far as I can tell I am doing it exactly the same way as official products are done. This used to work but no longer seems to. By the way, my DIM install of Katharina Hair was missing its product icon, so I created a substitute of my own and this appeared straightaway.

Comments

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

No actually at current,we have no way to remove assignment from Local User product.

I remember, few years ago, when I asked about user-made " product_data, "

support reply me clear,  it beyond their support. then can not help me. so that I can not expect  support reply me about product data.. indecision

Usually  if I make product from Local_User , I expect, these files should be removed from the Local_User  assginment.

but they do not.

(Or I  must find duplicate files.in smart content..because same files assgined for  two product.  Actually it happen for me)

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited February 2016

I understand the point of this and in fact find it useful. However, I would like to take some product groups out of it and create a separate product for them. An example is an armour set I bought elsewhere which had no original meta data. I was able to create a product for it and do all the necessary categorizing, etc., and it does appear as separate product as expected. However, its components are still in "Local User". I can't find any way to remove it. Can you tell me what I am missing?

Another issue with creating products, which was not the case before, as I've created a number of them over the years since Smart Content came out, is that the product icons that I create and file in the "Support" folder where product data goes does not appear in Smart Content or Products in the content library. As far as I can tell I am doing it exactly the same way as official products are done. This used to work but no longer seems to. By the way, my DIM install of Katharina Hair was missing its product icon, so I created a substitute of my own and this appeared straightaway.

Same problem here. DAZ Studio 4.9 broken my workflow. After some tests I decide to give up DAZ Connect. While I like the idea and don't have any problem with DRM, I don't agree with the way that DAZ Connect was implemented. I don't want live with wrong and deprecated metadata which DAZ is providing currently. Someday, maybe, DAZ will fix all products metadata, but until this day I much prefer take the task. DAZ Connect inserts bad and old metadata without my permission, so I just don't connect at all.

I think the trick to get LOCAL USER clean of duplicates is create the product before categorize and assign content types to the assets. That is how I am making my custom product metadata and it is working for me. None assets appears on LOCAL USER.

I have the same problem with the product icon, but just with the new ones. Old custom product metadata keeps their icons. It is so weird. I am looking for a solution and will let you know if I found someone.

Post edited by MBusch on
  • Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited February 2016

Thank you, so it is not just me. There really should be a way to clean this up as the Local User product is very untidy. I think this should be thought of as a temporary solution which can be eliminated over time.

If I were to delete the asset files of this armour set then use "remove orphaned reference" for its links, it should them disappear from the LU product. I could then reinstall the files and create my own product. This would be time consuming though, and shouldn't be necessary.

I am still puzzled as to why the product images I'm creating in "Support" are not getting picked up by the content library or smart content. The ones I created before 4.9 are still visible, I think, but none of them created since.

Perhaps the changes in the proposed update to 4.9 will address some of these problems.

Post edited by Hiro Protagonist on
  • Thanks, MBusch (your post appeared while I was writing mine). I see that what you are suggesting is in effect the same as mine (I think): get your own product created before the system has a chance to get its hands on it! Unfortunately I'm talking about assets that are already in LU because I didn't make products for them before.

I hope this will come to the attention of the developers.

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817

Thank you, so it is not just me. There really should be a way to clean this up as the Local User product is very untidy. I think this should be thought of as a temporary solution which can be eliminated over time.

If I were to delete the asset files of this armour set then use "remove orphaned reference" for its links, it should them disappear from the LU product. I could then reinstall the files and create my own product. This would be time consuming though, and shouldn't be necessary.

I am still puzzled as to why the product images I'm creating in "Support" are not getting picked up by the content library or smart content. The ones I created before 4.9 are still visible, I think, but none of them created since.

Perhaps the changes in the proposed update to 4.9 will address some of these problems.

The product images not being picked up looks like a bug in the product creation/import, please file a bug with customer service so it isn't forgotten about. The thumbnail path is cached in the database in 4.9 to speed up the lookup, but if that isn't being populated it is probably looking in the wrong backup location to find that image.

