Manual install of 4.9 beta if DIM fails to do ?

Hello, like I tried to explain in the title, I've just installed DIM so that it could install the 4.9 beta (I want to have both 4.8 and 4.9 on this PC), but I keep getting "install failed", so I was wondering if there is a way to install manually the files downloaded ? The zip and the .dsx files are there in the downloads folder.

Thanks,

navi

Comments

• The Beta does require an installation via DIM in order to coexist with the production build. Have you tried deleting the installer from DIM (right-click on it in the Ready to Install tab) and then redownmloading it?

• NaviNavi Posts: 443

Yes Richard, I re-downloaded it a second time, just in case (after moving the 1st download to another place). But I think this is the DIM that might be broken on my PC; I never used it before, it was installed today. I've tried running it as admin, just to see if it would make a difference, but it doesn't change anything. Says "install failed" after 1/10th of a second, everytime i try.

• Click the gear icon at top-right to open preferences, then go to the Installation tab - what are the paths listed for 32 and 64 bit software at the top?

I left them default, as the path seem correct to me (64 bits version in my case). I made a screencapture if you want to see.

DIM.PNG
    547 x 507 - 40K
  • Yes, that looks right.Try clicking the Show Log button (at bottom right in your screenshot) after tring to install and see what that says.

I really think DIM isn't properly installed, because when I try to click on "show log", after another 4.9 install test, nothing happens :) . It's strange, I did reboot after installing it this afternoon.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

There are several programs that can intefere with the installation.

The last one that stopped a beta installation in the way you describe was the Gigabyte overclock utility for my graphics card that I downloaded and tried a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you for the tip, prixrat :) - Can I ask, was this Gygabyte utility running, when it did interfere with DIM for you ? I've got a similar utility from MSI (Afterburner), but it was not running yesterday, when I tried to install the beta with DIM.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

Yes the Gigabyte utility was installed and active but not set to overclock anything, DIM worked again as soon as I unintalled it.

I suppose ther's nothing to stop me re-instaling it now, though I have not bothered to do so.

Thank you for letting me know :) , after seeing your post, I've uninstalled Afterburner, to see if it would change anything with DIM's behaviour (Afterburner is used to tweak the GPU fan's settings on my system. Runs whenever I use Daz), but unfortunately it didn't :( . Slightly bored with that DIM thing... I think I'll stay with 4.8 for the time being.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited March 2016

I felt it,, untill you re-install the package zip,, you may better,, once delete it,, then re-download pacakge.

beacuse somtiems, DIM download  package which luck some file I think. (there is no message about it,, i found them when check  file size,,

then re-download pakcage, re-install again.,,,

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
    edited March 2016

Thanks for the suggestion kitakoredaz, I've downloaded twice and same file size for both it seems. I will try a 3rd one just in case, but i'm not so confident lol :) , it looks like DIM itself is unable to do anything on my setup.

Post edited by Navi on