MBusch,  I think all generated file in ds 4.9, should be included as Local_User product, once when user  save it.

maybe if User delete these files once, (but keep copy) , and delete record from DB,(remove orphan files)

then install them again with user-made Product_dsx,  it may work.    but actually it seems overwork for me.. 

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1000831/#Comment_1000831

I see this section, again and again, then after all, how daz think about User made Product data of User made assets?

I understand, DAZ recommend user_data.dsx to set new category, or edit compatilbility etc about DAZ shop products.

(that means DAZ think, usually,,, user no need to make individual product metadata again for DAZ shop product,

and should not modify and record daz offered product.dsx  , directly.  if need modify, export it as User_data.

(about DB , it is same, but when we lost record on DB, we need to keep them as dsx, then import to DB)

Actually I do not think it is good for me,  but I need to keep DAZ rule, then I may follow your way.

because DAZ may change Smart content, or DB in future,

then MY modified, and exported Product.dsx which assgined daz product files, may not work suddenly,  then I can not get support from DAZ.

But,, ,DAZ do not hope user make original product.dsx about their original assets  too?   product.dsx should be used for DAZ  product?

edited February 2016

And One thing which make me confuse is,  in ds 4.9.  if I have two product for same assets,

I can set category,individually.  I tested it with Compatiblity too. , (it is discribed in FAQ too)

That means,, when I load assets from my product1, and my product2, it may change with auto-fit pocess.

or when I serch same  file, by compatiblity with (check Filter by context)

it should be  same about Local User product, and my original Product.

there is opotunity, one file have two different category, and different compatibility.

Then I do not hope to assign same my saved file with Local_User and my original Product

to keep stability.

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited February 2016

MBusch,  I think all generated file in ds 4.9, should be included as Local_User product, once when user  save it.

Nope. This is how DAZ wants the feature works. To make your custom product metadata and don't get the assets in LOCAL USER, you need create a product before start making categorization and assign content types using Content DB Editor. The reason behind this is that if you start assing categories and content type to the assets without create a product the assets will get set a Global ID as 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000, meaning those assets are considered user data and will be assigned to LOCAL USER. Creating a product before starting to assign categories and content types with Content DB editor sets a valid GLOBAL ID and the metadata created is assumed as Vendor Data. This is a workaround, and not how recommended by DAZ. In fact, I think it works fine to me, because I am not using DAZ Connect.

DAZ pretends that metadata created to third party vendors or user assets stay segregated globally in LOCAL USER and not separeted as individual products, as you, me, and some others have been working. That is the real problem which broke our workflow.

EDIT:

Oh, if you assign categories and content type to the assets before create a product, and later you decide to create an associated product, all previous categories assigned will be lost and will be re-assigned. You will finish with the assets categorized inside the newly created product and inside LOCAL USER. Weird, but it is as is.

Post edited by MBusch on

MrBush,, yes I think  you  feel same problem about this ds 4.9 ,. user product meta-data.

then I hope DAZ officially confirm these things. (what we can not,  what we can. and what DAZ admit)

My hope is really simple. I clearly divide my product and meta-data from Local_User product, then keep it individually.

at least, about files which I am now working and saved in ds 4.9. 

when I save some assets,, it may auto typed and categorized as user saved files. then I see, the file.duf auto grouped as Local_User product.

there seems no exception.   that means, I have no way to avoid it.  or (maybe I need to cheat CMS,, not to find my new saved items,,)

I may not against about DAZ product and DAZ product meta-data, (yes,, I feel same problem which you mentioned , ds 4.9 official topic.

DAZ offered product meta-data is still wip then we edit, it, but DAZ overwrite it about all daz product., then Ban user edit it. )

I hesitate to make new product in ds 4.9 now.  untill I can clearly find stable way to make original product.dsx. wihtout many process

edited February 2016

I hope yours check these step , then tell me if there is way to avoid it, (or I miss understand something)

1. I crealte new "null" scene.  then save it as "NewNull.duf"  subset.

2   DAZ stuido, auto add File type ="scene_subset" . at same time, auto  categorize as "Saved files" >"Set" .  (maybe ds select category by file type)

before,,, (ds 4.8)  it was  only categorized as "unassigned" I think,, (do not remember,, it had "set" sub-category too,, or not)

3  in ds 4.9,, ds set product name on to this "NewNull.duf" as "Local_User" product.

(Actually I think,, ds 4.9 first set Product about saved file.  after that, set category I think,, but the order is not problem,,

I only save the file as subset,,then,, see DS4.9  auto categorize and include the my new saved file, in  "Local User " product.

4  there is no way to avoid these process  , (as usuall)

is there anything I miss understand?  I want to confirm one by one step.

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • Angelheart77Angelheart77 Posts: 48
    edited May 2016

i dont understand...what's the thinking behind of daz connect? It was so good with IM...

i have a help request for this problem  so many days and cannot be solved with any suggestion they told me. Products icons broken.

I uninstalled everything and trying to fix it but nothing. I cant do anything ..i thinking to go back to 4.8 

Post edited by Angelheart77 on
  • It seems that something is fixing...After the help at Daz help and some efforts of my side it seems that problem is with old products only and with content db editor..i will stay with new version of Studio...After all old versions are not supported  (:

• GaryHGaryH Posts: 66

I just installed the 4.9.3.153 Beta and went through the initial migration from 4.8.  Just in case you still might be having issues, these are the steps I took to remove unwanted items from the LOCAL USER product:

1)  Open your Content Library tab

2)  Click on Products

3)  Click on L

4)  Scroll down to the LOCAL USER product and click on it.  Be prepared to wait as there will likely be thousands of items in this catch-all product.

5)  Once loaded, find your item(s) by scrolling through the list and using the arrow keys to go forward by pages.

6)  Once found, select your item(s) and right click, then select Remove Reference...,  click Yes at the prompt.

The database will be updated (might take some time depending on how fast your system is and the type of drive your DB is on) and your items should no longer be in LOCAL USER.

I'm a big fan of Smart Content and I use my own categories extensively.  I also create my own products for most of the content I acquire elsewhere, like Renderosity.  The catch-all LOCAL USER product seems okay for non-DAZ content that I don't think needs a product to be well managed.

• GaryHGaryH Posts: 66

Okay, I just created my first new product in the 4.9.3.153 Beta and like those in this thread I could not see my product icon, even though it was in the correct location in the Runtime/Support folder.  I created my own products many times in 4.8 and never had problems with the product icons not appearing.

Anyway, what I did to get the product icon to finally appear was to re-import the new product I just created.

1)  Right click on the Content Library and select Content DB Maintenance...

2)  Select Re-Import Metadata... and then click Accept

3) Uncheck everything except for your new product, then click Accept

I had placed references to the support files in the product when I exported it but I don't know if this made a difference when I re-imported.

Oh, and lastly, the fact that in product icons now pop-up when you hover your mouse over them in 4.9 is awesome.  It means that I can create larger icons than the 148x114 standard and when you hover over the product icon it will show the larger image, just like tip files do on file icons.  I find that the larger pop-up images really help you see your products better.  Just make your images in a 1:3 ratio.

• 3D-GHDesign3D-GHDesign Posts: 678

I just used that "remove reference" thing. I always have to wait about 2-3 minutes when I save a material preset or similar content, so I wanted to purge LU. ... I tried on 3 items ... I had to wait 20 minutes (!!!) when it was finally done :) I have 86000 items in local user :D So it is a VERY slow procedure with too many contents! I really hope Daz will find a solution .. a script for removing those content from local which is already assigned to product. This is insane :D 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,001

3D-GHDesign said:

I just used that "remove reference" thing. I always have to wait about 2-3 minutes when I save a material preset or similar content, so I wanted to purge LU. ... I tried on 3 items ... I had to wait 20 minutes (!!!) when it was finally done :) I have 86000 items in local user :D So it is a VERY slow procedure with too many contents! I really hope Daz will find a solution .. a script for removing those content from local which is already assigned to product. This is insane :D 

This may be a database issue. There is a command to condense the database (Content Library option menu>Content DB Maintenance) which can clear out dead entries, improving performance and reducing size.